New putter for Zach Johnson

Maybe it's because he's not at my disposal, but considering what he and P'OB put together before, why is this not solution #1?

It could be any number of things. I would think it would be a rush to take the results of a single tournament too seriously. Pat's willingness to instantly start questioning ZJ in such a frank and public manner indicates to me that their relationship must not be so great.

Maybe it's because he's not at my disposal, but considering what he and P'OB put together before, why is this not solution #1?

You'd think that right?

It could be any number of things. I would think it would be a rush to take the results of a single tournament too seriously. Pat's willingness to instantly start questioning ZJ in such a frank and public manner indicates to me that their relationship must not be so great.
Agreed. Obviously some bad blood there.

He said he saw it first in Hawaii. Unless I'm mistaken, they weren't playing in Hawaii this past week. "instantly" is instantly thrown out the door.

I'm just now seeing this and was hoping the new putter was going to be the Giant FGP. I'm a little disappointed as well.

He was on my fantasy team last week and was in the top 10 there thru Saturday morning I think. Maybe he would have stayed there with his SeeMore...

I'm just now seeing this and was hoping the new putter was going to be the Giant FGP. I'm a little disappointed as well.

He was on my fantasy team last week and was in the top 10 there thru Saturday morning I think. Maybe he would have stayed there with his SeeMore...

With the way he putted this weekend, he may want to! #KneeJerk

The fact he took to twitter to question Zach's game has to tell us something about their relationship.

The fact he took to twitter to question Zach's game has to tell us something about their relationship.

A lot of assumptions here... But I don't really know why that would matter.

Zach putted poorly this week, and a former teacher made note of what he saw. Strained relationship or not, it's pretty obvious P'OB is right.

Zach putted poorly this week, and a former teacher made note of what he saw. Strained relationship or not, it's pretty obvious P'OB is right.

There are assumptions. Though, no to be defensive here, but no different than that the switch was initiated by money earlier in the thread.

I don't disagree that he is right. Zach was alway talked about as one of the best putters, but lately, clearly the stats say something different. Just think that if their relationship was on better terms, he would have picked a different medium, possibly one not public, when trying to point it out to Zach.

Hrmmmmm

it's going to be funny how many people will pay attention to that strokes gained stat now. What was it I saw earlier in this thread, thru last week he was like 150 on tour in that department. So clearly what he was using wasn't exactly working either.

It wasn't like he was asked a question in an interview, he just straight up posted his thoughts on twitter, which he's free to do. However, it shows a lack of respect in my opinion.

it's going to be funny how many people will pay attention to that strokes gained stat now. What was it I saw earlier in this thread, thru last week he was like 150 on tour in that department. So clearly what he was using wasn't exactly working either.

So true, although it's interesting to hear the perspective of a former teacher going straight to the stroke, rather than what many have done (going straight to the putter).

I think the stats and info we have show it is more of a technique issue than what putter he is using.

It wasn't like he was asked a question in an interview, he just straight up posted his thoughts on twitter, which he's free to do. However, it shows a lack of respect in my opinion.

Best to just not ever go on twitter then, people do that all the time on social media.

I think the stats and info we have show it is more of a technique issue than what putter he is using.
Best post in the thread IMO. How many times have we talked on here that SPi works with any putter, and how many of us have seen it in our own games.

This is actually not the case.

PO'B mentioned that he took down the posts too for improper tone...guess he was getting hit up on the interwebz for the comments.

Whatever ZJs reasoning for switching is/was its not working. i would guess money had a role in the move and maybe whoever is current instructor is had an influence as well to go along with the change in style.

sucks to see him struggle like this especially a couple weeks before the masters.

Best to just not ever go on twitter then, people do that all the time on social media.

And people get themselves into trouble all the time on social media.

To each their own. I thought it was disrespectful to Zach for him to post what he did. I'm not trying to tell others what they should say/do/think/etc., just sharing my opinion.

This is actually not the case.

Hmmm. Certainly not how I would have went about it then, pretty unprofessional IMO, but to each their own.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

History - some time after his Masters win, Zach disappeared from leader boards -- poor putting. Turns out it was his technique - he had his shaft leaning back even more, and he's always had a grip that Pat stated was unusual, but it worked when ZJ was hot so he did not change it. I took lessons from Pat for a few years, and what he teaches is sound - level shoulders, thumbs are almost even, left hand is on grip, right hand has no real connection with grip (other than lower finger/thumb) - it is over left hand - eliminates tendency to yip/nerves, wide, natural arc that is shoulder driven with shaft straight up - no lean, no press. I've kept the basic POB principles for 6 years and have gone to a SAM Lab with my new full swing instructor, and all we've done is widen my stance to get the correct loft on the ball.

Perhaps ZJ just needs a POB adjustment - I don't see anything wrong with POB's observations - ZJ may learn from them. Hope he and POB get together and make the adjustments needed so ZJ is more consistent - hot, without the hot streaks.

As to the putter, I think he ought to see Dave Edel, get fit, then pick a SeeMore that fits what Edel finds for his aim, shaft for feel, weight for consistency, headweight and counterbalancing, etc.

Last edited:
The SeeMore was in the bag at Augusta today. Not surprised.

Back