The Home Renovation Thread

What is the dimensions of the bathrooms? When you say subfloor. Do you mean all of it? Down to the joists?

Not big at all, the girls bathroom is the smaller of the 2 and its just creeking real bad when you walk in there, so assuming the subfloor is old.

For that one lets say 8X5

Our master isnt that big at all, probably 11X5

Not big at all, the girls bathroom is the smaller of the 2 and its just creeking real bad when you walk in there, so assuming the subfloor is old.

For that one lets say 8X5

Our master isnt that big at all, probably 11X5

Screws will take care of the squeaking floors and as long as it's a good sub straight for the new flooring it should be fine. Typically unless it's rotten from water damage it can be corrected. A screw ever 4-6 inches works well. As far as cost per square foot it's dependent on if it's all cosmetic or if there is going to be fixture replacements such as tub, sink, vanity lighting toilet. A ballpark price

Screws will take care of the squeaking floors and as long as it's a good sub straight for the new flooring it should be fine. Typically unless it's rotten from water damage it can be corrected. A screw ever 4-6 inches works well. As far as cost per square foot it's dependent on if it's all cosmetic or if there is going to be fixture replacements such as tub, sink, vanity lighting toilet. A ballpark price

yes, new everything, needs gutted pretty much in both cases, old school early 80s blah

yes, new everything, needs gutted pretty much in both cases, old school early 80s blah

If you need tools I pretty much have everything you need.

Will do demo work for beer, pizza, and greens fees.

Anyway, labor costs are dependent on the skill set you're hiring. But it's typically around 35-40% of the total cost this area.

My guess is that you really want more than just labor costs. The trades guys don't do just labor as a rule.

Here as an example an electrician is around 75-100 per fixture. That includes receptacles.

If they have to pull new home runs it can go up slightly.

Will do demo work for beer, pizza, and greens fees.

hahaha

My guess is that you really want more than just labor costs. The trades guys don't do just labor as a rule.

Here as an example an electrician is around 75-100 per fixture. That includes receptacles.

If they have to pull new home runs it can go up slightly.

I have a free electrician so I at least have that going for me...thanks dude

Good luck! We got a quote on a 10x13 space and it was close to 30K and that was without moving any plumbing.

My kitchen is pretty big… like 20x22. In the pic you see, our price was close to twice that (in California dollars). That included all new appliances (except fridge)…

Where indulged was the sink… hammered brushed nickel farmhouse w/ oval front (about 3k). The drop lights over the peninsula were a thousand for the two (handblown italian glass, really very cool)…

Cabinets were about 25k alone. One interesting thing we did, when you see the floor to ceiling bank of cabinets on the left (with the microwave), the cabinets we pulled out were great quality and still in good shape after 20 years… so we moved all of them into our laundry room which gave us a massive increase in utility cabinets in the house.

Also got powered window shades for all those front facing windows. IN addition to the one over the sink, there are also 3 - 3x5 double hungs out of the picture.

All because of the freaking cabinets. Its amazing that the cabinets can make up 3/4 of the cost we looked at for a new kitchen.

Tell me about it. Wrote the biggest check of my life a couple weeks ago for cabinets for our kitchen. I believe the cabinet cost is at least half of our whole cost. Remodel starts next week, cabinets arrive this afternoon. Long overdue, the kitchen is original in our 45 year old house.

Small rant -
Re-do of my master shower and bathroom, not the sinks or tub.
Good Grief - so much dust and film over EVERYTHING!

looks like i get to get into the act of the remodel getting ready to buy a house that has a kitchen out of 1980 and is need of some help

Small rant -
Re-do of my master shower and bathroom, not the sinks or tub.
Good Grief - so much dust and film over EVERYTHING!

We also did our master bathroom, forced to after the shower valve began leaking slowly (and the claim was denied by the homeowners insurance @#$!#@$), and yes the dust was incredible. I did a lot more work in the bathroom than the kitchen, but the end result is the shower of bliss every time I take one.

looks like i get to get into the act of the remodel getting ready to buy a house that has a kitchen out of 1980 and is need of some help

Where'd you decide on BrIan?

Where'd you decide on BrIan?

we are staying in Lodi looks like it will be in SunWest Area just need to sell our current home it should be on the market tomorrow or Thursday

We also did our master bathroom, forced to after the shower valve began leaking slowly (and the claim was denied by the homeowners insurance @#$!#@$), and yes the dust was incredible. I did a lot more work in the bathroom than the kitchen, but the end result is the shower of bliss every time I take one.
Yeah, I am really excited to see the final project, but the mess is getting to my OCD self.
Thermostatic panel shower head, porcelain walls, pebble floor, and new glass door. Cannot wait!

Had a gentlemen from ATI come out today at 4 for an estimate. They were recommended through the USAA remodeling program.

Listened to what we wanted, took a bunch of measurements, drawed out a quick sketch for his review.

We will get a formal quote next week in detail line by line and go from there.

Exciting but scary. I know I can do it for half the cost but it would take 10x as long with having to work.

Will get a few more quotes for comparison.....nerve wrecking thinking about spending 50k on something. If not more...:

Had a gentlemen from ATI come out today at 4 for an estimate. They were recommended through the USAA remodeling program.

Listened to what we wanted, took a bunch of measurements, drawed out a quick sketch for his review.

We will get a formal quote next week in detail line by line and go from there.

Exciting but scary. I know I can do it for half the cost but it would take 10x as long with having to work.

Will get a few more quotes for comparison.....nerve wrecking thinking about spending 50k on something. If not more...:

Will it increase the value of the house or are you taking the house you said was worth X value and going very upside on it?

The Home Renovation Thread

Will it increase the value of the house or are you taking the house you said was worth X value and going very upside on it?

Undoubtedly increase the value. But the value will always max out at some point due to comparable values etc.

This is more about building something that we want and making our house more enjoyable.

Additionally, we will have it paid off in 8-9 years with no plans to go anywhere.

What are u having done cookie?

What are u having done cookie?

Gut kitchen, 2 living rooms, and 1 dining room to combine them into one family room.

Scrape popcorn from ceilings, remove 10 feet of wall, new tile throughout, new cabinets, enormous island, etc.

Gut kitchen, 2 living rooms, and 1 dining room to combine them into one family room.

Scrape popcorn from ceilings, remove 10 feet of wall, new tile throughout, new cabinets, enormous island, etc.
Sounds fun, take lots of Pictures, I wish I had taken more throughout.

Received our first estimate on solar panels and install, and much more affordable than I was expecting. Not sure why I'm excited about this, but I am :)

Back