The Blackberry Thread

I think the Bold was my last run with BB. I really liked it, but lack of apps & the browser killed it for me so I used it as a work phone exclusively.

I have my iPhone 6+ so not moving over, but just curious. Thanks for the thoughts.

Looks like an interesting device, no optical track pad ... I really liked that on my Bold. Looks like I may go Classic as opposed to Passport, though I'd like time with both.

One day in and I am really digging this thing.
I LOVE HUB!
Every phone will have it with in a few years.

One day in and I am really digging this thing.
I LOVE HUB!
Every phone will have it with in a few years.

It is pretty cool how it gathers all emails/social media and allows user to respond directly. Rather than going into each individual app. I could see that being very useful.

So a few days into it and it has everything I want in a device. Typing with no typos. Calendar is perfect. Emails are easy. HUB is game changing for me to stay organized. It has every single app I used on my Note and runs them all fine.

Good golly ... not sure which one I want to get my hands on. It's going to happen though.

JB, how is the Passport for talking on the phone, and how do you like that keyboard? Also read that it comes with a non-removable battery?

So a few days into it and it has everything I want in a device. Typing with no typos. Calendar is perfect. Emails are easy. HUB is game changing for me to stay organized. It has every single app I used on my Note and runs them all fine.

I am jealous. Would love to have a phone with an actual keyboard.

I am jealous. Would love to have a phone with an actual keyboard.

It took me a bit to get used to going back to it. But I now know I can type an actual email if need be and not worry about gibberish being correct and not. The voice to txt on this might be hte best I have used to date as well. And with the keyboard acting as more than just keys, you can use this cool swipe up feature to finish words for you and it makes typing so easy.

It took me a bit to get used to going back to it. But I now know I can type an actual email if need be and not worry about gibberish being correct and not. The voice to txt on this might be hte best I have used to date as well. And with the keyboard acting as more than just keys, you can use this cool swipe up feature to finish words for you and it makes typing so easy.

That sounds fantastic. I really don't take advantage of all my smart phone has to offer because I hate trying to get it to understand what my fat fingers are trying to tell it.

That sounds fantastic. I really don't take advantage of all my smart phone has to offer because I hate trying to get it to understand what my fat fingers are trying to tell it.
I struggled for far too long and am glad to be back. Then add the features they do well and it's perfect for me.

It's a tool for me and handles my business tasks perfectly. Coming from touchscreen for so long it's a small retraining curve but it's accurate and every piece of the puzzle is easy.

Hub and blend are freaking perfection.

The typo in this post is funny.

I wonder why the physical keyboards didn't stick around on Android devices. Seems like there were quite a few options in the early days.

It is great to see a solid third option come back around, since it seems Windows phone have stalled.

I wonder why the physical keyboards didn't stick around on Android devices. Seems like there were quite a few options in the early days.
I think it happened in an age where each phone maker went for lightweight and small in the attempt to make the perfect "micro device". Keyboards were simply too bulky to accommodate this trend.

It's ironic that we're in the exact opposite trend now, only a few years later.

Fads, have to love them.

Never liked the BB...but your phone is intriguing JB...sharp.

So AT&T won't be expected to get the Classic until March 2015. No word on the Passport. To throw a wrench into the works ... IT has told me to hold off because our system isn't set up to support BB 10 servers right now. *sigh*

ETA: Just got another email (from AT&T mind you) that said my agency has no plans to switch back to supporting BB devices, so I'll need to "move to an iPhone, Android or Windows mobile device". FML.

Not going down without a fight though ... want to confirm things with the powers that be. Probably going to have to wait until after the holidays though.

Last edited:
So is the only way to get a Passport right now to buy an unlocked phone and then get service through AT&T or T Mobile?

So AT&T won't be expected to get the Classic until March 2015. No word on the Passport. To throw a wrench into the works ... IT has told me to hold off because our system isn't set up to support BB 10 servers right now. *sigh*

ETA: Just got another email (from AT&T mind you) that said my agency has no plans to switch back to supporting BB devices, so I'll need to "move to an iPhone, Android or Windows mobile device". FML.

Not going down without a fight though ... want to confirm things with the powers that be. Probably going to have to wait until after the holidays though.

AT&T is lying to you. There are literally tens of thousands of people that bought the Classic and Passport using them on AT&T right now.

As for why they didnt stick around? Because a young generation didnt need them to shorten every word. The former CEO of Blackberry was an idiot. Instead of continuing to make high quality solid devices, they tried to compete with the crowd that wants a toy. Yet do so with less toy things.

Now there is a CEO that understands what they are for and that Blackberry is not a hardware business but a business based on security and software in which also has a few devices that are of high quality.

If you look at the dynamics, the keyboard is pretty funny. Ever notice how many iPad users have a physical keyboard case? Why? If tactile keys are not necessary there would be no reason for one.

So is the only way to get a Passport right now to buy an unlocked phone and then get service through AT&T or T Mobile?

That appears to be the case. Although early in 2015, the Classic will be hitting Verizon.

Well sonuvabeech. Agency just confirmed they're done supporting BB devices starting Jan 2015. I don't get it, but suppose BB sort of did this to themselves. I imagine it could change back eventually, but with the way things work around here that's going to be a long long time from now. By then, I'll no doubt be back to using a flip-phone.

Well sonuvabeech. Agency just confirmed they're done supporting BB devices starting Jan 2015. I don't get it, but suppose BB sort of did this to themselves. I imagine it could change back eventually, but with the way things work around here that's going to be a long long time from now. By then, I'll no doubt be back to using a flip-phone.

Yeah they certainly did.

Blackberry Blend is freaking awesome.

Anyone know of a way to see the Passport or Classic in person?

Anyone know of a way to see the Passport or Classic in person?

Come to a THP Event?
Or wait for AT&T to release it in 2015 (Passport)
Or wait for AT&T and VZW to release it in 2015 (Classic).

Come to a THP Event?
Or wait for AT&T to release it in 2015 (Passport)
Or wait for AT&T and VZW to release it in 2015 (Classic).
Ah damn, that's what I figured. I do want a BB but not sure if I want the Passport or Classic. I don't want to wait any longer :(

Back