The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I hit a way better shot on that hole.

Tell Tiger to give me a call.

I think you should read my post again. I did not say he should not be featured. He absolutely should be.

Fwiw the advertising buy is long done before an individual event comes about. It's about creating not about dismissing. For some reason people are turning this into something it's not. Anybody that thinks the conventional media is handling coverage right for the future is living in a cloud. And since ad buying is based on the future...

Seriously, where's the incentive for the PGA Tour to change their approach to marketing right now? Their TV deal is already set through 2021 (http://www.pga.com/news/pga-tour/pga-tour-signs-9-year-extension-networks) and that money will probably go up when the next deal is signed because live sports are so valuable to networks now, so a large part of the revenue is set for the PGA Tour. From the network side, the Tiger effect is real in terms of ratings as others have mentioned, so they will continue to market him to draw the most eyeballs. Also, in terms of what the media should do, it's not their responsibility to make new stars. If players win big tournaments and play well, then they become stars, regardless of how the media treats them. One could also argue that media coverage has made Rickie Fowler a star when he has 1 PGA Tour win in his career.

This thread is always hilarious.

He played ****** golf today, fact. Not rust, just ****** golf.

This thread is always hilarious.

He played ****** golf today, fact. Not rust, just ****** golf.

I love the before tournament talk: He should do great; I bet he wins; he wouldn't have come back if he wasn't ready to win; Tiger is back.
And then the post first round talk: Rust; hasn't played for a long time; wasn't expecting a whole lot this first time out.

Hell, who knows, he might just come out tomorrow and shoot 65 and get right back in it.

Dude played like crap. Hit a bunch of armature mistakes that make no sense and there really isn't any excuse. It unfortunate that every one of Tigers "comebacks" is based on a swing to swing basis. It was a crap round and he will have a few more but we all know this is not going to be the best round either. Lets just let it play out a bit. Oh and Speith played well.

I'm watching my recording of the days events and I've got to turn it off.
Everybody making excuses for his poor play is too much.

I'm watching my recording of the days events and I've got to turn it off.
Everybody making excuses for his poor play is too much.

It's his new swing. He needs more reps so he can learn the proper amount of wrist cock. His back is healed so he is having to adjust to a more athletic position. He just started to play with new clubs. He has tourney rust. He is hitting the ball with more power and is struggling learning his distances especially at sea level. Every shot the wind was swirling and tough to gage how much draw to put on the ball. The groves on his putter are really sharp and getting more roll. Maybe he was distracted because he just needed to take a dump and couldn't find a porta-john, there was some sorta crap going on.

Did I miss anything.

It was an a brutal round.

You guys are missing the point - the media is not going to push anything that isn't going to get them ratings. Fact is, ten-year-old Tiger video, and non-stop Tiger coverage, is driving the ratings. If featuring the younger guys had even a fraction of what Tiger coverage gets, they (we) might consider it. Again, as much as you guys think the media has an agenda (at least in the Tiger genre (I have a whole different opinion about hard news)), they will only "push" what gets ratings.

Even though there is a deal in place, that does not include the separate sponsorships, commercials, etc. that run during tournaments.

Guessing you missed my point about creating new stars.
Talking solely about a guy missing cuts when you have young greatness in front of you is bad for business long term.
The state of the tour is not less than stellar. The adaptation is less than stellar. Looking at Rory, Rickie and Jordan and nobody can think the future is not bright.

i agree jb i remember the ads that were running just a year ago, "these guys are good" with pics of them growing up. and they were right, a lot more to the tour than just how well ( or not ) tiger is playing

And this has been my issue with a few media outlets. They refuse to create new stories and create new stars and instead continue to push the same story over and over again. Nobody is saying not to focus on Woods. His past and fans deserve that, but until you create new stories, the ratings will not move until Woods is in the field and mattering. There are 3-5 great young stars going and they should be THE story.
It was completely sad to see the only highlights of the tourney on Sportscenter was Tiger. Nothing new, I guess.

