Mitsubishi Bassara 52
Matrix Ozik White Tie 50
Matrix Ozik Red Tie 60
Matrix 75M4 Black Tie
Project X LZ 6.0
Fubuki ZT 60
Fubuki Z 50
Aldila Tour GreenAldila Rogue*

Trevor, I see the same list you have listed here. My guess is that the shaft you are selecting that is a $300 upgrade is the Project X LZ Handmade, which is not the same as the Project X LZ. The regular Project X LZ is the stock shaft in the new XR line, and while I see it on the list in the 815 description, I do not see it available on the list when you start building yet.

Trevor, I see the same list you have listed here. My guess is that the shaft you are selecting that is a $300 upgrade is the Project X LZ Handmade, which is not the same as the Project X LZ. The regular Project X LZ is the stock shaft in the new XR line, and while I see it on the list in the 815 description, I do not see it available on the list when you start building yet.

This is it I believe. The upgraded shaft from PX there is the LZ HandCrafted shaft. If you are looking for the LZ that comes standard with the XR line, I would contact Callaway CS and see if they can assist. Or find a THP Event and you can test multiple shafts (my personal driver). Or get into #THeKing event and get a Callaway driver as part of being in the event.

Disgustingly Silly.

I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts, James. I think i would have to agree with the disgustingly silly forgiveness description. I know I don't hit the sweet spot too often, but I've been seeing more distance out of the 85 than last year's big bertha, and it isn't really close at all.
I'm sure I could find a driver which will spin a little less for me, but if it can't beat the 815 in forgiveness, Big Bertha is going to stay in the bag.

This is it I believe. The upgraded shaft from PX there is the LZ HandCrafted shaft. If you are looking for the LZ that comes standard with the XR line, I would contact Callaway CS and see if they can assist. Or find a THP Event and you can test multiple shafts (my personal driver). Or get into #THeKing event and get a Callaway driver as part of being in the event.

JB- do you have any insight on the Handcrafted vs the stock XR version of the Project X? If you have had a chance to test both, are there big performace differences, feel, etc that are noticable? Appreciate the info! (I play the Rouge 60 S but am really interested in giving this shaft a try!)

JB- do you have any insight on the Handcrafted vs the stock XR version of the Project X? If you have had a chance to test both, are there big performace differences, feel, etc that are noticable? Appreciate the info! (I play the Rouge 60 S but am really interested in giving this shaft a try!)

I have both, play both and like both. Probably not the right place, but I will make it easy for you. Come out to a THP Event and I will let you play with both of mine and swap out every other hole. You will be able to find out exactly what you like and how you like it. Even playing similar flex and weight to you.

I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts, James. I think i would have to agree with the disgustingly silly forgiveness description. I know I don't hit the sweet spot too often, but I've been seeing more distance out of the 85 than last year's big bertha, and it isn't really close at all.
I'm sure I could find a driver which will spin a little less for me, but if it can't beat the 815 in forgiveness, Big Bertha is going to stay in the bag.

I really can't get over the forgiveness.

Makes me really eager to try the XR to be honest.

So it's time for an update. Several in here have given great insight into what the Alpha 815 brings to the table and how each of us are different.

One thing that constantly stands out for me is the sound on impact. Center strikes have this distinct sound that is addicting. It makes me want to just empty a bucket of balls on the range. Talking to Fupresti this weekend it's the sound composite heads make and it suits me very well. Others are put off & that's the beauty of this game. There is something for everyone.

Distance/Forgiveness is amazing. I don't have any other words to describe it. I thought the 2014 BB was a game changer with the lateral forgiveness, but Callaway topped it with this one. There were a few times on Sunday where I mishit towards the heel & AdamW commented on how long the drive was considering the mishit. For me where this driver shines is with any strike in the center or near the center is just stupid long. With my set up I get that mid ball flight that just holds the line well. I hit my best drive to date on #7. Granted its a downhill tee shot, but trees right with lakes on the left with a stream cutting through the fairway at about 270 yards from the tee box. I bombed my drive & it split the fairway landing about 10 yards short of the water. That feeling is why I'm addicted to hitting this driver bc I know those shots are there and ready to break out.

Overall a solid driver for me & I know others struggle with adjusting/fitting & move on, but for those that find that right combination will be rewarded.

The sound is mesmerizing. So awesome.

How's the 815's forgiveness on shots struck low on the face? That tends to be my miss.

How's the 815's forgiveness on shots struck low on the face? That tends to be my miss.

So-so for me there, not bad but not as stellar as toe/high for me, but I'm also playing core up and not core down and think that will play a role.

I would say it's decent, I miss more across the face than up/down but I have had a few thinned shots where there was obvious distance loss with a lower flight but still easily in play at a decent yardage out there.

I'm playing with the core down and my misses are low or towards the heel. low misses are line drives for me & obviously mishits will not go as far, but as others have said you are left with respectable distances.

I could probably trade-in my 2014 Big Bertha for a premium as the sweet spot has little metal fatigue from overuse. That being said it sounds like the 815 would be a nice upgrade with my need for improved lateral forgiveness along with increased ball speed. I really thought the stock Fubuki Zeta shaft (59 gram - stiff) was a good pairing for the 2014 BB. Do any of the no up-charge 815 shaft offerings have similar performance characteristic to last year's Fubuki shaft?

Hi lads,

I'm being fittet tomorrow for this. Any last advice/comments etc. before the fitting?

Cheers!

I could probably trade-in my 2014 Big Bertha for a premium as the sweet spot has little metal fatigue from overuse. That being said it sounds like the 815 would be a nice upgrade with my need for improved lateral forgiveness along with increased ball speed. I really thought the stock Fubuki Zeta shaft (59 gram - stiff) was a good pairing for the 2014 BB. Do any of the no up-charge 815 shaft offerings have similar performance characteristic to last year's Fubuki shaft?

I have the Speeder 665 in mine and am local to you. If you can make it out to a local DFW gathering, you're more than welcome to try it out.

I have the Speeder 665 in mine and am local to you. If you can make it out to a local DFW gathering, you're more than welcome to try it out.

thanks, think i might.. working through golfer's elbow right now..too much of that friendly soft Texas turf.

It can be had with the 815 for no upcharge.

I'll guess that since the XRs are not yet officially available, neither are the shafts that come with them. So they show as something that will be offered same as the XRs, but to get them in an 815 you have to wait until the club that has the stock shaft you're looking for is available.

Pondering...The stock 565 or 665 Speeder or upgrade to the Rogue 60 silver...any suggestions?

Pondering...The stock 565 or 665 Speeder or upgrade to the Rogue 60 silver...any suggestions?

Rogue 60 is still a stock option.

Pretty different shafts. I've hit both the 565 and the 665 in the Bertha now with similar results between the two, the Rogue I've hit in the 915 D2. I would call a little stiffer, not as smooth. Though, that comes down to your tempo and what you like in a shaft. Would suggest trying the Rogue before purchasing because from my experience it is a different beast than the Speeder line.

Back