POKeefe

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been playing off and on for a few years now and I want to start getting more serious. My scores have been dropping a good bit over time and I am hitting the ball further more consistently now, but I definitely feel my clubs are letting me down. I've been playing with whatever random clubs friends decide to give me that they don't like.

Right now it is:
Wilson Ultra Driver, FW Wood, and 4 Hybrid
Big Mo 5 Hybrid
Dunlop (REALLY OLD) 3-5 Irons
Top Flite 6-PW
Knight Putter

I can feel it when I don't hit it cleanly and I feel like it's keeping my game from dropping below the 110-120 I usually shoot. I'm a 5'9" righty and I have a slice that has a lot to do with my old baseball swing style. It has lessened over time, but it is still there. This is currently what I was thinking, but I wanted input:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Edge 10" Regular Flex Draw w/Standard Grip
Fairway Wood: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Edge Regular Flex 3W Draw w/Standard Grip
Hybrids: 3H and 4H Callaway Diablo Edge Regular Flex w/Winn DSI AVG V17 Soft Grip
Iron Set: 5-PW Callaway Diablo Edge Regular Flex w/Winn DSI AVS V17 Soft Grip
Wedge: Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl 56" w/Winn DSI AVS V17 Soft Grip
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #9 34"

I have tried the Winn grips and I love the feel of them on irons, but the standard Callaway grip isn't bad for the Driver and Fairway Wood. My dad recently upgraded to a set of Callaway Fusion Irons, Big Bertha Hybrids, and Diablo Wood and Driver and his shots have improved dramatically from his old crappy clubs. He's a lefty though, otherwise I would give his a shot at the range. I've been reading good things about the new DE's and the Machspeeds for High Handicappers.

If you have a slice that you are fighting, I would recommend fixing it before investing in a ton of new equipment. Many times it is coming from an over the top swing and fixing it early can be the greatest asset to finding the right clubs thereafter. From there find a fitter and get fit properly for your irons. You will want to try out as many as you can before your purchase. While the stuff you are looking for could look and sound great, before you go and spend over a grand on new purchases, you definitely want to get the swing looked at and then fit for the clubs so they will work with your swing. Just my opinion anyway.

The Diablo Edge stuff is all good stuff. I played the Edge driver and loved it. Ive hit the irons too and theyre a solid choice too. Really, if you buy all that you will make OEM Kevin very happy and proud LOL. Thats a nice haul. Just make sure you hit it all before buying just to be sure. Plus the new Callaway X-24 irons are out and I like them even more then the Diablo Edge irons. Worth checking them out at the least. And welcome to THP.

And what JB said too lol

I guess my deal is I live in a middle of nowhere type area. Lot of good, cheap courses, but not many higher tech indoor facilities. The slice has been mostly fixed, I am just on the in between of snapping the wrist and turning the whole body. My mind is fighting it. Most of my shots are fairly straight now, it's just very annoying when the ball is flying straight as an arrow and then has a late fade. I want something highly forgiving and that will last. The 3I Dunlop is half broken and the Big Mo is a Sumo knockoff that goes ping... I pretty much stick to the Driver, FW, 4H, 6I, and PW. All 5 clubs come from one of those $200 complete sets you find at Sports Authority too. I know my swing has issues, but I'd like to at least get decent clubs to begin to fix it.

I also need a golf shoe suggestion as I have been playing with sneakers. I'm the definition of a Sunday hacker. Last summer I went to the range a lot and was down hitting 108-110 consistently and I hit 118-120 this weekend after not having played in a good 6 months. I'm hitting a club length further than I used to though. I want to start playing a lot like I did last summer.

There is a thread in the golf style section on peoples favorite shoes that may help you. As for irons, I would personally NEVER buy irons without trying them, and I certianly would not spend a thousand dollars or more on gear without it being fit for me. That is the difference between hitting of the toe or heel and hitting it flush with each swing just with adjustments. Just my opinion. Most decent courses will have someone that can fit you. So will tons of golf stores. If you let us know the area, we possibly could help finding one or someone will have a recommendation of somebody.

See, normally I would say that lessons are way overrated and anyone should be able to get to low 80s maybe even 70s without any major help. But I got some minor instruction from the pro at my course and Im carrying all of my irons 17 yards further, and only 3.1 yards off target line [from avg 6.9]. I play an extremely consistent baby fade that I would HATE to lose. Its high, its predictable, and it barely rolls out.

Hitting straight shots are WAY overrated if you can predict your slice or whatever. Trying to hit straight all the time will cause to lose even more accuracy.

The Zip Code of my home is 34614 and of where I go to college is 33165. I could probably hitch a ride to places close to either one. Generally, how much does fitting cost, especially if you buy online since it's usually quite a bit cheaper?

See, normally I would say that lessons are way overrated and anyone should be able to get to low 80s maybe even 70s without any major help. But I got some minor instruction from the pro at my course and Im carrying all of my irons 17 yards further, and only 3.1 yards off target line [from avg 6.9]. I play an extremely consistent baby fade that I would HATE to lose. Its high, its predictable, and it barely rolls out.

Hitting straight shots are WAY overrated if you can predict your slice or whatever. Trying to hit straight all the time will cause to lose even more accuracy.

Possibly the post I disagree with most on this site since its existence. The fact that you believe that "anybody" should get into the 70s or low 80s without help borderlines absurd in my opinion.

Averaging only 3.1 yards off target line is even better than most tour players as well. Congrats.

