TaylorMade R15 Driver Preview

Holy wow, they really did move it more forward!! TONS of details in the first post link, THPeeps.

Sticking with 17/1700 doesn't surprise me -- But the make or break has to be on missing, not the center of the face like SLDR proved sour for many amateurs. How does moving the CG further forward resolve this?
Less spin than the SLDR is no bueno for me. I got some really ugly (low) spin numbers with the SLDR at the Golfsmith in Indianapolis.

Less spin than the SLDR is no bueno for me. I got some really ugly (low) spin numbers with the SLDR at the Golfsmith in Indianapolis.
Some people need low spin. You aren't one of them

I see it & I think Transforners for some reason. I keep expecting to see it turn into something.

I like the colors and the tech behind it, but if building off the SLDR it's a no go for me.

ddec;3395861 said:
c1061694a7c27439b3af5a3419a05e11.jpg

Get two of those and I wouldn't need my snowblowing mittens. Yuuuck.

I do like the looks of the driver though.

Some people need low spin. You aren't one of them
Right, that's why I said for me​. I'm looking forward to your feedback. This could be a winner for you.

It may take some getting use to but i am not a big fan of these type head covers, I do like the looks of this driver however

Well, the Iliac style covers seem to be the buzz this year, I don't like that style as they offer no protection for the shaft. I will be interested to see if some of the issues that folks had with the SLDR have been addressed with the R15.

That HC is sweet. I do like that, a lot.

I like the look of this driver, to be honest. I find the center of the club-face more often than the last time I played the SLDR, so I almost think I'm willing to give the R15 a shot.

While I like that style of headcover, I like them because it's normally understated and old school. That one just has too much badging on it.

It's a bit frustrating that TaylorMade seems to be taking a lot of old-school stylings and playing havoc on them by looking as boy racer as possible. The color scheme screams classic (Wilson Staff should sue TM for ruining red, white, and black for everyone) but the execution is just...immature.

Get two of those and I wouldn't need my snowblowing mittens. Yuuuck.

I do like the looks of the driver though.
I'm with you. I have never been a fan of those style of headcovers.

Not sure why they wouldn't release the Black 430 version if they are doing it for the 460. It will be interesting to see a list of the 20 shafts available at no upcharge. I didn't get a chance to hit the SLDR other than a few swings on the LM, but I'm intrigued by the low spin aspects of the R15.

Does it have me excited and itching to hit it....no.

Do I think it's a solid choice for Taylormade...yes. Play off the SLDR and try and fix the biggest problem with it for most.

Does it have me excited and itching to hit it....no.

Do I think it's a solid choice for Taylormade...yes. Play off the SLDR and try and fix the biggest problem with it for most.

But how does this fix it? Moving weights to opposing ends while the CG is even lower and more forward? I just don't get it.

But how does this fix it? Moving weights to opposing ends while the CG is even lower and more forward? I just don't get it.
Add in the fact that its debateable that having a moveable weight that close to the face does anything to help.

I guess stability? Keeps the clubface from twisting as much on off center hits.

Add in the fact that its debateable that having a moveable weight that close to the face does anything to help.

Bingo.

I guess stability? Keeps the clubface from twisting as much on off center hits.

I get the "concept", but as Dean pointed out, its very much debatable if the weight there does anything at all, and thats people WAAAAY smarter than I am.

I just need to see/know more, I really feel like they've given us NO meat to go with anything.

Note the word "try". They'll market it that way and it will sell.

Some of us know better than others, which includes most of us here.

I get the "concept", but as Dean pointed out, its very much debatable if the weight there does anything at all, and thats people WAAAAY smarter than I am.

I just need to see/know more, I really feel like they've given us NO meat to go with anything.
Yeah, I get the impression that they aren't even believing it's a major step forward.

I have to ask....do I need a PhD to figure this thing out?

Feel wise not as harsh as SLDR to me.

Crown looks good to me.

Looks like another $500 driver if you want shaft upgrades. Seems to be a common theme this year.

Looks like another $500 driver if you want shaft upgrades. Seems to be a common theme this year.

Seeing what the market will bear?

Good news is it's a TM club so it'll be about half off come julyish

Back