The Official Patrick Reed Thread

I got to the part surrounding his parents and I realized how sad it is. I understand not everyone has a perfect child/parent relationship, but if the article holds even a small amount of truth about their relationship, I truly feel sad for his parents.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This sort of thing may come back to haunt me, but I don't mind. You're the parent. You set the boundaries. Your kid's a jerk with one obsession, that's easy. You take it away. I got a 6 year old who would play video games all day if I let him. He's good at it. Doesn't mean I let him wrap himself about the axle about video games. I insist that he become a reasonably balanced human being. You can encourage talents without letting those talents become their sole source of worth.

Honestly, which would you rather raise: A top-10 golfer who's also a total irrevocable jerk, or a top-100 golfer who's pleasant to be around? Any kid who wraps up the entirety of their self-worth in something they do rather than the kind of person they are, and any parent who lets or even encourages the development of that sort of person, deserves everything they get out of it, emotionally and mentally, IMO.

Side note: God, please don't let my kids become highly talented jerks.

As for Reed himself, while it casts a lot of negative light on how he acted in college, especially as far as golf and college life, well, I know I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life answering for the kind of person I was between 17 and 22. I think most people who play golf competitively are half-crazy to start with anyway. Patrick Reed is a bit older now, a dad and a husband and all of that, and I think that probably changes a guy. I'm not saying he hasn't stopped being a jerk. He's plainly a jerk. If he wasn't a jerk, there's a decent chance we wouldn't have a thread about him largely centered on his alleged most jerky moments. But then again, the thread where we talk about him would be the same "These new guys are all boring" that follows so many of these new young guys on tour. Also, no one is writing articles about them subjectively analyzing their mom's social media presence.

Reed is an amazingly talented golfer, you don't get to 4 wins on his age without some serious skills. I doubt he'll ever be number one, or even win any majors, but he's going to be a serious competitor for the next 15 years.

But man, I just can't stand watching him! I like people who have a strong desire to be the best, I like people who have confidence and show it, but there's just something about his attitude that I just don't like. Arrogance might be the closest term to describe it.

Just read this and it's articles like this that make me not appreciate journalist. I don't really see the point of this article nor the quote from his former coach from Georgia. Everyone has done things in their past that might cause embarassment or shame, doesn't mean that someone who gets an idea should bring them to light to make a name for him/herself. Just like other golfers, Reed should be judged on his play rather than how he got to play on PGA Tour. Nothing in this article references the times he spent monday qualifying or trying to make it on tour. It appears that everything he did in his past, right or wrong, prepared him perfectly for the road he chose for himself, PGA TOUR winner and Ryder Cup member.

Anything about this relationship with his parents in this book? I'd love to read it and see how accurate they are......

My out year prediction, the dude will have an epic flame out event in his future. Not necessarily his game but his mental state.

Never heard of any of the incidents in the story. Really interesting read. Hard to know the true story of everything, but it sheds a different light on him.

This sort of thing may come back to haunt me, but I don't mind. You're the parent. You set the boundaries. Your kid's a jerk with one obsession, that's easy. You take it away. I got a 6 year old who would play video games all day if I let him. He's good at it. Doesn't mean I let him wrap himself about the axle about video games. I insist that he become a reasonably balanced human being. You can encourage talents without letting those talents become their sole source of worth.

Honestly, which would you rather raise: A top-10 golfer who's also a total irrevocable jerk, or a top-100 golfer who's pleasant to be around? Any kid who wraps up the entirety of their self-worth in something they do rather than the kind of person they are, and any parent who lets or even encourages the development of that sort of person, deserves everything they get out of it, emotionally and mentally, IMO.

Side note: God, please don't let my kids become highly talented jerks.

As for Reed himself, while it casts a lot of negative light on how he acted in college, especially as far as golf and college life, well, I know I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life answering for the kind of person I was between 17 and 22. I think most people who play golf competitively are half-crazy to start with anyway. Patrick Reed is a bit older now, a dad and a husband and all of that, and I think that probably changes a guy. I'm not saying he hasn't stopped being a jerk. He's plainly a jerk. If he wasn't a jerk, there's a decent chance we wouldn't have a thread about him largely centered on his alleged most jerky moments. But then again, the thread where we talk about him would be the same "These new guys are all boring" that follows so many of these new young guys on tour. Also, no one is writing articles about them subjectively analyzing their mom's social media presence.