The Zip Code of my home is 34614 and of where I go to college is 33165. I could probably hitch a ride to places close to either one. Generally, how much does fitting cost, especially if you buy online since it's usually quite a bit cheaper?

You have quite a few fitters within 30 minutes and some of the best out there within 60 minutes. You are in FL, and if I am correct, fairly close to Lake Jovita golf course. You may want to consider the FL Golf Outing this fall. We have two huge demo days full of every possible piece of equipment you could ever imaging and get to play PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

I know and uderstand your point but have to disagree. For most people a lesson will be invaluable. Specially if you have never taken any lessons. Without lessons usually you have know idea all the things you are doing wrong. It starts with the grip, posture, alignment, swing plane, take away, downswing tons of areas where it can go wrong. I took lessons to start off last season and it was the best thing Ive ever done. I was down on golf and ready to give it up. I dont think lessons are ever a bad idea.

You have quite a few fitters within 30 minutes and some of the best out there within 60 minutes. You are in FL, and if I am correct, fairly close to Lake Jovita golf course. You may want to consider the FL Golf Outing this fall. We have two huge demo days full of every possible piece of equipment you could ever imaging and get to play PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens.

i second the notion of making it to the outing. you'll have the opportunity to hit just about everything out there, on a launch monitor, with people who know what the hell they're talking about, and it'll be more fun than you can imagine. i say hold off on your purchase, hit anything and everything before buying, get fit, then buy, you'll be glad you did.

I really just don't feel like going through the whole summer with this absolutely horrible set. It's not like most people here who have a semi-decent baseline and are looking to go from 2005-2006 tech to 2010... the set I have now really are that poor. I've only hit on nice iron before, the Nike Sumo. It was probably the best iron shot I ever hit in my life too :/. It may seem like an exaggeration, but this stuff is really horrible.

Lake Jovita is roughly an hour away and is on the Exec Card that we have.

i second the notion of making it to the outing. you'll have the opportunity to hit just about everything out there, on a launch monitor, with people who know what the hell they're talking about, and it'll be more fun than you can imagine. i say hold off on your purchase, hit anything and everything before buying, get fit, then buy, you'll be glad you did.

+1 def come to the outing. And if you decide to buy all new clubs before, still come to outing so we can all see your clubs and hang out. Going to be EPIC

I really just don't feel like going through the whole summer with this absolutely horrible set. It's not like most people here who have a semi-decent baseline and are looking to go from 2005-2006 tech to 2010... the set I have now really are that poor. I've only hit on nice iron before, the Nike Sumo. It was probably the best iron shot I ever hit in my life too :/. It may seem like an exaggeration, but this stuff is really horrible.

If you want advice, i say get a lesson and get fit for whatever you buy. If you want validation on whether or not the clubs are nice, sure they are, but you should definitely get fit for them. There is no reason to guess on shaft length and flex, lie angle, etc.. if you dont have to.

at least get fit, it doesn't take long and it's not going to cost you a thing if you're dead set on buying new sticks.

+1 lol for old times sake....

+1 def come to the outing. And if you decide to buy all new clubs before, still come to outing so we can all see your clubs and hang out. Going to be EPIC

at least get fit, it doesn't take long and it's not going to cost you a thing if you're dead set on buying new sticks.

Agree 100%

I will definitely try to come to an outing as long as my schedule allows me to. Where might I be able to get them fit and where might they have a launch monitor, fitting gear, etc? I'm an absolute newb when it comes to this sort of deal. The one thing I have learned from other hobbies I've started out with crap equipment though is that I've generally had a very hard time improving until the equipment improved.

My main question on the clubs is basically are there better options for high handicappers and that sort of deal. Are there cheaper clubs that would perform similarly? Those type of things I guess I wouldn't know unless I found a good place with a launch monitor and many clubs to try though.

it can be done at dick's, a golfusa, a nevada bob's, golf galaxy, pga superstore. are any of those retailers around you?

Sport's Authority?

I will definitely try to come to an outing as long as my schedule allows me to. Where might I be able to get them fit and where might they have a launch monitor, fitting gear, etc? I'm an absolute newb when it comes to this sort of deal. The one thing I have learned from other hobbies I've started out with crap equipment though is that I've generally had a very hard time improving until the equipment improved.

My main question on the clubs is basically are there better options for high handicappers and that sort of deal. Are there cheaper clubs that would perform similarly? Those type of things I guess I wouldn't know unless I found a good place with a launch monitor and many clubs to try though.

Every club will be different based on swing type. I know about 30-40 minutes south of you, there is a Golfsmith with a GolfTEC inside it. Our THP Teaching pro is a teacher and master fitter at that location. If you are going to spend that kind of money, definitely go to a golf store.

Every club will be different based on swing type. I know about 30-40 minutes south of you, there is a Golfsmith with a GolfTEC inside it. Our THP Teaching pro is a teacher and master fitter at that location.

Bonus!! There you go!

i'd love to get lessons from andy, that would be awesome....i vote that you go to him man, it'll be worth it and you can always keep up with each other via the site as well.

And of course one can just get a fitting from Andy and not have a lesson. GolfTEC does both and he is AWESOME.

Hopefully I can get back here fairly soon then. I'm only in town tomorrow, then I will be going back to Miami for a while. I go to college at FIU and come home every once in a while throughout the summer. I am hoping to buy clubs here though and later in the summer take them back to Miami to play with a group of guys.

Back