The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how you can get away from some routines that you know are essential to consistent play. I have had less time to work on the game the last two months, but, haven't noticed any adverse effects to ball striking. What I did notice, however, was a deterioration of the short game, especially putting. James, is right on in his advice to force yourself to put in the time on the short game EVERY DAY, or at least every day that you go to the course. I'm back to doing that, Hopefully, I can get back my strong short game. To me, it's essential.

Something short game EVERY DAY from now till December. I mean that. Feel free to shoot me some putting video, I'm happy to help, and #SPi isn't just for SeeMore putters, its all of those things you are talking about.
I'll see what I can get filmed. Which angle or angles are the best? I've watched several spi videos on their website and working on adding some of those things to my setup.

This will be the summer of the short game, and I will be ready to break hearts in December.

I'll see what I can get filmed. Which angle or angles are the best? I've watched several spi videos on their website and working on adding some of those things to my setup.

This will be the summer of the short game, and I will be ready to break hearts in December.

Face on, and down the line.

the weather is turning nasty this week and looks like the courses will be washed out & playing this weekend looks daunting at best.... I'm going to buy a new putting matt and foam balls to practice chipping inside.

Found my long, lost swing tempo tonight. I've really been squeezing the club too tightly lately so I wanted to focus on swinging smooth and easy and really accomplished that goal tonight. I beat a huge pile of golf balls in the process, but it was worth the extra aches Im getting from it. I started getting the feel for clearing my left hip and staying behind the ball at impact with the driver. Hopefully this work gets me out of the short little funk Ive been dealing with.

More putting again tonight. I casually put about an hour into it every night while watching tv. Have the feel down and lagging putts is feeling really good right now, just need to make sure I'm engraining the right take away and follow through to make sure I'm sticking on my line. Honestly, doing that while watching tv seems to be working. I feel like it's just making it second nature which takes a lot of the doubt while putting on course. Only thing I feel like I need to worry about is reading the green correctly, which I've always felt like I've been pretty good at.

Spent a large bucket on the range tonight after working for a few hours. One of the best ball striking days I've had in a long time. I spent a lot of time with the 7 iron and I was just ripping it. I've been struggling a little bit as of late, but tonight was so refreshing. Only hit the driver 3 times, because I'm just hammering it long and straight, but I've been struggling with iron play, but tonight everything was effortless for me. Motivating and refreshing!

Enjoyed a one hour lesson today.
First 30 min - 15 yd chip/pitch shots.
Second 30 min - drove around the course, hit a number of wedges and 7 irons to different greens.
I learned that my alignment is all sorts of screwed up! Got that straightened out, hit some solid irons, 3/5 within 25 feet of the pin from 150 yds.
I am heading to the range tomorrow for a nice relaxing day of practice.

Spent a large bucket on the range tonight after working for a few hours. One of the best ball striking days I've had in a long time. I spent a lot of time with the 7 iron and I was just ripping it. I've been struggling a little bit as of late, but tonight was so refreshing. Only hit the driver 3 times, because I'm just hammering it long and straight, but I've been struggling with iron play, but tonight everything was effortless for me. Motivating and refreshing!

you have been hitting the driver the best i have seen you hit it as of late!

Have had some much fun in the past 2+ weeks working hard on short game and getting off the tee. The tee game change has been really eye opening. I'm back to where I was 4 years ago when I could drive the ball a good distance and accurately. Really been working on hitting up on the ball instead of down. Been teeing it high with no worries of going under it, which I used to when I'd hit down on it. Right off the bat you can see the difference in ball flight. My eye isn't trained, so I can't tell you how much less spin the ball is getting. But I can tell you that it's carrying out to the apex and gently falling instead of just dropping to the ground. The ball definitely has more power behind it and is a stronger ball flight. It's been nice to be able to get off the tee again.

So have some range time scheduled for the week. Will do more work with the driver and wedges. Also going to continue working on the irons. I had an issue where I was turning that toe over too quickly causing a big hook. Been making strides to fix that. Also think I am going to work the 588 RTX 2.0 CB 50 in to the bag and see how it compares.

Ordered that camera holster which should be delivered today so looking forward to trying that out with V1.

Where's a damn time machine when you need it.

Played a practice round last night and a few things are abundantly clear.
1) I've turned a corner with my tee game and am hitting some long drives, straight too.
2) My short game is good, but I want it to be even better yet.
3) My iron play is spotty at best right now and a few ugly misses are cropping up here and there. I need to work on my iron play without stalling the progress with my Driver/5 wood.

