X 2 hot pro 3 wood15 deg tour green
2, 4,5 Bertha Hybrids all tour green
Apex 6-pw DG S300
MD2 50-54-58DG S300
Versa #7 bwb
Grandaddy Aqua Dry stand bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm.
Well I have my driver and my 3 wood. On days my Driver goes south I find that I'm much more confident with the 3 wood. Maybe I'm the opposite but a smaller compact head makes me focus more I don't know lol

3 hybrid, probably my most consistent club aside from my 60* wedge. I've gone back and forth with the idea of a 2 hybrid. I currently hit my 3H 215-220yds and my 3 wood 250-260. Not sure if its worth filling in the gap or not. I'm not there too often but I fail miserably when i try to knock something off my 3 wood unless I need to keep a shot really low and run forever (which I've begun using my 3H for that now with more success).

4-GW and a 56-60 wedge. A full SW for me goes 100-110, but I don't ever hit it full and use it 90 yds and in, 60yds and in i use my 60. I know your supposed to use different clubs around the green but I learned to just use my 60 around the green. I de-loft it if i need to or great for flops.

My 4I is where I've really considered getting a 4H and just depending on how I'm doing I can always rely on that. I hit it off the deck and tee well but there's always a large amount of anxiety to go with it lol. A lot of times my miss is a hook with my 4I but if I get a 4H then that forever eliminates a 2H from the bag. I can always drop my 56 and bend my 60 to a 58 if need be but I dunno....

Then my putter of course. Can't leave her out.

It sounds like you have very similar distances to what I get. have you looked into a little bit stronger of a 3h and then adding the 4h to be bag? If you push the 3h to 19* it sounds like it could probably be a 225/230 club, which might eliminate the need for a 2h anyway and close the gapping between the 3w and 3h. And then the 4h would be something around 210 and probably a lot easier to hit than the 4i. That way you could keep everything else the same too.

Driver. Then 5w (g25), possibly a 7w (g30) coming in. 2 hybrids (4h/5h) then 6-U(g30) and 56/60 wedges. Total 13 clubs. 5w is my back up from tee on narrow Fairways. Also useful from the deck, but can be overtaken by the 7w. Never had that club before. Only hybrids at 19*. Looking forward to it.

I'm switching the 5h out for the Apex Utility 24*. Ultimately, 3h, 4h, 24*, then my irons gaps very nicely and I still get to keep 2 hybrids in my bag. I also just got the 21* Utility, but for now I think I'll switch between them depending on the course. I like having at least one mid/long iron in the bag as opposed to keeping all hybrids at those spots.

It's the off season and tinkering is gonna happen.

12* Driver
18* Metal Wood 190 Meters (get it up the fairway)
3-5 Hybrid Irons 170-150 meters (get it close to the green)
6-9 MT Irons 140-110 Meters (get it on the green)
P,D,S TT Irons 100-80 Meters (get it close to the pin)
58* Smart Sole Wedge Inside 70 Meters & Bunkers

My first post for a long time

Cleveland 588 driver with Matrix black tie Reg flex 9 degree, finally found a shaft that suits my swing (i do have a classic xl head in 10.5 on order for testing)
Fairway Yonex XP 3W set at 14 degrees, lovely feel and effortless power off the tee, a real placement club
Gap, now I'm considering a 5w or a 3h
Hybrid, Yonex XP 4H 22 degrees, again just a beutifully balanced club
Irons, Yonex 5-PW-GW-SW Reg flex graphite shatfs, luckily I won these in a comp, nice and powerfull great flight, very east to hit
Wedge ICY WEDGE 57 DEG, Made by a guy who used to work on the Cleveland van on the european tour, super versatile, can be opened or closed, great out of bunkers, custom fitted by appointment only.
Putter, Rife Acuba 33" Love the shape and feel off the face, the grooves work beautifully.

So it's only the 5w/3h that's missing, as a lower swing speed I think I'm leaning towards a 5 wood and possibly the Adams tight lies, so easy off the deck where it will be primarily used on long par4's and par 5's

See Sig
10 yd gap between every club except for the 3W and Driver. I can choke down on the 3W to take off distance and I also own a 4W for shorter courses to swap.

3hy @ 21 deg: 200 - 210 carry - adjust sure-fit hosel to @20 deg: 205-215
4i -190 carry
Wedges - Gap 120 yds, 54 110, 58 100 yds

I mainly use the 58 deg as my SW and the 54 mainly for approach shots and pitch and roll.

