Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

IMO, the cup face tech in these outpaces EVERYTHING in the RSi2's. I saw better ball-speeds, less drop-offs, and more launch out of these by a decent margin.
I spent considerable time testing the RSi 1/2 and XR/XRP and saw similar results. I wanted the RSi to work (before hitting the XR) because the program was offered but the numbers told the story.

IMO, the cup face tech in these outpaces EVERYTHING in the RSi2's. I saw better ball-speeds, less drop-offs, and more launch out of these by a decent margin.

Ditto for me. I did side-by-side comparisons twice. I really like the looks of the RSi2s and I loved the feel too. But performance-wise for me--because everyone is different, of course--it wasn't even a close call. The XR Pros won by a landslide.

That honestly doesn't surprise me. Again, I've never hit them back to back on a trackman or anything to compare hard numbers, both just seemed very very similar to me from the naked eye and I did end up with similar distances. But something like that I wouldn't be shocked by. The XR pros are fantastic irons.

WOW! Ok great to hear - I really liked the feel of the Rsi2s VS. the Regular Xrs - don't really remember how the XR Pros felt....but will be trying all of these out and going by what I am comfortable with and produce the best #s for me..

WOW! Ok great to hear - I really liked the feel of the Rsi2s VS. the Regular Xrs - don't really remember how the XR Pros felt....but will be trying all of these out and going by what I am comfortable with and produce the best #s for me..

Yea, to be completely honest...if the XR Pro's were available when global golf was running their trade in deal, I probably would have gotten them instead. I'm not disappointed in the RSi2's at all, and I very much enjoy the results I'm seeing on course, but the slightly lower price for the same offering probably would have swayed me in favor of the XR Pros. That and when i tested them in store I hit probably 7/8 out of 10 on the "green" and 2 to within 2 feet on the simulator. I walked away pretty impressed

Yea, to be completely honest...if the XR Pro's were available when global golf was running their trade in deal, I probably would have gotten them instead. I'm not disappointed in the RSi2's at all, and I very much enjoy the results I'm seeing on course, but the slightly lower price for the same offering probably would have swayed me in favor of the XR Pros. That and when i tested them in store I hit probably 7/8 out of 10 on the "green" and 2 to within 2 feet on the simulator. I walked away pretty impressed

I am also very intrigued by the RSi 2s because of the forged "higher" irons - I tend to hit more 7-PW, GW, SW irons into greens than 4-6 unless I want to tackle a par 5 in 2....

And with the higher irons I definitely want more feedback....

I am also very intrigued by the RSi 2s because of the forged "higher" irons - I tend to hit more 7-PW, GW, SW irons into greens than 4-6 unless I want to tackle a par 5 in 2....

Why do you feel you won't get feedback from a cast iron? It is all about the materials used, not the process used to make them.

if you are talking about the most recent trade in deal(150%), they where offered, that is exactly how i got mine for about 100.00 after trading in what was a total of about 25 clubs, that included two iron sets.

Why do you feel you won't get feedback from a cast iron? It is all about the materials used, not the process used to make them.
Ball flight is the only feedback I really need

For me personally I can't tell the difference in the forged face vs. non on the RSi2's. The biggest difference in the 8-PW is that it doesn't have the speed slot on the bottom. The XR Pro's will probably have a more consistent feel throughout the set because of having the same make-up throughout. I didn't have a problem at all with the feedback or feel of the XR Pros FWIW

if you are talking about the most recent trade in deal(150%), they where offered, that is exactly how i got mine for about 100.00 after trading in what was a total of about 25 clubs, that included two iron sets.

I did it back in January. They didn't have the XR Pros yet

Not saying the XR pros wouldn't provide me with feedback - I am going to keep my eyes open and definitely try both - and agreed it is based off the materials used - when I swung the Apex irons, The XRs, and Rsi2s the "softer" feel of the Apexs and Rsi2s really stood out to me....compared to the harder "click" of the XRs....

I will also add I swung the XR Pros but do not remember the results / feel of them.

