Do you wear your golf shoes at the range?

chowmein

Reaction score
Handicap
I used to like to wear my golf shoes at the range... I feel more stable and I feel like I can rip at the ball a little harder....

However in the last few months I've stopped doing that. My left knee started to hurt after a range session because my shoes are just gripping the mat completely (when I wear sneakers my feet would just end up turning) and thus my knee is taking all the strain in my follow through.

Am I the only one who has this problem? Do you guys always wear your shoes at the range or is it sneakers only?

If I am hitting off mats I just stay in my sneakers. When I hit off grass, which is what I do most of the year, I wear my spikes. I hate hitting off mats as they give you a false sense of how you are hitting the ball. Even miss hits go better when on mats but grass will not let you get away with a bad swing.

usually just sneakers, unless I am going to a range that has a bunker practice area

I wear golf shoes at the range and I hit off the grass. I don't go to ranges that are mats only.

Last edited:
I do wear golf shoes on the range, I can't play without spikes, I always slip.

I wear my golf shoes at the range whether its mats or grass that day, I like to keep it consistent :)

I wear my golf shoes when I hit at the range mat or on the grass.

I wear spikeless golf shoes at the range.

My clubs and shoes never travel separately. I use them each time because I want to develop as much consistency as I can. I only have 1 pair (compared to the plethora of JB's collection) so they're easy to throw in the truck along with the clubs. I haven't experienced any knee pain from my body torque but I try to take my time when practicing at the range and not fire off shots rapidly like some do.

I don't hit off mats because I only visit the ranges when the grass is open. I don't have an indoor practice facility nearby to use mats for during the winter months, I just find another hobby or 2 to suck up all my time and money. :D

I always wear golf shoes and 99% of the time I dress as if I'm playing. I usually hit on a grass range, so I like to wear spikes, I feel more stable.

Ive always just worn tennis shoes at the range. Sounds I may need to give it a shot with golf shoes though...

I always wear my golf shoes at the range. Anytime I load up the clubs, the shoe bag goes in the trunk with them. Most of the time I'm in golf-appropriate attire, but I will have the occasional stop where I'm out in some athletic pants or jeans and a tshirt for the day and happen to get the itch to hit some balls.

This thread got me thinking after reading the new one about wearing a tee shirt to the range...

I will wear my spikeless to a range with matts to practice in. The walk from the apartment to parking spot can be lengthy. Less wear on the spikeless....

Golf shoes whether it is mats or grass. That is what I play in so practice should be the same.

Last edited:
I tried a couple of times wearing trainers, but I just didn't feel that I had the same stable grip that I get with my golf shoes so I always wear them to the range

I wear golf shoes 90% of the time anyway, so always at the range. Love me some spikeless.

I'll wear some sort of golf shoe, either my spikes or my soft spikes. One or the other, regardless.

Always golf shoes. Spikeless for mats, either spikeless or spiked for grass.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

absolutely. It's rare that I don't.

more times than not I do

I can't imagine a scenario where I would want to wear regular shoes at the range over golf shoes.

I was always taught (in hockey, but it translates) that you practice how you play, so when I would practice in hockey, if I was trying out a new hockey stick or skates in practice, I would play with it in my game even if I wasn't 100% comfortable with it yet, because going back to my old stick would change the angle of the curve, or how I dig into the ice and throw things off... the same translates with golf... if I am practicing in my tennis shoes at the range, switching to golf shoes for the course would throw off how I dig into the grass, and therefor throw off my swing, which throws off my shot.

Anytime I'm at the course I'll have golf shoes on. Most of the time Spikeless

I always do. I finally have some spikeless shoes now so that will make it easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back