Tempo - best drill to learn/groove it?

BuckeyeMark

Reaction score
Handicap
I think I'm rushing my backswing and just not staying in rhythm. What's the best drill to groove tempo? I saw an app for it but it's like $25 which is a lot for an app. Other ideas?

For me it's just repetition of taking the club back slower pausing at the top and just uncoiling through to the finish.

Concentrating on keeping in proper position with my lower body also really slows down my tempo

Orange whip has helped me a ton.

My Garmin Approach S6 GPS watch has a tempo trainer on it which is pretty helpful.

Orange whip and pause drill. Or just swing to the words Pizza Pie.

mmm pizza pie.

I am going to have to try that one. Tempo is one of the things I tend to screw up on a lot. Trying to work on it though.

Michael Breed discussed a drill I really like on the Golf Fix. I use this a lot on the range for my takeaway and backswing tempo:

* Set up to a ball normally and put a second ball right behind your club.
* Your goal is to gently and smoothly push the second ball back with your takeaway so that it only goes 1-2 feet back. Enough to give you space to strike the first ball normally.
* Swing normally but heed the tempo established with the initial takeaway.

Last edited:
Get a mirror and stand in front of it. As a golf coach there is no better drill. Also look at ur set up. Are ur shoulders pointing to target and ur hips just left of target?

Grab a 7i. Take full swings. Only swing fast enough to hit a 100 yards. Full swing 100 yard 7i.

When I struggle with my tempo I go back to the "swing with your feet together drill". If I take a full swing and don't lose my balance then the tempo is usually pretty good.

You don't need the app. Before the app there was a book incl. CD. I Ripped the CD to put on my iPhone.
Go look for Tour Tempo on youtube. You might find something there.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Tour Tempo is neat, but it messed with my head.

x2 on Tour Tempo.

Spend the money on a plane ticket and go play some golf and range time with Trout Bum.

Here is a good video of the pause drill I use. It's a pause and pump.

And for PIZZA PIE, you say the word Pizza on the back swing and pie on the down swing. You can use any words that are a 3:1 ratio. When I'm really working on something I use 1, 2, 3, and hit the top of back swing and 4, down swing.

If you got o 3:11 of this video he shows how to say words with swings for tempo.

[video=youtube_share;HKgQ-gc6OSY]http://youtu.be/HKgQ-gc6OSY?t=3m13s[/video]

Turn an iron upside down so you are holding it by the head. Take your practice swings.

i feel like tempo is so far down the list of what most people (including me, of course) should be working on. the only time i think tempo can be an issue is in a pressure situation; other than that, you can make a good swing with a fast tempo and a good swing with a rhythmic tempo. maybe my definition of tempo is different than others.

For me, the Orange Whip is magic.

+1 for the orange whip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back