Cleveland Golf Launcher DST Hybrid Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
my father hit this at a demo day a few weeks ago. I think he was hitting a 3h/21 degree in either Reg or Senior(i think senior). He was hitting it fairly well. The best balls he hit flew about 190. He has it stuck in his mind that he is going tp put a 1 or 2 hybrid in his bag this year and I think he is going to go with this model.

nice review JB! I've always liked Cleveland's hybrids as they 'just workk' for me. I think it's great that they include the lofts on the hybrid, truly helpful!

• Admin
nice review JB! I've always liked Cleveland's hybrids as they 'just workk' for me. I think it's great that they include the lofts on the hybrid, truly helpful!

We are hoping more and more companies do it. Some have started to already. I liked last years model, I love this years model. I have had this one in my bag for over a month now and like it more and more each time out.

Ping has started doing that too with the lofts on the hybrids.

Nice review JB. Currently I am using DST 3h and 4h. and love it!!
good distance, feel...but, most importantly, these give incredible consistent ball flights to me.
I am heavily considering 5h as well which could be a real 'weapon' for mid-par 3.

I have been playing the XLS hybrids for about a year now, and i loved them. Just recently I tried the DST hybrids again, and as with the driver and FW, I swing a lot smoother with the DST's. I might hafta sell off the XLS's to pick them up.

The 2010 seems to be a hit for many golfers. I love seeing more people embrace hybrids.

i can't understand why someone wouldn't

Some people are true traditionalits and refuse to pick up a hybrid. I don't care what kind of club I am playing as long as it helps my game.

yeah, but a hybrid is so versatile. they're great off the tee, off the deck, out of the rough, around the green. i've tried a lot of different hybrids but never a cleveland. if i wasn't so happy with the machspeed i might give the dst's a look.

+1

I hit the DST's and I found it not as forgiving as the Hibore. I thought the DST was a good club but it felt stiffer/harsher to me

yeah, but a hybrid is so versatile. they're great off the tee, off the deck, out of the rough, around the green. i've tried a lot of different hybrids but never a cleveland. if i wasn't so happy with the machspeed i might give the dst's a look.

Just wondering how much offset this hybrid has. I currently have a TM Burner HL 3 hybrid and I find it a bit hooky. Has anyone played both and can give some comparison.
Cheers

The offset will be a little less, but with the new leading edge, we found no issue opening the club up.

I just picked one up last night. It looks great at address. I only hit it for about 15 minutes in Golfsmith. It felt pretty solid. I love the Diamana shaft...I have a Blue Board XS in my G10 driver and they're the best. Hopefully I can get out an play today and be able to give a little more feedback.

Bring this up...
Start of the season I retired my old hybrids and opted for the 09 Launchers...basically hit one and loved it so I bought two.
All has been well.
Fast forward to last week...
Hit a few of the DST's out of pure boredom as our small shop is my hangout it seems.
Whammo! DST is awesome! I hit them several times over a few days while comparing and the DST wins! Replaced my 2i and am smoking it! ONly reason I haven't replaced the other yet is they don't have the right shaft on the in-stock, so going to order up up when I return from vacation.
Once again, THP nails a review!

I don't like posting this but felt like sharing my experience.

I bought the 3i DST stiff and took it to the range. I wanted it to be but it just wasn't a match for me.

I'm looking for a 228 club to fix a gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron.

Ball flight was very high and spinny (off the deck), but too much so which robbed me of distance. It was just too light for me; I couldn't feel the club head during my swing.

For reference, my old hybrid is a HiBore that feels really head-heavy. I love the ballflight on that, but the shaft is a bit too whippy.

I can exchange the hybrid for another; any recommendations?

I hit one of these the other day at the range. The 18/19 degree with the Miyazaki (S) shaft. It felt nice, and flew high, which is kinda what I'm looking for from a hybrid. I wasn't too consistent with it, but I reckon with a bit of practice it could be a useful club.

I compared it to the Mizuno CLK with 'I can't remember what' shaft. The white one, S flex again. As much as I admire Mizuno, this felt terrible in comparison.

I purchased one for my father for Fathers Day. Got him the DST 1i hybrid with senior flex shaft. I knew he was looking for a 1i but was having issues finding a place that had it in a senior flex. He hit this club in a 3i with senior shaft at a demo day back in April and was crushing it. He loved the look, feel, and performance that day. We went out and got 9 holes in on Sunday. He used it to tee off on 5 holes and hit some shots out of the rough and fairway. Off the tee he was getting in about 210-220(which is really good for him), from the fairway/rough he was getting around 195-205. I wouldn't be surprised if he added another one of these to his bag soon.

I don't like posting this but felt like sharing my experience.

I bought the 3i DST stiff and took it to the range. I wanted it to be but it just wasn't a match for me.

I'm looking for a 228 club to fix a gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron.

Ball flight was very high and spinny (off the deck), but too much so which robbed me of distance. It was just too light for me; I couldn't feel the club head during my swing.

For reference, my old hybrid is a HiBore that feels really head-heavy. I love the ballflight on that, but the shaft is a bit too whippy.

I can exchange the hybrid for another; any recommendations?

You hit it farther than I do, but I can tell you that I am a bit surprised on this one. We have had over 20 people try this out and all have come away raving about it. In fact just friday THP member biggsy and I tested it side by side with the new Baffler Rail and came away laughing with how well this outperformed the Cobra. Nothing wrong with the Cobra, but it was 10 yards shorter and the feel at impact just was not there.

I hit one of these the other day at the range. The 18/19 degree with the Miyazaki (S) shaft. It felt nice, and flew high, which is kinda what I'm looking for from a hybrid. I wasn't too consistent with it, but I reckon with a bit of practice it could be a useful club.

I compared it to the Mizuno CLK with 'I can't remember what' shaft. The white one, S flex again. As much as I admire Mizuno, this felt terrible in comparison.

I have not seen one of these with the Miyazaki, but I would love to try that combo. I have only seen the Diamana combo.

I have not seen one of these with the Miyazaki, but I would love to try that combo. I have only seen the Diamana combo.

I was actually looking to try out the Diamana, after your review, but they didn't have an S flex version in stock. Think that might have stopped me buying it right there. The extra option over confused me!

I think I'm going to try the Diablo Edge Tour and the Taylormade Rescue next.

I'll stop by the range one last time and hit a small bucket before I give up on the DST. Just out of curiosity, did most people warm to it immediately or did it take a few rounds?

Hit about 90 more balls with it. In the end, I agree it's a great club but just not the one for me.

It's pretty much impossible to hook/slice that club, which was awesome. To the earlier points on distance, the stiff 3i flew as far as my old regular 2i (hibore).

I definitely started to mesh with the club, but even when I nutted it I never loved the feeling. Results were decent, but I'm a very "feel" player so back to the drawing board.

I exchanged it for a Diable Edge Tour hybrid...will post results in case others are interested.

Give the Ping G15 a try. I hit the DST in the store real well but then on the range I couldnt hit it worth a darn. Took it back and went with a G15 and when I chose the G15 I also hit the TM and Callaway. The G15 was 10 yards longer, easy.

Thanks OEM, I will definitely try it.

Incidentally I hit the Diablo Edge Tour 2i today...loved it. Awesome ballflight (a bit more boring, which I like); very workable club.

Excited to see how the G15 compares, and I think I'll give the DST 2i a shot just to compare apples to apples on all three.

Back