Any good game improver sandwedges?

willybilly

Reaction score
Handicap
I had been using a Callaway X20 Sandwedge. It was the first sand wedge that I could hit about anywhere; I wasn't timid when using it. Man, my scores improved greatly because of it.

Sadly,I left it on on the course and am now without it. It has really upset me. I loved that thing. Anyway, I'm on the hunt for something new.

I'm not sure if the "sand wedge" was easy to hit or if it's the lessons I've been taking. I started getting lessons around the time I got the X 20 set. All I know, is I cannot a 60 degree wedge, which makes me think the game improver wedge was what helped me most.

Anyway, are the CLeveland CG 14 game improvers? If not, are there any easy to hit, confidence inspiring sand wedges out there?

The CG14s do have some forgiveness, but they are still blade wedges. Most wedges purchased outside of "set" wedges will be blade type of wedges because people want the ability and find it easier to open them up.

There are options out there.
1. Niblick 56 degree
2. You can get another X-20 since it seemed to be working
3. Demo some blade wedges like the CG's and see if they work for you.

Okay, thanks JB. Thanks for the help. I always kind of wondered about that. Blade wedges sound kind of intimidating. Like I mentioned, I have a Taylormade RAC 60 degree and am not consistent at all with it. I'm hitting it way fat too often to feel comfortable. Also, I'm skulling it and blazing it twenty yards past the green. Lol. Maybe I'll have to get another X20.

Okay, thanks JB. Thanks for the help. I always kind of wondered about that. Blade wedges sound kind of intimidating. Like I mentioned, I have a Taylormade RAC 60 degree and am not consistent at all with it. I'm hitting it way fat too often to feel comfortable. Also, I'm skulling it and blazing it twenty yards past the green. Lol. Maybe I'll have to get another X20.

That can be the loft, the bounce, or more. Try out a few and let us know your thoughts. A wedge fitting online or at a store might help figure out what works best for your swing.

I have a SW that matches my Cleveland Launcher Irons, and I have a Wilson "blade style" SW. I really can't seem to tell much difference in either as far as performance at the range. I do tend to rotate them. I guess there is more "feel" and versatilty in the blade but my scores can't tell a difference.

If you liked the SW you had, then I'd get another one. You could also get a cheap blade style SW to experiment with.

I love the Cleveland cg14 and heard the cg15 may be better. Pretty easy to hit, but I don't know ifthey are considered game improvement.

My CG14 56* sandwedge is a bit more than one year old. I use this thing for EVERYTHING 85 yards and under. I open the blade and lob from a variety of distances, close the blade for a bump and run, or punch it from the deep stuff for a quick check bump and run short shot. However, I feel it's run it's course in this short time. I rarely back this thing up on open bladed or full shots anymore. Usually its a one hope wonder, but many times want to back her up a tad. While I like my CG15, the 14 is my true love and think it's time for another.

Last edited:
I've always found a nice Philly cheese steak sandwedge or a triple decker club sandwedge before I play improves my game.

Kevin

I've always found a nice Philly cheese steak sandwedge or a triple decker club sandwedge before I play improves my game.

Kevin

HAHAHAHAHAH. Great stuff right there.

lol! thanks esox now I'm hungry! :hungry:

Kevin

I had been using a Callaway X20 Sandwedge. It was the first sand wedge that I could hit about anywhere; I wasn't timid when using it. Man, my scores improved greatly because of it.

Sadly,I left it on on the course and am now without it. It has really upset me. I loved that thing. Anyway, I'm on the hunt for something new.

I'm not sure if the "sand wedge" was easy to hit or if it's the lessons I've been taking. I started getting lessons around the time I got the X 20 set. All I know, is I cannot a 60 degree wedge, which makes me think the game improver wedge was what helped me most.

Anyway, are the CLeveland CG 14 game improvers? If not, are there any easy to hit, confidence inspiring sand wedges out there?

The CG15 is the easist blade type wedge I have ever used. If you are looking for something stictly for the sand, its hard to beat. No need to be intimidated either, I can hit nice flop shots and full shots with it as well without problems and I am defianately a hacker!

If you want a more all around club the 56 Niblick is definately easy to use and decent for a straight pick shot out of the sand.

I have the same issue. I can't hit with my 60* LW but I can hit with my SW. Go figure :confused2:

check out OEM's wedge testing thread....

I just picked up a Callaway X-Tour sand wedge and love it. Its 1000 times better than what I was using. If you loved the X-20 you should look into another Cally maybe

UPDATE: Well, I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and hit a few wedges. Fell in love with Cleveland CG 15's Wow! Based on the reviews on THP, I knew I wasn't alone or crazy with the pure awesomeness of these wedges! Had a coupon for ten bucks off, so I snatched a 56 with 14 degrees of bounce. I LOVE this wedge! Now, I'm considering buying a lob with high bounce too. First, I'll have to convince the wife to let me have another hundred bucks.

lol good stuff willybilly! enjoy the new stick!

Back