Bridgestone Prototype Ball Testing

wluker17

Reaction score
Handicap
A few days ago I was invited to the Bridgestone ball manufacturing and testing facility in Covington, GA to participate in prototype ball testing. I went yesterday afternoon for my appointment.

First off, after I went through the testing, I asked if it was alright if I talked or posted about it or if I needed to keep it confidential for a while. They said that it was fine for me to post about it since they didn't really tell me what I was hitting or give me any details. I specifically mentioned THP and they said that they loved THP. I didn't post anything about before hand because I wanted to ask first if it was ok.

Now, back to the test.
I showed up at my appointment and rang the bell for someone to let me into their private testing facility behind the main building. They have a sweet private range with a short game area and a few green complexes going off to the side. They said that they were in the amateur testing phase of a new line of balls. They have already done some pro testing with Sneds and Kuch at the same facility. (just one of the cool things about it)

After a quick warm up, we started out with with a 30-40 yard pitch shot. They had one guy running trackman and two people watching me. They had me hit 3-4 shots with an unmarked control ball (they never identified it) and then 3-4 shots with three other types of balls. After my shots with each different type of ball they would ask questions about it. Like what I though of the feel and spin of that ball compared to the control ball. After I hit all the different balls they asked which one I liked best and why. For most shots, ball A was my favorite. Look for ball A to hit the market some time in the future. It is really nice. :wink: Next, we moved to a shorter chip shot. And it was the same routine for hitting some shots with the control ball then balls A, B and C (That is all the info I got on what I was hitting) for shots with 9 iron, 6 iron and then driver with questions after each type of ball and each round. At the end they asked about my overall impressions of each ball and which one I liked best and why. I thought ball A had a good combination of soft feel and good bite on the short shots and it felt hot off the driver with a really boring trajectory. It also cut through the wind really well as it was blowing about 15mph+ out there. I never got to see the info sheet they were putting all my answers on and I also never got to see any of the trackman data for my shots. After the test we chatted briefly about some equipment. I got to see the new wedges and they look really nice. They game me 2 dozen B330 balls, a hat, and glove just for coming out.

That was a really cool experience. Thanks Bridgestone for randomly emailing me and inviting me to be a part of this test. I can't wait to find out what kind of balls I was hitting.

Sounds like an awesome experience and thanks for sharing.

That's freaking awesome. Thanks for sharing that experience.

What a great experience!

Sounds like an awesome experience, glad you got to experience it!

Very Cool experience. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a super cool experience!

DawgDaddy talked about doing this in the past when we were at Mission Inn, sounded like a cool experience. I can only imagine that they were the next 330 line.

Awesome! Sounds like it was a blast!

That's awesome, thanks for letting us hear all about it!

thanks for sharing and sounds cool and fun. i agree with fairbands assessment.

DawgDaddy talked about doing this in the past when we were at Mission Inn, sounded like a cool experience. I can only imagine that they were the next 330 line.
I'm pretty sure they are the next B330 of some kind. I don't know if they were three different variations of the same ball or three different balls all together. I don't think they were any of the E series.

That sounds like you had a great time out there! That is really cool of B-Stone to do that with you.

that's pretty cool. do you think ball A was always the same model, or do you think that depending on the station they you change the order to make sure to have unbiaised data? (ie on chips, A=330-RX, b=330, etc and on drives a = e6 b=330-RX and so on)
do you think they will tell you which one you tested upon release?

That is too cool. It sounds like such a fun experience.. cant wait to see what ball it is that you were hitting!

Man that sounds like a awesome time.

Awesome experience and really wouldn't expect anything less from Bridgestone

That is so awesome!!

Bridgestone showing the love and I know you enjoyed touring their facility

Sounds like an Awesome experience! Thanks for sharing about it!!

that's pretty cool. do you think ball A was always the same model, or do you think that depending on the station they you change the order to make sure to have unbiaised data? (ie on chips, A=330-RX, b=330, etc and on drives a = e6 b=330-RX and so on)
do you think they will tell you which one you tested upon release?

Ball A was always the same as well as B and C. They had written the letter on each ball. We did change the order some. I don't know if they will ever tell me. I forgot to ask about that.

War Eagle from my iPad

What a cool thing to get to do.

MaryC and I did this a couple years ago for the lady ball. It was too cool!

Excellent write up, thanks for sharing that very cool experience with us!

Titleist does the same up by me every year, I've sent in my info when I get the emails but they've never picked me. I guess they don't do too much testing on amateurs who only hit 230 off the tee and miss more fairways than they hit :-D

Back