Transporting Clubs

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
Since the Florida outing is just around the corner and I plan on going, how will I get my clubs there? Do I need to buy a travel case? How much do they run? What do I need to look for? Etc. etc. etc.

Always looking out :wink: Thanks!

Just get a decent soft cover bag. I bought two Hummer brand on ebay for less than $110 shipped for us. I don't see any in the United States at the moment. Most importantly, get something called a Stiff Arm (we got ours from Discount Dan's for about25 bucks each, shipped).

clubglove_stiffarm_large.jpg

I concur... I believe the "Stiff Arm" is very important.

I concur... I believe the "Stiff Arm" is very important.

Yep. that's the important thing. I'd also make sure to use towels or bubble wrap or something similar around and through your clubs to keep them from moving around. The bag, while important, does not have to cost a bunch of money to be adequate.

You may have to sign something to release the airline from damage to the clubs if it's not a hard case. But that's no big deal unless you buy the cheapest soft bag out there.

I don't know if you have any GolfUSA stores in your area, but the one we had here rented out hard travel cases. If I can make it I am going to look around and see if I can find one to rent instead of buy.

That'd be nice to rent one instead of purchasing one. I don't plan on travelling very often with my clubs with me. I'm also worried about the airline and my clubs since there's no direct flight from here to Florida :( and I don't want them getting damaged, or worse - lost!!

Only trouble with hard cases is transporting them. You can't push them into a spot that they won't fit! The size they are is the size they stay.

They are the best way to go if space isn't an issue.

I don't know if you have any GolfUSA stores in your area, but the one we had here rented out hard travel cases. If I can make it I am going to look around and see if I can find one to rent instead of buy.

I've rented hard travel cases from GolfUSA before as well. $10 for a weeks use is an awesome bargain!

Yikes!! The closest GolfUSA to me is in Santa Rosa which is about 9 hours away...yeah, I guess I won't be going there :(

Yep. that's the important thing. I'd also make sure to use towels or bubble wrap or something similar around and through your clubs to keep them from moving around. The bag, while important, does not have to cost a bunch of money to be adequate.

You may have to sign something to release the airline from damage to the clubs if it's not a hard case. But that's no big deal unless you buy the cheapest soft bag out there.

Good post. Yes you should weave a towel through your driver and fairway woods to keep them in place. If you have a choice in airlines, I would highly recommend Southwest. You can check 1 piece of luggage and your golf travel bag for FREE!! If your golf travel case is soft shell you will have to sign a waiver with them. Also one advantage with getting a soft case is that you can either fold it or slide it under your bed if your staying at a hotel. It's also easier to pack into a smaller vehicle.

Yikes!! The closest GolfUSA to me is in Santa Rosa which is about 9 hours away...yeah, I guess I won't be going there :(

They're all gone from the Portland Metro area too. My FIL has a hard case that he's loaning to me when I'm down in SoCal in August.

Good post. Yes you should weave a towel through your driver and fairway woods to keep them in place. If you have a choice in airlines, I would highly recommend Southwest. You can check 1 piece of luggage and your golf travel bag for FREE!! If your golf travel case is soft shell you will have to sign a waiver with them. Also one advantage with getting a soft case is that you can either fold it or slide it under your bed if your staying at a hotel. It's also easier to pack into a smaller vehicle.

Starting in August, no more connections of Southwest from the Los Angeles area to Palm Beach :(

They just couldn't wait until the end of the year!!!

I have used a hard case, not I have kind of a hybrid type. Plenty of packing space in it. I have no complaints about it yet.

p2169256p275w.jpg

Does your bag full of clubs go in there as is? :confused2:

Does your bag full of clubs go in there as is? :confused2:

I tend to wrap a towel around and in between the clubs so they don't rattle against each other so much. It has big pockets and a lot of space so I'm also able to throw my golf shoes and shirts in there as well.

Its an odd looking bag but I love it. The hard casing on the top gives me a little more piece of mind.

You keep the headcovers on or off when they are in the case? :confused2:

I tend to wrap a towel around and in between the clubs so they don't rattle against each other so much. It has big pockets and a lot of space so I'm also able to throw my golf shoes and shirts in there as well.

Its an odd looking bag but I love it. The hard casing on the top gives me a little more piece of mind.

DD, what's the make and model of that? I was looking at something similar, the Bag Boy T10. Problem is it got crappy reviews everywhere because the strap on the top part of the hard shell kept coming off on people. I like that concept because it protects it where you need it the most and it folds in on itself for better transport. I would still get the stiff arm and iron headcovers for it though.

Transporting Clubs

I use a soft cover bag with a stiff arm. I also use a towel wrapped around n between the clubs to help minimalize club chatter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two soft sided bags and have never had issues.

That said, a hard case is the way to go and If I flew more with my clubs, I would get one.

A good soft case with stiff arm is my choice. I use a Club Glove bag. A Burstproof with wheels. Got to have wheels.

I looked at Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday (can you tell I am excited) and found a hard side case for $85. I will go to Roger Dunn's and also be checking Craigslist and Ebay as we get closer. Cheapest I saw on ebay in a quick look yesterday was $110.

I have a soft cover case as well as a stiff arm. I use club head covers for my irons and a towel to keep the shafts from being banged around.

Back