20141212_224339.jpg

Right, so this is what I was rocking this weekend, along with some thoughts...

I have never ballooned a shot with the Big Bertha driver. Some of that is finally grooving some swing changes that reduces spin off the tee in general and getting a more neutral strike. Either way, I'm in a good position to take advantage of the spin characteristics of the Bertha with the stock shaft.

Right now I simply have a ton of confidence in the 4-wood. I've been hitting it off the deck better of late, and it's become a question of really nailing down my alignment rather than feeling like my swing & ball placement might ruin a shot. The spin is solid, and I don't mind some ballooning or lost distance if it sticks to a green, which it's shown a tendency to do.

My hybrids I like, but haven't been hitting terribly well. There's a reason I'm thinking of replacing my 4 hybrid with a proper iron, and my 3 hybrid with a 7 wood...just hasn't happened. The hypothetical gaps there just don't play out on the course.

My irons I simply adore. I don't hit them as high as I sometimes think I'd like...but I can hit them to a number, and that's what I like. Even when I flight them low, I get a goodly amount of spin. If I hit a green, they'll stick most of the time.

The bottom portion of my bag I like, with the Trusty Rusty 53° and a 58° MD2...but it simply didn't play out today, playing a shamble. The 53 and 58 gap better on full and 3/4 shots, but select drive in a shamble means playing a lot of those inside 90 yards touch shots, and those two wedges just spin the ball very differently, even when struck well, so right now I'm not high on the Trusty Rusty, though I like it better for really trisky shots like longer flops and bump & run

My putter...That Black Series might be the best line of putter Odyssey ever made. I may well sell off my other putters just so I can commit to making this one my real only bagged putter. I can commit to a wood, and my irons, those are easy....but committing to a putter is like getting married.

Glad to hear you're loving that Bertha, man! Happy to send it to a good home :D

Still finding my way with my bag set up. Looks as tho it will be an ever moving target as it is with most in this thread. Which is one of the fun aspects go golf....ever tinkering with your bag! Currently have 10.5 driver, 3W, 4 Hybrid ,irons 5-pw, 56 wedge! and putter.....could do with a couple more wedges I think.

Put a G25 4w in the bag for the first time today. Don't think old 3w has any chance of getting back in.
So I'm now D, 4w, 3&4h, 5-S irons and putter. When I game the eye 2s, like today, I'm carrying 12 clubs, no gap wedge (W is 50.5*). 13 sticks when the i20s get their turn. I walk most of the time, so the lighter bag helps. I have been known to pull the 3h to lighten the load, but my home course has a 195yd par 3 that is just a perfect 3h, which is about the only time it gets used.
I tried a 60* lob wedge, but just couldn't get my touch down with it for some reason.

I am trying to make golf as easy as possible for myself so I have gone with a set gw and sw. I had struggled with hitting my sw at full speed and I really need that to get me in from 100 yards out (a distance I've had trouble with). I also have the Cleveland ss as I don't get to fancy around the green, just need something to help me get the ball up and out of sand/hairy lies.

Also considering a 2h in place of my 3w which for me is the most difficult to hit club in the bag.

Round this week sealed it. 4I is out. It's awesome off the tee, but on longer courses, I need a more reliable/forgiving option. Don't really have anything to replace it right now, but I'm thinking a heavenwood would do the trick.

I am trying to make golf as easy as possible for myself so I have gone with a set gw and sw. I had struggled with hitting my sw at full speed and I really need that to get me in from 100 yards out (a distance I've had trouble with). I also have the Cleveland ss as I don't get to fancy around the green, just need something to help me get the ball up and out of sand/hairy lies.

Also considering a 2h in place of my 3w which for me is the most difficult to hit club in the bag.

The 2h 588 is just as easy to hit as the 3 or 4 hybrid of the 588 line. The mashie hybrid is easy to hit as well and they make a 15.5°, 1 hybrid in the mashie. Just something to consider.

I'm not sure of your swing speed. I thought you mentioned it in a post, but can't remember.

Is it high, average or low? If average or low, you might benefit more from a 5W or one of these long shafted 7Ws (Heavenwood or 588) than either a 3W or a 2H. I've owned all of them, and as someone who hovers just under average in SS (of all drivers ever hit on a Trackman), but slightly above average (compared to the average player on a Muni and distance off of the tee for 10s of thousands of drives in golf studies), I will tell you that I'm much better off with a 5W or 7W than either.

