Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

Just trying to wrap my head around it. I personally choked up a bit on the XR as I'm used to a shorter shaft, but that was causing contact towards the heel, not the toe (which I assume is helping the hooking in this case).

very intriguing.
I had pretty similar issues at #TheGrandaddy. Basically it was due to a swing flaw which a heavier shaft and extremely talented fitter was able to hide.

Is there a difference in the length between the two shafts? I can't imagine something being THAT different between two shafts. At least with reference to being on or off line.
Again, I have no idea what the difference is, whether physical or mental, I just know one combo had good results and the other not so good.

I had pretty similar issues at #TheGrandaddy. Basically it was due to a swing flaw which a heavier shaft and extremely talented fitter was able to hide.

Yeah good call on the weight. I can see the drive through the zone being changed a bit when the weight is changed quite a bit.

Numbers from the XR for me today.

97af0b04576c1745c1279a44fa9c7d9e.jpg

Numbers from the XR for me today.

97af0b04576c1745c1279a44fa9c7d9e.jpg

Imagine how much better you would have hit it with a better shaft :alien:

Imagine how much better you would have hit it with a better shaft :alien:

It really is nice to see a club head for everybody. This one spins a tiny bit more for me, although had a few shots in the 2800s, but its really nice to see clubs that offer something totally different and many brands are doing it now.

This one is seriously forgiving across the face too.

It really is nice to see a club head for everybody. This one spins a tiny bit more for me, although had a few shots in the 2800s, but its really nice to see clubs that offer something totally different and many brands are doing it now.

This one is seriously forgiving across the face too.

I was wondering if that spin was a little high for you. Guessing 2400ish is about perfect for you? Are you looking to change shafts or settings to get the spin down?

I was wondering if that spin was a little high for you. Guessing 2400ish is about perfect for you? Are you looking to change shafts or settings to get the spin down?

Im pretty happy with my driver, so not sure I would change to this, but I prefer to be in the 2400-2800 range now that my ball speed is a bit higher. Based on where we live, carry distance is much more of a premium than roll, so I can get away with being a little bit "spinnier" than others.

Im pretty happy with my driver, so not sure I would change to this, but I prefer to be in the 2400-2800 range now that my ball speed is a bit higher. Based on where we live, carry distance is much more of a premium than roll, so I can get away with being a little bit "spinnier" than others.

Good info. I forgot about the lack roll there. That ball speed was pretty good. Hopefully I can get to see you swing one day.

Good info. I forgot about the lack roll there. That ball speed was pretty good. Hopefully I can get to see you swing one day.
Nobody wants to see that :)

Anyone order this with new Diamana S+ shaft or any other of the free upgrade shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted this in #TheKing thread yesterday...

Got to the range today and was able to hit the XR(9*) @10* and standard lie. I probably hit about 35 balls with it. For some reason it seems louder outside than it did in the simulator at Pga Superstore. Lots of folks were looking over....but that was okay because I was hitting some great draws carrying about 235 which is fine because they were range balls that only fly about 90%.... And of course being range balls....they've been hit many many times. My misses were high, long hard draws. I can't really say hooks because they didn't really do what I see as a hook in my head. The misses seemed to really perform in a positive manner compared to what I would have seen last year. The shaft does feel a tad long for me.... So I may need to choke up next time. I think that may help with contact as I was hitting it a tad closer to the heel. I'm going to try to give it another go tomorrow afternoon and actually make adjustments and swing some other things for comparisons and see what happens.

And this today....

Well I was able to get to the range again today and give this thing some more swings. I hit about 15-20 balls with it. Its really a nice club to stand over and look over. Nothing negative visually. Again I was hitting solid draws.... With my misses being pulled draws that still went a long way. I didn't really have many misses in terms of the clubface. I was around the center, and a tad towards the heel as I was yesterday. Flight and distance were good. I really think me and the XR are going to get along great once I have it in my hands.

Posted this in #TheKing thread yesterday...

Got to the range today and was able to hit the XR(9*) @10* and standard lie. I probably hit about 35 balls with it. For some reason it seems louder outside than it did in the simulator at Pga Superstore. Lots of folks were looking over....but that was okay because I was hitting some great draws carrying about 235 which is fine because they were range balls that only fly about 90%.... And of course being range balls....they've been hit many many times. My misses were high, long hard draws. I can't really say hooks because they didn't really do what I see as a hook in my head. The misses seemed to really perform in a positive manner compared to what I would have seen last year. The shaft does feel a tad long for me.... So I may need to choke up next time. I think that may help with contact as I was hitting it a tad closer to the heel. I'm going to try to give it another go tomorrow afternoon and actually make adjustments and swing some other things for comparisons and see what happens.