Good first lesson tonight with a new guy. Took a few swings and looked at video. What he said made perfect sense then took a few more swings trying to put it into practice. Will take some time but hit a few shots more solidly than I have in months. Can't wait to practice again

Just back from the range and probably had the most surreal moment I've ever had where everything just clicked. I took advantage and even pulled the ol 5 wood off the deck and hit shots I've never hit before. I'm afraid to go to bed tonight and have it all wash away...

Did spend the second bucket on 80-90 yard shots after talking about #9 today at caledonia... That is definitely a shot I need more work on. My SW is 100 yard club and I tend to occasionally shank when I try to take anything off.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Great session tonight, worked on my middle to longer club excluding the driver. Went smooth and pleased with the outcome. My game has come a long way happy with the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out to the range for the 2nd time this year.

A bit of short game, a bit of bunker work, and a medium bucket.

Short Game results:
20150512_165944_zpszorgdkyv.jpg

Bunker results after filling the bunker with random lies (some great, some terrible.... the ones way off the back of the green):
20150512_170921_zpsqdiwarlb.jpg

Spent the morning at the range.
Bunker shots, short chips, then worked thru some clubs - 62*, PW, 8i, 7i, Driver, 6i, back to the driver, ended with 3w.
The wind was strong, so not sure what ball flight actually resulted in. Concentrated on alignment primarily, as well as bringing the driver back along the target line. Broke more tees today than I broke all of last year.

Spent a LOT of time at the range yesterday

Focused on two things:

1. Not swinging so far past parallel. It is almost sickening how long my swing has gotten. When everything works the ball goes very far, otherwise it is leading to some big time inconsistencies.

2. Getting the lower body more involved in the down swing. Really turning that front side out of the way.

I started to get in a nice rhythym with my 5-iron. Hit the green on the range lasered at 205 4 times in a row with the 5 iron. This swing seems much more effortless and easier to control not getting my backswing as long, but my miss is now getting out in front it feels like and hooking the ball a loong way.

All in all, it is a work in progress. Rome wasn't built in a day, and I know it is going to take tons of reps, but I was encouraged by the contact I was making last night.

Randomly started feeling uncomfortable over the #9 yesterday while practicing putting. Still put a really good roll on the ball almost always on my line, but just felt weird. Felt better with the #5, but that one is apparently out of the question for LIITA since it was vetoed so I can't use that right now haha. #2 felt good over the ball but wasn't staying on line as well. Interesting predicament.

Little range session on lunch today before the trip to MSP this weekend. Hope to get at least one more in.

I'm pretty bummed about where my swing is now compared to where it was just a month or so ago. Came out hot feeling better than all last year and it showed in my first 9 hole round. Since then it's faded fast. Swing feels pretty uncomfortable and it shows. Realizing I really need to focus on having as little movement as possible of my right knee in the back swing, and really focus on not over swinging.

Little bit of practice with some impact tape in a 6i

d34197d4cd01077a943787ff49fc09b4.jpg

Results were good...doing the bull dance. feeling the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still working on my position at the top of my backswing. Keeping a flat left wrist is helping my contact a lot with my irons. I'm not sure what the technical name for it is, but I'm also working on keeping the club flatter in the backswing so that I'm not swinging so vertical which seems to do 2 things: I'm not hitting the ball fat as much and when I do, it's not as severe and I'm seeing quite a bit more distance. When I started working on this, my 6 iron was my 150 yard club. Today I went long from 150 with an 8 iron a couple times. Now I'm working on relearning my distances and hitting more GIRs.

Still working on my position at the top of my backswing. Keeping a flat left wrist is helping my contact a lot with my irons. I'm not sure what the technical name for it is, but I'm also working on keeping the club flatter in the backswing so that I'm not swinging so vertical which seems to do 2 things: I'm not hitting the ball fat as much and when I do, it's not as severe and I'm seeing quite a bit more distance. When I started working on this, my 6 iron was my 150 yard club. Today I went long from 150 with an 8 iron a couple times. Now I'm working on relearning my distances and hitting more GIRs.
I have swung with a cupped left wrist for so long I have to consciously think about keeping it flat which definitely helps but sometimes having to think about it makes me tense up and cause other problems.

I have swung with a cupped left wrist for so long I have to consciously think about keeping it flat which definitely helps but sometimes having to think about it makes me tense up and cause other problems.

That's what I'm working on now, just getting reps in to make it normal to where I don't have to think about it at all and it becomes my normal swing. It really feels weird after cupping for so long, it feels like I'm swinging so far around my body, but the video shows otherwise. It's getting easier, but I'm still in the thinking mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back