Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

Thanks JB, I'll keep that in mind. I expected those some where around $250 and up. What I'm using now is simply not cutting it consistantly.

I'll take that Diablo Edge off your hands if you want to remove temptation...haha

I'll take that Diablo Edge off your hands if you want to remove temptation...haha

I truly own this one and it did not come from a company to THP, so I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

What loft Diablo (and now super-tri) are you playing?

I played a 10* Diablo Edge and the SuperTri is 9.5. As mentioned I use a mid launch Miyazaki shaft to control my ball flight.

I so wish I could go through testing of different clubs and shafts but I guess it is a good thing I have not been able to locate a place yet, if I did who knows how much $$$ i would go through switching al lmy clubs/shafts :banana:

I agree with the others that posted. Of all the clubs I hit at the THP Demo, the SuperTri was the one I loved the most. It is definitely at the top of my driver wishlist. Grats JB.

Wow JB. I have to say I'm a bit jealous! Never hit the R9 myself, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Glad to hear you found yourself such a good club/shaft combo.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you have about found the perfect fit on your driver for you JB. Keep us posted on how it goes.

To everyone gaming the SuperTri..

Is it not too much technology? I think if I had MWT and FCT in my driver, I'd adjust it waaayyy too often and probably blame bad shots on the club configuration rather than my swing. I am a decent driver of the ball, I just don't think my swing is consistent enough that I can hit the same shot from every possible configuration to see which really suits me best. The way I look at it, if you're not going to use the technology (which I probably wouldn't) then no point in buying it.

JB,
How does the SuperTri compare to the previous R9? I am currently putting a new shaft in my R9 to bring my ball flight down, but if that doesn't help then I will drop down in loft from my current 10.5 to 9.5 or less to try and bring it down. If I have to change lofts, then switching to the SuperTri may be an alternative, assuming it is very similar to the R9, as I absolutely love my R9 head.

I bought the SuperTri a few weeks ago and can't fault it. It's added a huge amount onto my drives. Yesterday I hit at least 4 drives over 280 yards, even impressing the 4 handicapper I was playing with. I haven't looked into other shafts as they just aren't available here in Indonesia but I'm not complaining at all!!

I'm off to play at Mission Hills on 23rd May and am itching to hit those fairways.

Is it not too much technology? I think if I had MWT and FCT in my driver, I'd adjust it waaayyy too often and probably blame bad shots on the club configuration rather than my swing. I am a decent driver of the ball, I just don't think my swing is consistent enough that I can hit the same shot from every possible configuration to see which really suits me best. The way I look at it, if you're not going to use the technology (which I probably wouldn't) then no point in buying it.

Some say you never use it. I use the FCT a little bit, but no the MWT once I have mine set. To me they are bonuses on a great club. Keep in mind that all of their new R series drivers have it, so to stay away would mean me going back to R7 Limited and this driver and that are quite different.

JB,
How does the SuperTri compare to the previous R9? I am currently putting a new shaft in my R9 to bring my ball flight down, but if that doesn't help then I will drop down in loft from my current 10.5 to 9.5 or less to try and bring it down. If I have to change lofts, then switching to the SuperTri may be an alternative, assuming it is very similar to the R9, as I absolutely love my R9 head.

My first post has all of that information for me. It was 5-7 yards longer than the regular one I have played for 18 months.

Last edited:
Its possible, but keep in mind that cost will be a factor when it comes to Miyazaki. If it is something you want to be fit and order, I am sure Tim will be gracious enough to get someone to help you over the phone. Otherwise, email me your numbers and I can see what I can do.

I think a proper fitting shaft can make anybody a better player. Getting fit to the ideal shaft for my game increased by fairway accuracy by close to 50%.

Hey JB.......I never knew that a shaft could help that much with shot dispersion. I always thought it was more to get the flight height you desired. Is there another thread I can read on this subject?

Check out the magazine and the shaft section. I think finding a shaft that fits your swing is incredibly important.

Will do ....thanks!

I had the opportunity to hit this club at a demo day this past weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Very solid and the stock shaft was a pretty good fit for me, not perfect, but above average. Maybe it was just me, the range balls, an old demo club, not sure which, but after 5-6 good swings I had to put it away to save my hearing. The thing was incredibly loud for me. I hit quite a few on the screws and it didn't matter, still loud. Is this common or an isolated incident?

I had the opportunity to hit this club at a demo day this past weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Very solid and the stock shaft was a pretty good fit for me, not perfect, but above average. Maybe it was just me, the range balls, an old demo club, not sure which, but after 5-6 good swings I had to put it away to save my hearing. The thing was incredibly loud for me. I hit quite a few on the screws and it didn't matter, still loud. Is this common or an isolated incident?

I really do not think it is that loud. But that could be because Im used to the Taylormade sound.

My first post has all of that information for me. It was 5-7 yards longer than the regular one I have played for 18 months.

So the Callaway was 5yds longer the R9 and the Supertri was 5-7yds longer than the Callaway, so the SuperTri is 10-12 yds longer than the R9?

So the Callaway was 5yds longer the R9 and the Supertri was 5-7yds longer than the Callaway, so the SuperTri is 10-12 yds longer than the R9?

That is correct. I am getting about 10 yards longer than I was previously with my R9

The ST has been a very good driver for me.......Weights forward, back, different shafts, all has been excellent. Love the look and feel! Winner here!

Schweitzer: It isn't too much technology for me. I admit, however, that I do not move the weights around, but I do use the FCT. I prefer to have the face open 1 degree so that the club is "delofted" at impact and it helps me avoid the left rough when I overcook my draw (my typical miss with the driver). There has already been one occassion where, on the warm-up range, I was not htting my typical drives with the driver. So I adjusted it back to square for the day, and then went back to my normal setting the very next round.

Schweitzer: It isn't too much technology for me. I admit, however, that I do not move the weights around, but I do use the FCT. I prefer to have the face open 1 degree so that the club is "delofted" at impact and it helps me avoid the left rough when I overcook my draw (my typical miss with the driver). There has already been one occassion where, on the warm-up range, I was not htting my typical drives with the driver. So I adjusted it back to square for the day, and then went back to my normal setting the very next round.

I am the exact same way IL.

I've said it a bunch of times. Supertri is the best driver I've ever hit. Paired with my Oban Devo this thing is a rocket launcher. Dying to try a Miyazaki Blue though. JB if your ever bored we can swap shafts for a few rounds lol.

I have the Oban and it is a quality shaft. I dont think it is as good for my swing as the Miyazaki, the Attas, or the PX, but a darn good shaft nonetheless.

Back