Forum Testing Signup - TaylorMade RSi 2 Irons

No notification - but I did get an automated message last night that I had a package waiting at our leasing office, so maybe they've arrived!

I can't wait, these look really good in person and from the few swings I took we are in for a treat.

rjb01camaross
Orange Hog
Wonton
Trout Bum

Are any of you planning to adjust the lie angle of your irons? I checked with my local shop and they are reluctant to bend them as they are cast. I checked with TaylorMade and they said they can bend them up to 2-degrees for free; we'd just have to pay S&H. They said that it is OK for GolfSmith or any other authorized retailer to bend them 2-degrees (flat or upright).

I know I'm going to need them bent 2-degrees upright so I can give meaningful reviews.

They can be bent 4 degrees either way. Mine were bent 4 on the spot. Oddly enough, some irons were easier bending than others.

rjb01camaross
Orange Hog
Wonton
Trout Bum

Are any of you planning to adjust the lie angle of your irons? I checked with my local shop and they are reluctant to bend them as they are cast. I checked with TaylorMade and they said they can bend them up to 2-degrees for free; we'd just have to pay S&H. They said that it is OK for GolfSmith or any other authorized retailer to bend them 2-degrees (flat or upright).

I know I'm going to need them bent 2-degrees upright so I can give meaningful reviews.

I'm not sure honestly, it will depend on how they line up at address and what the ball does off the face.

rjb01camaross
Orange Hog
Wonton
Trout Bum

I plan to give them a shot in stock form first and compare them to my Cobras but I do expect I will be adding some lead tape to get the swingweight up where I prefer it to be. I have never been fitted for lie angle so this maybe a good time to get that checked out and make changes if needed. The lofts are a bit stronger than I am used to and a few of the clubs are 1/4inch longer so I'm interested to see how these sets compare. It will be a fun and informative test for sure!

rjb01camaross
Orange Hog
Wonton
Trout Bum

Not for me. I play standard lie so these should fit me well.

I plan to give them a shot in stock form first and compare them to my Cobras but I do expect I will be adding some lead tape to get the swingweight up where I prefer it to be. I have never been fitted for lie angle so this maybe a good time to get that checked out and make changes if needed. The lofts are a bit stronger than I am used to and a few of the clubs are 1/4inch longer so I'm interested to see how these sets compare. It will be a fun and informative test for sure!
If you are going to compare the against other irons, just make sure you compare a 38in length iron with 27*loft
to the same length and loft of the irons you are comparing with...don't just compare one 5 iron to the other 5 iron...
enjoy

Getting fit for lie angle is probably the single most important thing you can do for quality iron shots! If that club comes into the ground with that toe just a touch deep, it's so easy for the heel to kick out and send the ball to the right. Likewise, you can hit the ball left with an otherwise perfect swing if that heel is getting deeper.

This is my understanding but I'm guessing others will back me up here...

If you are going to compare the against other irons, just make sure you compare *** to the same *** loft of the irons you are comparing with...don't just compare one 5 iron to the other 5 iron...
enjoy

I disagree. Launch angle not loft.

I also think it may before useful to test a club against what an OEM says it will do, not necessarily other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting fit for lie angle is probably the single most important thing you can do for quality iron shots! If that club comes into the ground with that toe just a touch deep, it's so easy for the heel to kick out and send the ball to the right. Likewise, you can hit the ball left with an otherwise perfect swing if that heel is getting deeper.

This is my understanding but I'm guessing others will back me up here...

Definitely the most important part. what do they say, per 1 degree off in lie, it's 3-5 yards off line? Something like that?

I disagree. Launch angle not loft.

I also think it may before useful to test a club against what an OEM says it will do, not necessarily other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OEMs like to say their clubs are longer... They do this because they have had focus groups that tell them distance is a top
priority for lots of golfers .... Their clubs are longer because they stamp a #6 on what's really a # 5 ..., its a marketing hoax that , unfortunately , a lot of people believe.... They should just come out and say "our clubs are lofted stronger than our competitors clubs",but they try to make the consumer believe that their technology is superior.... I fell for it once with TM irons.. I thought "man im hitting these 10yrds farther...Then I compared specs and realized that I had been had ... I traded the irons the next day(for a loss)... But I don't like to be deceived...launch angle , weight distribution , etc have little to do with it . It's loft and length of shaft !!!

:popcorn:

OEMs like to say their clubs are longer... They do this because they have had focus groups that tell them distance is a top
priority for lots of golfers .... Their clubs are longer because they stamp a #6 on what's really a # 5 ..., its a marketing hoax that , unfortunately , a lot of people believe.... They should just come out and say "our clubs are lofted stronger than our competitors clubs",but they try to make the consumer believe that their technology is superior.... I fell for it once with TM irons.. I thought "man im hitting these 10yrds farther...Then I compared specs and realized that I had been had ... I traded the irons the next day(for a loss)... But I don't like to be deceived...launch angle , weight distribution , etc have little to do with it . It's loft and length of shaft !!!

This is just not accurate.
Its why every company has different sets with different lofts.
Distance is the byproduct and one that is easy to market for them.
Moving weight lower produces a higher and spinnier ball flight. To move the ball flight down, spin is reduced with thin faces and stronger lofts. Its why TaylorMade and other companies will have some sets with a PW at one degree and others at one higher or lower.

Its not the place for it and frankly the testers should review the clubs as they seem fit.

but even with the same brand, it would be hard to match up the loft and length. My Rocketbladez Tours don't match up with the RSI 2s unless I bend one of the sets to match.

I disagree quite a bit with this. The design characteristics including CG and MOI etc. are certainly part of the equation.

Those who think it's just a loft issue should take an old 7 iron that's easily bendable and bend them strong a few degrees, to that of a current offering. Go hit them side by side and post the results.

Plus, I think Taylormade's main objection with the RSi series is the FaceSlot Technology. I don't think they ever claimed to be longer than other clubs/brands out there.
Personally, I won't touch the loft on the RSi 2s. These irons are meant to have specific specs and factors why these are what they are.

Those who think it's just a loft issue should take an old 7 iron that's easily bendable and bend them strong a few degrees, to that of a current offering. Go hit them side by side and post the results.

Done this many times. In fact I think we should host an equipment gathering soon and show the results of this. Anybody can come, test all kinds of stuff outside on the range and course with the launch monitor and see what's going on. I will even bend irons to be the same loft from all different categories so people can decipher for themselves.

This is just not accurate.
Its why every company has different sets with different lofts.
Distance is the byproduct and one that is easy to market for them.
Moving weight lower produces a higher and spinnier ball flight. To move the ball flight down, spin is reduced with thin faces and stronger lofts. Its why TaylorMade and other companies will have some sets with a PW at one degree and others at one higher or lower.

Its not the place for it and frankly the testers should review the clubs as they seem fit.
Your right, wrong place for it

Done this many times. In fact I think we should host an equipment gathering soon and show the results of this. Anybody can come, test all kinds of stuff outside on the range and course with the launch monitor and see what's going on. I will even bend irons to be the same loft from all different categories so people can decipher for themselves.

I like all of this idea. Pretty much a golf club mythbusters

Back