Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a look at the new Callaway XR Driver.

Features
Speed From Speed Step Crown
To reduce drag and maximize speed through the swing, we’ve put in a Speed Step Crown and combined it with an optimized aerodynamic head shape. Everything about this driver is optimized for aero efficiency, which is critical to add speed with less drag.

Speed From R•MOTO Face Technology
This is how we increase ball speeds across the face - by reducing 10% of face weight to make it thinner. R•MOTO leads to more energy efficient energy transfer all over the face, allows us to put the CG 17% lower where most golfers want it, and delivers higher MOI.

Speed From Maximum Shaft Load
The shaft is a key component to speed, that’s why XR comes stock with the new Project X LZ. It produces maximum shaft load during the downswing loading zone for greater energy transfer to the ball.

OptiFit Adjustability
Choose from 8 different loft and lie configurations to find the perfect launch for your ball flight.

xr-driver-address-2015-L.jpg

xr-driver-back-2015-L.jpg

xr-driver-sole-b-2015-L.jpg

Last edited:
PX LZ shaft stock is just insane to consider.

Good looking head to, like how the alignment is so subtle.

I've been able to hit this one outdoors and my first impression was "hot". Just a hot face and that's not something I say often at all.

I want to hit these drivers badly. Particularly the pro version. Love the look even with the speed step thingamajig.

• Admin
Im actually hitting this stock shaft in my Big Bertha 815 and love it.

Im actually hitting this stock shaft in my Big Bertha 815 and love it.

I don't think I've ever had a go with this shaft. But we tend to have similar taste in drivers so I'm certainly curious.

Man Callaway is delivering the goods in all areas this morning, I really like it.

Love the look of the crown.

Do we know if these are the retail LZ Handcrafted shafts or are they made for Cally shafts?

• Admin
Love the look of the crown.

Do we know if these are the retail LZ Handcrafted shafts or are they made for Cally shafts?

They are LZ shafts, but they are not handcrafted. That does not mean the specs have changed however.

I'm sure this driver absolutely pounds the ball. Love the flat black color but no as keen on the visible Speed Step Crown. That would probably quickly be forgotten about though after a few bombs.

Love the look of the crown! It simple and sleek! I'd love to hit just to see how hot the face of this driver is.

I do like the look of this, and having never hit an LZ shaft I am keen to give it a go

I'm sure this driver absolutely pounds the ball. Love the flat black color but no as keen on the visible Speed Step Crown. That would probably quickly be forgotten about though after a few bombs.

I am going to hazard a guess and say that the Speed Step Crown isn't going to be as obvious when you are looking down at it, I get the impression it is just going to look like some detailing on the crown??? Could be wrong but that is the impression I get from the pics

Good looking driver. I can't wait to hit it.

I like the looks! As a shorter hitter off the tee, I'm always interested in finding a few more yards.

Haven't been a fan of Callaway drivers in the past but the 815 and these do have my attention, Especially with the PX L shaft...I really want to try that shaft

The crown certainly looks different from previous Callaway offerings. It will be interesting to see it in person and see if it delivers (for me) the extra yards. I can always use them.

Sounds/looks like another quality driver from Callaway.

This is one that I might have balked at the crown a couple of years back. Now, after getting used to seeing turbulators and speed slots on crowns, I could deal with this if the tech works. The Project X LZ seems to be a really good shaft line, so that is another plus.

I look forward to seeing the price points and trying these out.

The matte black color looks amazing on this driver and even with that stock shaft its pretty awesome. It felt really light in my hands as well. The crown doesn't bother me at all, in fact I really like it.

Looks like a solid offering from Callaway. Love the Project X LZ shaft! For the right golfers, I'm sure this is going to be long.

I'll be really curious to see the numbers head to head between this and the 815 Alpha. The Alpha is so good it doesn't leave a lot of room for other offerings, but I suppose this one could be meant to hit a lower price point.
Regardless, there's a ton of interesting tech in here.

dddfa01b7730b04a63de4be40a294059.jpg

032eefaa89eb6e88a2a349f75051f5b9.jpg

956a86e8f932ec69dafd528b9e8ce185.jpg

Driver I'm playing now has an unattractive crown similar to this one, so I can handle that. On the tech side, I have doubts about the effectiveness of things like turbulators, and speed steps or whatever else they are called.

Like the sounds of the shaft. It seems to be made for me and I'm going to guess this is very kind for off-center shots. I hope it's got a little X-Hot in it when it comes to sound at impact. I'd say it's a must try for my 2015 driver search.

Tough to beat this stock shaft that's for sure.
And I'll gladly take some help on off center hits as Hawk mentioned. Definitely want to try it out and see if it can dethrone the other options in current have.

Just gorgeous! I love the head/shaft muted black. This is in my cross-hairs to demo very soon. So much awesomeness from Callaway!

Are the speed steps raised up off the top o the crown? I'm viewing on my phone & can't really tell from the pic.

Back