I'm not a parent and I'm sure there is more to the story. Just would like to know what they had to do to him for him to resent them enough to not invite them to his wedding (I have a suspicion based on the article, but don't want to read too much into it).

Just wonder how Reed would feel if his own child didn't invite him when it comes their time.

I am a Patrick Reed fan so im going to be a little bias, but how does this author know private conversations between Reed and his parents? I honestly don't believe much of the article and would need some strong evidence to prove it's true.

Those NCAA tourney stories are awesome, but man the family stuff is just bizarre.

I'm not a parent and I'm sure there is more to the story. Just would like to know what they had to do to him for him to resent them enough to not invite them to his wedding (I have a suspicion based on the article, but don't want to read too much into it).

Just wonder how Reed would feel if his own child didn't invite him when it comes their time.

They didn't do a damn thing, he is a narcissistic turd. My business partners son was a nationally ranked jr and played div 1 golf, he was close to PR as they played at the same club, grew up in the same neighborhood, etc. I've been listening to stories about this kid since he was a teenager, mark my words, epic meltdown will happen in the future.

Reed must be on the edge of greatness if stories like this are coming out now. I am over, trumped up articles to gain viewers. Non issues if you ask me. Let the guy play some golf and do his thing.

Your assuming his parents haven't given him a legitimate reason to disconnect with them completely.

over time I agree, I think Spieth will have the better career. But at this point in time, edge goes to Reed IMO.

More wins than Spieth, Jason Day and Rickie Fowler...COMBINED!
Not too shabby. What does he have 4 wins in last 35 events or something like that?

Your assuming his parents haven't given him a legitimate reason to disconnect with them completely.

I'm sure there's more to it.

Not too shabby. What does he have 4 wins in last 35 events or something like that?

damn you and your stats

damn you and your stats

Jimmy Walker has similar stats...i wouldn't consider him a great golfer. I am with dean, the current stats go to Reed, but in the long run I think Jordan's career will surpass Reed's, even betting Jordan gets a major before Reed.

That's a pretty good percentage right there.

Jimmy Walker has similar stats...i wouldn't consider him a great golfer. I am with dean, the current stats go to Reed, but in the long run I think Jordan's career will surpass Reed's, even betting Jordan gets a major before Reed.

Speaking of Jordan, we had his girlfriend in the office on Thursday. She is working with the First Tee of Dallas and we are doing a promotional tie-in with them. Really sweet kid, they've been dating since high school.

Until Reed takes down a full field, I am going to lean the way of Reed.

I mean I usually understand Panda speak, but this one has me confused. Do you mean until Spieth takes down a full field?

Over the course of those 4 wins, best finish in a major for Reed...T35

Admittedly, the smallest sample size of the lot of them, but might be indicative of how Reed plays against bigger, tougher fields and courses.

You wouldnt consider Jimmy Walker a great golfer? That is surprising.
To me that is like saying Lydia Ko is better than Annika, because she has a ton of promise.

Spieth most likely has a great future, but right now, he has won a single tournament. Some would say played terribly in his Sunday major bright spot. And his single win was not exactly a star studded field. We are still waiting for Rickie Fowler to get another win and meanwhile this kid has close to a handful. Jason Day has 2. Think about all of these young "stars" and how Reed has outplayed all of them in spots and has more wins than all of them.

Hard to say that about a kid with a single win and been on tour for about the same amount of time.

His mother just tweeted this today:

His mother just tweeted this today:

So weird. The video doesn't seem to back up the article and neither does this tweet. Maybe life was bad at one time but they have either made up and moved on or there is a ton of faking going on.

So weird. The video doesn't seem to back up the article and neither does this tweet. Maybe life was bad at one time but they have either made up and moved on or there is a ton of faking going on.

Just sounds like a Mom to me. No matter what, we (or most of us) will always have our children's best interest at heart.

Just sounds like a Mom to me. No matter what, we (or most of us) will always have our children's best interest at heart.

I hear ya. But his dad was talking about getting to caddie for him at Augusta yet he wasn't invited to the wedding?? Just came off odd to me.

Back