Tiger, turn those hips when chipping. He looked like a board.

You guys are missing the point - the media is not going to push anything that isn't going to get them ratings. Fact is, ten-year-old Tiger video, and non-stop Tiger coverage, is driving the ratings. If featuring the younger guys had even a fraction of what Tiger coverage gets, they (we) might consider it. Again, as much as you guys think the media has an agenda (at least in the Tiger genre (I have a whole different opinion about hard news)), they will only "push" what gets ratings.

Even though there is a deal in place, that does not include the separate sponsorships, commercials, etc. that run during tournaments.

Again, nobody said not to feature Tiger Woods. And to that last line...That is not really accurate.
Please check out what I said previously. This has nothing to do with not featuring Tiger Woods. I said he should be featured.

Wow this thread is more and more like college football, Well except it's fairly polarized.

For most people the need the media to tell them who to follow, who is good/bad, etc. Since Tiger came onto the scene he has moved he needle. So fans will pay more attention to golf when he is playing. As JB said if they would give attention to Rory, Rickie, Spieth, Reed, Stenson and a handful of other guys then fans can see the future of the tour and get the tv ratings up when tiger isn't playing.

Just watching the replay of his short game fiasco from yesterday.....holy crap. Very few times can I say I could do better than that but wow. Some of that was seriously seriously ugly.

Just watching the replay of his short game fiasco from yesterday.....holy crap. Very few times can I say I could do better than that but wow. Some of that was seriously seriously ugly.
Yep. It is as if Kobe Bryant suddenly couldn't make uncontested layups. Just mind boggling.

I also just watched the replay this morning and couldn't believe what I was watching. When people were talking about chunking chips I was still thinking, "ok fat but at least on the green".....man was I wrong.

I also just watched the replay this morning and couldn't believe what I was watching. When people were talking about chunking chips I was still thinking, "ok fat but at least on the green".....man was I wrong.

Absolutely, maybe the chip that got to the crest and then came back down......but the others you just don't see on TV.

Absolutely, maybe the chip that got to the crest and then came back down......but the others you just don't see on TV.
That's just not true, I've seen it done at the AT&T pro am multiple times.

Tiger needs to go back to the basics. He often looks like he's trying too hard and is unsure of what he is doing at the same time.
It's about hitting the ball in the hole. I can't understand why he keeps trying to hit once in a lifetime shots around the green - Just hold weight evenly or over the left side and clip the ball off the turf, it might not have all the fancy spin but who cares.
Tiger used to talk about being a "feel player". He is the furthest from that now and I hope he can learn to throw the trackman in the lake and hit the ****ing ball in the hole.

I think his "feels" will come back with a little time, or more competative reps as he calls it. My guess is he was pressing a little bit yesterday and probably had some excited jitters coming back. Just saw his driver swing on 14 and boy-o did it looks nice. It just looks way more free than what we watched last year. Hopefully confidence in his tee game leads to a little confidence around the greens.

edit: Dont get me wrong, those chips yesterday were U-G-L-Y, but once you hit one, its got to be stuck in your head for a while.

Played well today (looks like an easy day though) and nothing in here as to what he did right. I'll go check tourney thread...

I didn't even watch coverage today or follow twitter feed of his round. I know at one point he was 2 under

Played well today (looks like an easy day though) and nothing in here as to what he did right. I'll go check tourney thread...

I'm not sure -2 after doubling 18 when their were players on the course going 8 and 9 under is really playing well. And if that is playing well for him at this point he is in for a rough year.

What happened to him on 18?

I'm not sure -2 after doubling 18 when their were players on the course going 8 and 9 under is really playing well. And if that is playing well for him at this point he is in for a rough year.

I'm at work. Just seen -4 but did notice it appeared to be an easy day. Just wondering what the difference in the two rounds appeared to be.

Chunked a chip then flew a chip across the green it sounded like via Tiger Tracker.

Back