For me personally I can't tell the difference in the forged face vs. non on the RSi2's. The biggest difference in the 8-PW is that it doesn't have the speed slot on the bottom. The XR Pro's will probably have a more consistent feel throughout the set because of having the same make-up throughout. I didn't have a problem at all with the feedback or feel of the XR Pros FWIW

Something else I am contemplating as well when I go for my fitting.....

Have you tried the Srixon 545's? I understand they add distance and are a forged iron.

The XR pro, RSi 2 and z745 are all great clubs. I havent hit the 545 but they cant be too much different than 745. I have ap2 714 and realize they might spin a little too much for me so im trying a set of 745 now. Saw some slight improvement but nothing special yet. Have only hit xr pro and rsi 2 inside at the store but prefer the look of the rsi2 personally

The XR pro, RSi 2 and z745 are all great clubs. I havent hit the 545 but they cant be too much different than 745. I have ap2 714 and realize they might spin a little too much for me so im trying a set of 745 now. Saw some slight improvement but nothing special yet. Have only hit xr pro and rsi 2 inside at the store but prefer the look of the rsi2 personally

There is a bit more forgiveness in the Z545 vs. the Z745, but that is just my opinion. I have the Z545 and XR pros now as my main to sets. They will get a lot of play next weekend when i am down in Charleston.

So after a full range session I am pretty shocked at the distances I am seeing. I know everyone talked about how long they are, but when you hit them yourself and see it is something different. Man these things are crazy long. Probably 1.5 clubs longer for me than the VPCs and a half club longer than apex.

I think the Tour V 110s are a good match for this set. Time will tell if this was just a honeymoon range session, but I enjoyed my time with these yesterday.

So after a full range session I am pretty shocked at the distances I am seeing. I know everyone talked about how long they are, but when you hit them yourself and see it is something different. Man these things are crazy long. Probably 1.5 clubs longer for me than the VPCs and a half club longer than apex.

I think the Tour V 110s are a good match for this set. Time will tell if this was just a honeymoon range session, but I enjoyed my time with these yesterday.
It's not just the length. I love how the ball just seems to climb then fall out of the sky. Gives me a ton of confidence to lay up off the tee and not be afraid of holding greens with mid irons.

I hit the Tour Vs much too high and got some ballining. I am having a s300s inatalled.

Last edited:
Well...I didn't think anything would pull the Hogan Apex Edge Pros out of my bag, but the XR Pros have done it! It is easily a club longer for me. I hit my Hogan 7 iron right around 155-165. The XR Pro had a few in that range, but once I warmed up, most were in the 170+ range with a couple that eeked out to 180. When I caught it flush, the ball seemed to absolutely explode off of the face. Bad swings weren't punished too severely. Iron play has always been my favorite part of golf and I am more excited than ever for this season!

So.....I hit these yesterday against my MP15s, the RSi 2 and Vapor Pro Combos and OMG! These were definitely a club longer than both. I saw insane numbers with the 7i.....ponder mode engaged...

So.....I hit these yesterday against my MP15s, the RSi 2 and Vapor Pro Combos and OMG! These were definitely a club longer than both. I saw insane numbers with the 7i.....ponder mode engaged...
And now my favorite part...

Told ya!

Hahahaha

Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

And now my favorite part...

Told ya!

Hahahaha

If my ponders have taught me anything, it's not to indulge.,...but I'm a slow learner

Edit: and for the record, I rarely doubt anything you rave about because you're often right and our tastes are similar. But for the sake of not giving Fupresti the satisfaction of turning me on to another club he's recommended, I'm going to pass on buying these.....for now :act-up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got looking at these in the store the other day. Price in the store was $899 cdn.....

Then I looked at the apex on the rack right next to them. $1199....... huh?

Is this years stuff cheaper than the Apex anywhere else?

I got looking at these in the store the other day. Price in the store was $899 cdn.....

Then I looked at the apex on the rack right next to them. $1199....... huh?

Is this years stuff cheaper than the Apex anywhere else?

Apex is still a current model. Different line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have hit these a ton at PGA SS and really want a set. They seem to be a club longer than my 4 year old VRS Forged but I hit my current set well. They are definitely getting beat up from our lovely desert golf so I really want something new soon. Can anyone compare the VRS Forged to the XR Pros and tell me how they compare?

Back