The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hour long session last night. Talked a little to my instructor as I was warming up and worked on being more pivot driven/less arms dominated swing. Result was much less effort, better contact, and more yards. Makes me want to get the mat/net out to keep working on it.
I am working on the same thing. Going to be 60 here this weekend going to work in it on the course now :)

Nice! Have fun out there. Supposed to be warm enough this weekend for a little outdoor work here too.

Lob shots from 15 yds. Now have two thoughts.
1) use the bounce,
2) keep the face open / toward the sky after impact.

Things went very well when I started focusing on a blade of grass just behind the ball, rather than the ball itself.

Had fun at the range tonight.
Just like the last round I played I made a point of not working on anything and just hitting balls like I used to.
Figures I saw really good results and my most accurate range session in a few weeks.

Range shut due to snow :angry:

Temperature was up to a balmy 50 today, so I hit 200 balls on the range working the whole bag. Finished with sand and some wedge work. Swing continues its transition from hacker-OTT move to solid low-capper swing. Quite a satisfying range outing.

[video=youtube_share;p5ZixwF-Q3w]http://youtu.be/p5ZixwF-Q3w[/video] finally , slowly ridding myself of the dreaded ott hit early . Started this in early September , and been working on this daily ( with or without ball ). Impact bags , hand drills , and learning to pivot . A simple concept for some , but for a life long ott hitter from the top .. It was and is very hard to groove this . I open instead of close club at the top and I rotate left at the same time . Ball shoots out very straight with less effort .. I think open , but eventually it closes all by itself . Still manual ; but I'm hoping this spring it is more ok automatic mode .

A few nice easy lessons , at home drills and patience is all it was so far . The difference from hitting at the top ; from hitting at the bottom is so different . Feels like the ball will go nowhere , but to my surprise it is going the same with less effort . Just wish the real bad snow will hold off for a little while longer. Hitting an 8 iron here that feels like it will only go 50 yards , but was flying 140 ish in the cold .. Not bad . Less effort , almost same distance. Bizarre feeling

Out of nowhere I had an awful time at the range this morning. Lately I've been hitting the ball accurately and powerfully but today I had nothing.
No power in my swing.
No idea where the ball would go.
Its pretty frustrating and right now I'm not sure if I need to get back out there right away or just take 3 or 4 days off and hope it comes back.

Haven't hit balls in several weeks...stopped by the range to chat with my fitter figuring he would be chilling but he was actually working with a guy. Wasnt dressed to hit balls but grabbed a 915d2 with new Diamana. Hit some good shots and some big pushes. I need to get back to practicing

Heading out to the garage to get some swings in!

Want to work on takeaway, as I feel I got too quick and snappy in my Tuesday singles round. Will also do some impact bag work.

Edit... After the army navy game.

Lob shots from 15 yds. Now have two thoughts.
1) use the bounce,
2) keep the face open / toward the sky after impact.

Things went very well when I started focusing on a blade of grass just behind the ball, rather than the ball itself.

Rodger Cleveland would approve this message....

Besides an opportunity for me to name drop, it's nice to have your swing thoughts validated by one of the greats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work and weather have been keeping me away from the sticks for a while, but finally was able to hit the range after a bunch of holiday stuff today.

Focused on tempo and keeping everything in sync. It felt good to get out.

I'm starting to think about how to improve for next season. I was able to improve some major flaws in my swing over the last year, but I want to keep getting better. I have a lesson on Monday to discuss with my teacher and set some goals for what I want to accomplish.

Went to the range early this morning and got in some indoor time and some quick tips from my coach.

I am getting the driver coming into the ball flatter with the driver this is huge as my spin, LA numbers drop and smash factor increases giving me a flatter flight and more yardage.

Also worked on not cupping my left wrist at the top to keep the club from crossing over at the top.