And this today....

Well I was able to get to the range again today and give this thing some more swings. I hit about 15-20 balls with it. Its really a nice club to stand over and look over. Nothing negative visually. Again I was hitting solid draws.... With my misses being pulled draws that still went a long way. I didn't really have many misses in terms of the clubface. I was around the center, and a tad towards the heel as I was yesterday. Flight and distance were good. I really think me and the XR are going to get along great once I have it in my hands.

I think your comments about volume of contact sound were fair. Especially hitting this alongside Big Bertha's from last year, the sound is notably louder off the XR. Kind of surprised me, to be quite honest.

I think your comments about volume of contact sound were fair. Especially hitting this alongside Big Bertha's from last year, the sound is notably louder off the XR. Kind of surprised me, to be quite honest.
Yeah it just seemed a little louder.... I'd say a touch louder than the G30 as we were also hitting that today. I was surprised though because to me it doesn't feel as if it's exploding off the face, but the ball flight and trajectory say differently. It was enjoyable hitting it again today. I really don't know if it's the best club on the market if you're hitting it on the screws, but I am impressed with how it performs with the off center strikes.

Yeah it just seemed a little louder.... I'd say a touch louder than the G30 as we were also hitting that today. I was surprised though because to me it doesn't feel as if it's exploding off the face, but the ball flight and trajectory say differently. It was enjoyable hitting it again today. I really don't know if it's the best club on the market if you're hitting it on the screws, but I am impressed with how it performs with the off center strikes.

I think with the profile, that's more what should be pursued. This club can still make the ball move, and man, when I get that face closed on center contact I get this incredible mashing sound that's extremely addicting!!!!

What I like about XR is how repeatable it is.

I think with the profile, that's more what should be pursued. This club can still make the ball move, and man, when I get that face closed on center contact I get this incredible mashing sound that's extremely addicting!!!!

What I like about XR is how repeatable it is.
Yeah it was great to have the ball do the same thing over and over. My good hits were all the same and my misses were all the same as well. I like consistent misses because then at least I know what to prepare for just in case.

Just ordered my XR today. 10.5* with Fuji Speeder 665 stiff, -1" to play at 45" with std utx grip. Also just picked up a project X handcrafted 64g 6.0 shaft to test out once the XR arrives.

Just ordered my XR today. 10.5* with Fuji Speeder 665 stiff, -1" to play at 45" with std utx grip. Also just picked up a project X handcrafted 64g 6.0 shaft to test out once the XR arrives.

Did you adjust swing weight when ordered -1 shaft ? Going for a fit probably this week and XR is among those to test. But 46" is too much for me.

Did you adjust swing weight when ordered -1 shaft ? Going for a fit probably this week and XR is among those to test. But 46" is too much for me.

No. Didn't even give it a thought just because I never worry about it. For my game, my scores tend to go north if I get too technical.

I am fortunate enough to be participating in 2015 #TheKing and Callaway and THP have sent each participant an XR driver. I received a 9° head with project x LZ stiff shaft (6.0).

In hand photos:

bdddc2dcbd4e515f268a8b66b3f16ea9.jpg
f02c35618ff76df513286edc334f6860.jpg
6be7c86a357b77a8cd3b0d90000093ef.jpg

I will be gaming and reviewing this driver up until, during and after the event.

Initial thoughts is that the shaft is long. Upon checking it plays at 46". Stock swing weight is d5 so if some people wanted to chop off half an inch it should still play at about d2 which is not too bad at all. I'll be leaving it at stock length and be choking down about half inch. Tomorrow will have for at range session and on course testing.

Thank you again THP and CALLAWAY GOLF!

I am fortunate enough to be participating in 2015 #TheKing and Callaway and THP have sent each participant an XR driver. I received a 9° head with project x LZ stiff shaft (6.0).

In hand photos:

I will be gaming and reviewing this driver up until, during and after the event.

Initial thoughts is that the shaft is long. Upon checking it plays at 46". Stock swing weight is d5 so if some people wanted to chop off half an inch it should still play at about d2 which is not too bad at all. I'll be leaving it at stock length and be choking down about half inch. Tomorrow will have for at range session and on course testing.

Well that just made me wanna leave work right now!!!!

In hand photos:

Such a dang good looking club, and head cover too. Can't wait to get this guy outside and get used to wedges into greens.

Can't wait for my 10.5 to get here so I can update this thread.

I love the color scheme on the XR. I also really like the head cover, even though I usually don't like this style. Can't wait to see the reviews rolling in from #theking players.

Back