So this is my Legacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My man, do your thing and i will follow along.

Should be good to follow.
Where are you starting from. Average score, strengths, weakness

Great question:

I ended the last HC season shooting consistently in the low to mid 80's. Length is a strength as I see it. I roll the ball fairly well. My weaknesses as I told my instructor recently are accuracy off the tee. Short game: controlling trajectory and spin of approach shots. Those are things I'll be focused on during my lessons. Then there is the mental side of this game that I need to focus on. Which he has said he will work with me on as well.

Quick update, I found myself with a day today to invest towards preps for the event. Swing felt ok give. The changes I'm trying to make. The thing that frustrates me was I went against what I swore I wouldn't do. I allowed and have been allowing to allow myself to get distracted by the equipment possibilities and everything around it. The truth is that equipment t isn't going to make or break me if I show up to MB with a swing I can't trust, or a game that doesn't travel. It's way to early to get wrapped around the axle with those things that are out of my direct control.

Getting curious and even excited about the equipment for this event is natural Kevin. I think we'd revoke your Albatross Membership if you didn't.

But knowing you, I have no doubt you will put in the work and be ready come the last week of July.

Great thoughts so far in here brother!
Your wisdom will resonate with others in helping them past their struggles as well.
I have zero doubt!

Will you be assembling a "required reading" list?
I know in our conversations in the past that you felt a couple books have helped you. Will you be refreshing those thoughts?

Quick update, I found myself with a day today to invest towards preps for the event. Swing felt ok give. The changes I'm trying to make. The thing that frustrates me was I went against what I swore I wouldn't do. I allowed and have been allowing to allow myself to get distracted by the equipment possibilities and everything around it. The truth is that equipment t isn't going to make or break me if I show up to MB with a swing I can't trust, or a game that doesn't travel. It's way to early to get wrapped around the axle with those things that are out of my direct control.

No doubt man, it's easy to get caught up in all the minutia that comes along with a grand event brother, you'll rock this. Bring what ya got dude, you'll be wonderful!

So this is my Legacy!

Great thoughts so far in here brother!
Your wisdom will resonate with others in helping them past their struggles as well.
I have zero doubt!

Will you be assembling a "required reading" list?
I know in our conversations in the past that you felt a couple books have helped you. Will you be refreshing those thoughts?

Yes, I've started to dust off some a couple reads I have sitting around here, and I'll be looking to build on to the collection.

Edit: I'm open for suggestions too.

I've been getting too caught up in the training, trying to somehow force myself to be a better golfer *right now*. I had a lesson last night and talked with my coach about it. He made me feel better--he was saying that he, a PGA pro who knows more than 99.9% of people about swing mechanics and how to fix things, has slumps too and gets too wrapped up in his head. He told me what I already know from teaching motorcycle classes--if you get too wrapped up in the details, get back to basics.

We spent half an hour working on my backswing and keeping my hands forward at contact. It felt good, and I was hitting better again.

Stick with it, and if you get too wrapped up in the details find some way to get back to basics. Spend some time practicing something simple, or just hit your favorite club, or go sink some 3-foot putts. Remember that while golf is hard, golf is also fun. Go have some fun, you'll feel better.

And just remember, Wilson Staff makes clubs that are very similar to your J40 CB's. You'll be just fine.

Yes, I've started to dust off some a couple reads I have sitting around here, and I'll be looking to build on to the collection.

Edit: I'm open for suggestions too.
What have you read and what's out there that might interest you?

I have Bob Rotella "Golf is not a game of perfect" and "The unstoppable golfer" If you'd be interested in reading them I could send them your way.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I am looking forward to following along over the next 4-5 months Kevin.

Do work buddy!!

I have Bob Rotella "Golf is not a game of perfect" and "The unstoppable golfer" If you'd be interested in reading them I could send them your way.
Thanks buddy, I ordered them both from Amazon yesterday. appreciate the offer though.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I am looking forward to following along over the next 4-5 months Kevin.

Do work buddy!!
I'm gunning to make a trip out that way before July...we will get together dude.

I'm gunning to make a trip out that way before July...we will get together dude.
I look forward to it. Your support and insight during my Grandaddy prep were invaluable to me so anyway I can help, please let me know.

Thanks buddy, I ordered them both from Amazon yesterday. appreciate the offer though.
Your gonna enjoy reading both of these books Kevin. There's a good amount of information and wisdom to soak up.

I look forward to your thoughts

I've been trying to figure out what this event means to me. I've spent some time talking it over with my wife, and a couple friends. Bouncing thoughts off Lee proved t really help me really get to the root of what it is I want it to be.

I found a couple quotes on the back of some Rock Tape when I was helping out Lee.
"when it's all over its not who you were it's wether you made a difference"
"a goal is a dream with a timeline"
"the harder you work the harder it is to surrender"

Those are all easy words to say, but to live by them is a challenge, it's a challenge that I have given myself for throughout the process. It's not limited to the team I'm on, it's for everyone involved.

