Hank & Tiger are No More!

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
just saw on the golf channel that Hank has resigned as tiger's coach.

Figured this was coming as they've been talking about it a bit.

wonder who's next for tigger?

Tiger Wei?

Wow...

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

just saw on the golf channel that Hank has resigned as tiger's coach.

i guess hank can do whatever he likes ... and it's possible he thought tiger quit yesterday ... hank seems old school ... hard work ... sweat ... always keep your head up no matter what ...

and i'm not a tiger fan or a hank fan ... but tiger needs a support system around him ... and unless it was a mutually reached decision ... if hank was also tiger's friend ... low budget move to bail on a friend when they're at their lowest ...

there are only a few things in life that are truly unforgivable ... this would be one of them ...

I think this may be one of the best things that can happen for Tiger right now. I really think he was a better player before Haney, and even if he doesn't go back to Butch (which I highly doubt he would), maybe the next guy can get more consistency into Tiger's game - once his mind gets more settled (and the divorce is finalized) :act-up:.

I knew this was only a matter of time. You can only learn so much from an individual before having to evolve to another coach.

if hank was also tiger's friend ... low budget move to bail on a friend when they're at their lowest ...

there are only a few things in life that are truly unforgivable ... this would be one of them ...

Friendship is one thing, business is another. Tiger isn't playing like his old self and might need someone else to get him out of the funk he is in. Probably not the easiest decision, but most likely necessary.

once his mind gets more settled
not excusing his infidelity or any othe behaviors that hurt people who loved him ... but what he's going through now is profoundly, severely, and unyieldingly wearisome ... getting his mind settled is the understatement of the year ... he just needs to hold on and wait it out because the process is going to take a long, long time ...

I knew this was only a matter of time. You can only learn so much from an individual before having to evolve to another coach.

Friendship is one thing, business is another. Tiger isn't playing like his old self and might need someone else to get him out of the funk he is in. Probably not the easiest decision, but most likely necessary.

if it was tigers decision or mutual agreement it's fine ...
but if it was hanks unilateral decision ... shame on hank is all i'll say ...

Definitely interesting, but being at Tigers beck and call for 6 years has to be rough on your life

I'd find it hard to believe that they hadn't talked about it before the decision went public. I don't think Hank, or any coach for that matter, would drop the #1 ranked golfer because he has been playing poorly recently. My guess is that either they aren't feeling like a good match now or Hank is too busy with other students and his Golf Channel show(s) to give Tiger the attention he needs.

Not a big surprise. I personally think Hank was a bit tired of all the attention and criticism being Tiger's coach carries w/ it.

Also, Tiger wasn't always a big defender of Hank when asked about him. Tiger usually could have shielded Hank from any criticism if he wanted to, but he constantly only said, "Hank is my coach", and left it at that.

I think Hank was just ready to move on and be done w/ it. I think to him, it probably simply isn't worth all the headaches.

time for Tigger to retire

Sunday_Hacker said:
time for Tigger to retire
Booooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-insider/haney-walks-away-from-woods-36691/

Haney walks away from Woods
By GolfChannel.com Team
Posted: May 10, 2010

Hank Haney’s six-year run as Tiger Woods’ swing coach is over.

Haney told Golf Channel late Monday that he has informed Woods that he will no longer be his coach.

“Just so there is no confusion, I would like to make it clear that this is my decision,” Haney said in a statement released to Golf Channel.

“Tiger Woods and I will always be friends, but I believe that there is a time and place for everything, and I feel at this time and at this place in my life I want to move forward in other areas.”

Haney has endured harsh scrutiny almost since the day he first teamed with Woods in March of 2004. The criticism of Woods’ swing has heightened the last two weeks, since Woods missed the cut at the Quail Hollow Championship and again last week when Woods struggled with wild shots at The Players Championship.

NBC analyst Johnny Miller said last week that Woods ought to abandon Haney’s swing principles and return to the swing he used under Butch Harmon when he won four consecutive majors in 2000 and ’01.

Woods won 31 PGA Tour events and six majors in his six seasons under Haney.

Here’s Haney’s complete statement:

“I have informed Tiger Woods this evening that I will no longer be his coach. I would like to thank Tiger for the opportunity that I have had to work with him over the past 6 plus years. Tiger Woods has done the work to achieve a level of greatness that I believe the game of golf has never seen before and I will always appreciate the opportunity that I have had to contribute to his successes.

“I have also enjoyed the association that I have had with Tiger both on and off the golf course as I have had some incredible experiences. “In coaching and teaching Tiger I have also learned a lot, not only about golf, but about people and life in general. It has been a great learning experience and along the way Tiger has elevated me in my own profession to a level that I never thought I would achieve before I had the opportunity to work with him. In many ways because of all of the time that I have spent with Tiger, I may have learned more from him than he has ever learned from me.

“However, I believe at this time that it is in both of our best interests for me to step aside as Tiger's coach. I will always look back upon our past half dozen years together as my best days in professional golf. It would be a dream of any coach to have a student like Tiger Woods and for me it has a dream come true.

