Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

2 degrees flat for us short people :)
Same here, I have this strange feeling after next weekend I will be ordering a set of xr pros. I am really thinking about c taper light shafts.

I had been gaming Miura baby blades prior to putting these in the bag. Definitely not the same feel but it's incredibly hard to give up the distance

Not the same feel of my Wison Staff FG V2s but the results are so good with the XRP's that I'm not looking back. Its real fun to hit thin iron approach shots and still make birdie.

Same here, I have this strange feeling after next weekend I will be ordering a set of xr pros. I am really thinking about c taper light shafts.
A high launch shafts may be too much for you IMO. tour v 110 in mine and it launches very high

A high launch shafts may be too much for you IMO. tour v 110 in mine and it launches very high
I have tour v 110 in my apex. I do like them but wanting to try something different. Worse case in the future I could always pull the kbs v out of my apex and put in xrp

I have tour v 110 in my apex. I do like them but wanting to try something different. Worse case in the future I could always pull the kbs v out of my apex and put in xrp
From what I understand the xr pro are 370 tip. Apex are 355

Got ya. I also am thinking of kbs tour s+
Hit some with kbs tour 130 before buying. Tour v gave me better numbers. I'll have my set of xr pros in TX so you are welcome to hit them

Hit some with kbs tour 130 before buying. Tour v gave me better numbers. I'll have my set of xr pros in TX so you are welcome to hit them
Can't wait to take a few cuts with them

Yep, I had to shim my CTL's in my apex
Oh man it must have been the epoxy with beads I always use... just used a shot load and never used a shim lmao

Really? I've reshafted standard apex with 355 shafts many times...

Yeah. Regular Apex irons were .370. Like Jman, had to shim and bead mine when I put the CTLs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a mix, I believe.. Depends on what shafts you had stock. AMart's are .355 because he had Project X steel in them.

2013 Apex Irons XP 95 Steel True Temper R,S 94 .355" .605" TT Dynamic Gold XP 95 Taper Tip 3B3H / 4B3H
2013 Apex Irons Recoil 660 Graphite UST A, R 68 .370" .600" UST Recoil 660 2B2M / 3B2M \
2013 Apex Irons Recoil 680 Graphite UST S 84 .370" .600" UST Recoil 680 4B2M

It's a mix, I believe.. Depends on what shafts you had stock. AMart's are .355 because he had Project X steel in them.

2013 Apex Irons XP 95 Steel True Temper R,S 94 .355" .605" TT Dynamic Gold XP 95 Taper Tip 3B3H / 4B3H
2013 Apex Irons Recoil 660 Graphite UST A, R 68 .370" .600" UST Recoil 660 2B2M / 3B2M \
That explains a lot!

Didn't have my best stuff but hit a really nice tee shot today with my XRP 7i. 160 into the wind and hit it to 5 feet. Hit a few other approaches today with the wind that flew well past my target. Loving the club distance I'm seeing.

It's also a big reason why AMart went XR Pro - The Programs he was determined to game are .370 and they wouldn't fit into his Apex without shaving them.
Hm so mine have tour v 110g stock so it's gotta be 355. Which is good for me :)

I've gamed these irons for about a week now. I got into a bit of a casting issue today which killed a lot of the distance related momentum I was/will bring to the review, but after seeing some video and drawing direct comparisons to other irons/profiles I think it makes perfect sense.

I'll leave a lot of my round experiences out, because I think what I experienced on the range holds an awful lot more water. What I essentially tried to do, was hit a baseline with a player iron about 20 times - Take my best shots (we'll call it 6 for 30%) and try to hit the XR Pros to the same number.

Instead of defining distance and carry quality, I realized that what I was actually confirming, was the consistency as it relates to flight and distance of the XR Pro profile. Shot after shot I was seeing the same result, and considering 80% of my range time was with a swing flaw, says a lot about the ability of the XR Pro to hit a number despite mediocre contact. It it's needed to be confirmed, I was aiming at a 170 yard flag and was landing it around or past with the XR Pro 7 iron. Based on the experiences earlier in the week, that 7 iron is a bit more likely to travel around 180 yards with good swing mechanics in place.

I've been throwing around the idea of sound over the last week, and hitting them up against a more typical player iron I do think they offer a bit less lively of a sound. It's a bit less robust than what I am used to hearing, and has a bit of a 'thwack' to it, but it's pleasing on great strikes and audibly different on poor strikes. I think that's the most important part about sound, being able to discern different strike qualities, and the XR Pros offered exactly that.

From what I understand the xr pro are 370 tip. Apex are 355
Apex is .370. But in any case, that's why god invented shims.

Apex is .370. But in any case, that's why god invented shims.

that's not accurate.

This comes directly from GolfWorks.

Back