Finally I've spent some time thinking about me as a golfer. Where do I want to be, what are my expectations, and how will I get there. I know I have a short 4 months to get the work in. Avoid burning out, and keep it fun along the way. I play to a 10 handicap, and have been reminded time and time again by my instructor and some of my closest friends that my swing is not a swing of a 10, I should be lower. So as I set a course for July, my goal is to play the very best I can to my potential. I don't have a set number yet, but I do have a number in mind. There is a ton of work to be done, and those days I rest someone else is out there getting better. I may not swing a club everyday, but you can bet I will be working on something everyday. Mentally I will be stronger, my confidence will be greater, and when I put the first peg in the ground I will be focused on the task at hand.

I'm so proud to call you a teammate. We've never met in person, but you have my total respect brother. Can't wait to see you in July.

I've been trying to figure out what this event means to me. I've spent some time talking it over with my wife, and a couple friends. Bouncing thoughts off Lee proved t really help me really get to the root of what it is I want it to be.

I found a couple quotes on the back of some Rock Tape when I was helping out Lee.
"when it's all over its not who you were it's wether you made a difference"
"a goal is a dream with a timeline"
"the harder you work the harder it is to surrender"

Those are all easy words to say, but to live by them is a challenge, it's a challenge that I have given myself for throughout the process. It's not limited to the team I'm on, it's for everyone involved.

Finally I've spent some time thinking about me as a golfer. Where do I want to be, what are my expectations, and how will I get there. I know I have a short 4 months to get the work in. Avoid burning out, and keep it fun along the way. I play to a 10 handicap, and have been reminded time and time again by my instructor and some of my closest friends that my swing is not a swing of a 10, I should be lower. So as I set a course for July, my goal is to play the very best I can to my potential. I don't have a set number yet, but I do have a number in mind. There is a ton of work to be done, and those days I rest someone else is out there getting better. I may not swing a club everyday, but you can bet I will be working on something everyday. Mentally I will be stronger, my confidence will be greater, and when I put the first peg in the ground I will be focused on the task at hand.

A wise man whose name rhymes with Chalk once told me that a HCP is only a number. Work on all aspects of your game and show up playing the best golf you can. I know no one will out work you and I know what to expect out of you every day. It's a privilege to have someone so dedicated as part of my team. Keep up the good work and you will be a beast in July.

Some take aways from my previous lesson. This was an assessment/lesson.

-"Take away: would like to see the club head stay out side my hands" my tendency is to get the clubhead inside to far, which tends to start my in to out swing path which results in 5-7 degree on the swing path.
Drill: Take any club and put the but end into my body gripping the shaft. Get into position and just feel the shoulders making the turn. I assimilate that much to how it feels on my putter stroke. Big muscles making the turn.

- Collapse at the top. Swing is a little long and the collapse is a bend in my left arm. Club head stays in good position is just a little long. We're going to check it out and if it causes a mess we will abort that fix.

- Shoulder turn through impact: my shoulders aren't making a good turn. They turn turn pretty well but "don't make the corner". So we'll be looking at that in the next couple lessons. He would like to see my shoulder turn a little flatter with a cornering release.

- my leg action needs some redirection. He likes what my right knee is doing through the swing, but would like to see me driving that knee a little more target line oriented. Currently I'm driving it directly at the ball. If I can get it towards the target long it will help with the shoulder turn getting "around the corner"

My my swing it a little loose, so we'll be looking to tighten that up a hair.

There were a lot of positive things to take away from the assessment which helps with my overall confidence. hearing people say good things about my swing is something I'm not very good with honestly. Self esteem when it comes to this game is a little weak for some reason.

Good stuff Kevin. I may have missed it. Did you end up working with Jim Estes....or somebody else.

I like those takeaways. Although if you had asked me, I've always thought your swing was very solid and you put a good move on it.

You don't become a 10 HC without an already solid foundation.

The work you're putting in, I have no doubt will get you to your goal.

SaA

Good stuff Kevin. I may have missed it. Did you end up working with Jim Estes....or somebody else.

I like those takeaways. Although if you had asked me, I've always thought your swing was very solid and you put a good move on it.

You don't become a 10 HC without an already solid foundation.

The work you're putting in, I have no doubt will get you to your goal.

SaA
Yes I'm working with Jim. He's a bit pricey, but I like where he's coming from. He also ontroduced me to the biometric side of my golf swing so I could understand tge why my club moves the way it does. Kind of cool.

good info Kevin. you are definitely starting out with a solid base and i am sure the tweaks are only going to be minor as you progress. from someone who battles a long swing its a long process to break that...going through that with my lessons.

looking forward to the takeaways from next lesson.

Both books arrived today. Light reading, both seem like quick reads too.

Subscribed! Looking forward to following along - good luck with everything!

Cant believe I just found this. Subscribed to this. Can't wait to follow along Kevin!

Just catchin' up Kev. It's inspiring reading this dude. You're lighting a fire in me that I haven't felt in a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back