“Just so there is no confusion, I would like to make it clear that this is my decision. Tiger Woods and I will always be friends, but I believe that there is a time and place for everything and I feel at this time and at this place in my life I want to move forward in other areas. “Tiger has been just an incredible performer in golf and he has achieved great success throughout his career. First with his father Earl, and then with Butch Harmon as his coach, followed by me, I know Tiger Woods will be successful in the future no matter who helps him. He is an incredible athlete with an incredible work ethic. As we all know, Tiger has been through a lot in the last six months, and I really believe that given the chance, mind free and injury free, we will all see Tiger Woods play once again like we all know he can. I wish Tiger well, not only with his golf, but in finding peace and happiness in all aspects of his life. Tiger knows that if he ever needs me in anyway, whether it be with his golf or just as a friend he can always call. I will always, as I have been in the past, be there for him. From a personal standpoint, I look forward to being able to make many more contributions to the great game of golf in the days and years ahead.”

I'd find it hard to believe that they hadn't talked about it before the decision went public. I don't think Hank, or any coach for that matter, would drop the #1 ranked golfer because he has been playing poorly recently. My guess is that either they aren't feeling like a good match now or Hank is too busy with other students and his Golf Channel show(s) to give Tiger the attention he needs.

hope you're right ... so much to speculate about ... since last time here i saw the haney statement and it suggests it was a unilateral decision ...

i don't think haney would dump tiger for playing badly ... but if hank thought tiger packed it in and quit on sunday then i could at least understand why he'd make this untimely move ...

i still think that if hank is tigers friend ... he can't quit on him ... if tiger wanted hank around ... even if he quit sunday ... hank needs to respect their friendship and give tiger the support he needs ...

tigers world is much more catastrophic than anyone can imagine ...

i took a hard line on tiger when the news first broke about his infidelity ... and said many times this train wreck is just the beginning ... but he needs to able to rely on support and guidance as he tries to rebuild his life ... and the timing of hanks decision is very unsettling for tiger's efforts to bring stability back into his entire life ... both golf and personal ...

<shoulder shrug> it nearly makes me want to cheer for him again ... he still hasn't hit bottom and when he does it could be more tragic than we think it's already been ...

after some thought here's what i think happened ... from what i've read about hank ... he strikes me as a stubborn person ... one who can't doesn't take criticism well ... and probably is a know it all type ... and he also seems a bit insecure ...

tiger and hank may have gotten into an argument sunday ... maybe about tiger withdrawing ... maybe about tigers difficulties this season ... maybe about other things and more ... but they got into a heated argument ... and tiger probably ripped into hank and hanks ego was hurt ...

hank then acted out and dumped tiger ...

i've read people say this was coming ... which may be true ... but again the timing of it strikes me as very unusual ... even wrong as between two people who are friends ... and when i looked over hanks statement again it has tell tale signs of hurt feelings, lashing out, and having the last say ...

I hope this puts a little more fire back into tigers game. There was nothing like watching him 98-04

not excusing his infidelity or any othe behaviors that hurt people who loved him ... but what he's going through now is profoundly, severely, and unyieldingly wearisome ... getting his mind settled is the understatement of the year ... he just needs to hold on and wait it out because the process is going to take a long, long time ...

Sorry, I call absurd. So if you have a friend that does the unthinkable (in your opinion) and you dont agree with his actions, you have to stand by him any way? Absolutely ridiculous. While they may have been friends in the classic case, Hank Haney was Tiger Woods' employee. He was not coming over for Thanksgiving dinner, he was paid to assist him.

I think is an example of how you can separate business and pleasure. Hank was on Tiger's payroll and maybe had a friendless relationship with him. Aside from that I doubt they were having beers together. Anyone else besides Tiger or Phil change swing coaches and no one notices. But since it's Tiger, him pulling out, and Johnny Millers rant on him needing a change well it's just bigger news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who's the next in line for Tiger? Back to Butch (Not likely)? Butch himself has said that unless the student is willing to give 100% and do whatever it takes to reach the goal, he is not interested in a continued relationship with the student.

Personally I think Tiger is in for a long dry spell, and may never be the dominant figure that he was. Especially with his dad no longer around. Granted that his father turned out to not be a great a man as we all thought. He did however, have the "old school" mentality of work hard, dominate, and then have your fun. I think Tiger has lost that focus.

I don't think it was Haney's idea.

I think Tiger wanted to go in another direction and rather than fire Haney, he just let him "resign".

I have to a agree with others who have told Tiger to dump Haney and I especially agreed with Johnny Miller when he said that Tiger ought to watch tape of himself at the 2000 U.S. Open and copy that swing. I liked Tiger's swing and overall approach to the game back then far more than recently and I think that Haney's influence has placed too many restrictions on Tiger from a mechanics point of view by trying to create a robot instead of having him just let it fly.

Statistically, Tiger may have improved a bit under Haney, but I think he's sacrificed a lot of what made him who he is. Tiger will never be a "PGA Clone" like so many other players out there and I think Haney was headed in that direction with him.

If it were possible, I'd love to see Tiger go back to Harmon. But no matter who he ends up with, Tiger needs someone who can once again allow him to do all his "Tiger Stuff" with just a bit more overall control than back in 2000, but that's it. A little control is all he ever needed, not complete control as Haney seems to have idealized. Part of what made Tiger the player he is is his ability to step outside the box when necessary and I've really not seen that under Haney.

-JP

Back