I think 3Ws (at least off the deck) and 2 hybrids are really only better for the higher swing speed players. For mere mortals like me, more loft gives more carry, more distance, and more forgiveness.

I'm not sure of your swing speed. I thought you mentioned it in a post, but can't remember.

Is it high, average or low? If average or low, you might benefit more from a 5W or one of these long shafted 7Ws (Heavenwood or 588) than either a 3W or a 2H. I've owned all of them, and as someone who hovers just under average in SS (of all drivers ever hit on a Trackman), but slightly above average (compared to the average player on a Muni and distance off of the tee for 10s of thousands of drives in golf studies), I will tell you that I'm much better off with a 5W or 7W than either.

I think 3Ws (at least off the deck) and 2 hybrids are really only better for the higher swing speed players. For mere mortals like me, more loft gives more carry, more distance, and more forgiveness.
Not exactly sure what average is... My driver ss sits at about 103 (give or take) with a controlled swing.

Just bought a 7w to use primary off the deck. Had a 5w but concluded that the new hot face of the Ping G30 will almost match distance with some added forgiveness. Tried a lot of 3h but sold them all.

Pondering if I'm leaving something on the table at the bottom of my bag.

Set AW 125
55* SW 100

Then 60 degree wedge which I do most of my pitching and chipping with.

Right now I use my SW for pretty much everything between 100 and 25 yards

Set AW 125
55* SW 100

Nothing glaring that's wrong.

Ultimately all depends on if the setup you choose is working for you to the best of your ability.

I would have to think its not or you wouldn't be pondering. ;)

Set AW 125
55* SW 100

What do you use out of the sand? 60?
IMHO, I would think that a 5 hcp player would get much more out of the wedges than out of the top end of the bag. Is there really a big difference in your game for distances between 220-250?
I don't know the answer for you, but for me, I would rather have a 20 yd gap between 3i and 3w than between AW and SW.

Nothing glaring that's wrong.

Ultimately all depends on if the setup you choose is working for you to the best of your ability.

I would have to think its not or you wouldn't be pondering. ;)
It's really just me questioning the status quo. I've always gone with a 3 wedge setup because we'll, that was the norm. Now that standard sets have seemingly gone out the window I'm challenging myself to see if I'm leaving anything on the table.
What do you use out of the sand? 60?
IMHO, I would think that a 5 hcp player would get much more out of the wedges than out of the top end of the bag. Is there really a big difference in your game for distances between 220-250?
I don't know the answer for you, but for me, I would rather have a 20 yd gap between 3i and 3w than between AW and SW.
60 is my go-to out of the sand for sure. Love it.

Full bag off the deck carry gaps are as follows (they are rough numbers after 4 rounds in temps ranging from 30 to 55 degrees)

4w 245
3h 227
4i 210
5i 200
6i 190
7i 178
8i 166
9i 153
PW 140
AW 125
55* 105
60*

I've always been good at feeling out partial swings with my AW and SW for those in between yardages, but I'm wondering if I can take some guesswork out of it by relying on more full swings... and do this without giving up the 60 degree wedge

Full bag off the deck carry gaps are as follows (they are rough numbers after 4 rounds in temps ranging from 30 to 55 degrees)

4w 245
3h 227
4i 210
5i 200
6i 190
7i 178
8i 166
9i 153
PW 140
AW 125
55* 105
60*

I've always been good at feeling out partial swings with my AW and SW for those in between yardages, but I'm wondering if I can take some guesswork out of it by relying on more full swings... and do this without giving up the 60 degree wedge
Consider bending the AW a degree or two stronger, drop to 53-54, throw a 57 or 58 in there. Maybe 60 to 61.

My wedge set-up in two sets is this
(PW 46), 51, 56, 60 - My 60 is 85 yds
(PW 46), 50, 54, 59 - My 59 is 90 yds.

Consider bending the AW a degree or two stronger, drop to 53-54, throw a 57 or 58 in there. Maybe 60 to 61.

My wedge set-up in two sets is this
(PW 46), 51, 56, 60 - My 60 is 85 yds
(PW 46), 50, 54, 59 - My 59 is 90 yds.
See, the big difference is I never take a full swing with my 60.

Joe, if you know your distance gaps and it's not a major issue, then I say don't overthink the loft gaps.

I think you're a good enough player to learn how to dial in some partial swing distances Joe.

Back