Man this is tough work and I believe it will only get tougher.

hitting full 6 irons .. One push one push draw .. Lower flight . Really digging this anti ott stuff .. Feels so unnatural , but ball flight and overall swing look have improved big time . Please hold off snow .. Just a few more weeks all I need :) ....:)

Seeing club shallow vs steep is the best Christmas gift from golf I ever received

for people like myself that always hit the ball a mile high .. A low piercing ball flight is pretty cool to watch

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Worked at the range doing my drills to get my back swing to the top on plane. Hit two buckets going slow to the top, then normal on the downswing. I videoed some swings and sent them to my coach. I'm starting to get the feel!

Went to the range again today and simulated 9 holes at my course.

Hit a small bucket this evening. If my in-game swings were as solid as my 3 and 7 iron were tonight, I'd be set. :)

4472fab671170538dfeb31b416277a92.jpg

Hit a small bucket this evening. If my in-game swings were as solid as my 3 and 7 iron were tonight, I'd be set. :)

4472fab671170538dfeb31b416277a92.jpg
If I can just give an opinion .. Watch setup .. Hands to far back , feet should be open not square .. Slightly open ,which shows face being closed at setup . Too narrow , too much bend over from the waist .. With less knee bend . Believe me , been where you are .. And that setup gave me fits .. For a right hander , I hit weak blocks and slices for years that way

take it or leave it .. Just trying to help
signed /. Lettuce and Tomato

I had a very productive range session. I think I'm on my way to getting out of the weeds with my swing.

Can always use some additional thoughts. Thanks!
If I can just give an opinion .. Watch setup .. Hands to far back , feet should be open not square .. Slightly open ,which shows face being closed at setup . Too narrow , too much bend over from the waist .. With less knee bend . Believe me , been where you are .. And that setup gave me fits .. For a right hander , I hit weak blocks and slices for years that way

take it or leave it .. Just trying to help
signed /. Lettuce and Tomato

A few courses opened over the weekend thanks to the warm temps. I just opted for the one nearby that's always open, even though greens and tees are closed. From what I heard the other places were insanely busy.

Anyway, walked 18 and hit 4 or 5 balls on most holes. Felt good.

Out of nowhere I had an awful time at the range this morning. Lately I've been hitting the ball accurately and powerfully but today I had nothing.
No power in my swing.
No idea where the ball would go.
Its pretty frustrating and right now I'm not sure if I need to get back out there right away or just take 3 or 4 days off and hope it comes back.

I'm with you; after months of solid golf, I had 2 poor range sessions followed by a poor round Saturday. Seemingly out of nowhere, my ball striking was not solid and my driving was really shaky. I shot a really ugly 81 and I'm hoping it's just a short term hiccup :/

I'm definitely reluctant to do more range work. I think I'll just grab a club and take some slow swings indoors until I play again this weekend.

I'm with you; after months of solid golf, I had 2 poor range sessions followed by a poor round Saturday. Seemingly out of nowhere, my ball striking was not solid and my driving was really shaky. I shot a really ugly 81 and I'm hoping it's just a short term hiccup :/

I'm definitely reluctant to do more range work. I think I'll just grab a club and take some slow swings indoors until I play again this weekend.

I don't think I can even fathom what a bad range session might look like for you guys that think an 81 is bad :)

Sat morning, I had a lesson with a SeeMore putting instructor and fitter in the area. Learned a great deal about the SeeMore recommended set-up and stroke. Turns out I have potential as a putter, but I need to strengthen the muscles between my shoulder blades.
Rolled some really nice putts, will be sending two putters to SeeMore to get spec'd properly, based on the recommendations I got.

Had a lesson today, first one since August. Generally, my teacher doesn't want to do too much to my swing. My backswing goes a little outside but the downswing is right on plane, just a tad under, but contact promotes a small draw.

One thing we worked on was with my driver, my pelvis moves towards the ball, which I've noticed takes me out of balance. We did the drill where my rear stays in touch with a chair throughout the swing, which helped me with the feeling of staying more stable. Definitely glad he picked up on that and I think working on it will help with consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back