Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

Question for all of the participants. How much has fitness and diet been a part of your overall preparation? I know it was talked about early on and some were really diving right in to making it a big part of their goals. How many have stayed the course and followed through on their fitness and diet goals and how many let it go by the way side?

My wife and I started nutrisystem together back in late March, which I have done previously with good success. So far down 15lbs, looking at another 20-30 before Legacy. I find nutrisystem works especially well for me and keeps me from straying because I don't want to waste that money i'm spending on it :)

Admittedly I'm not hitting the gym as much as I was in Feb/March, primarily due to the time i was spending there i've been using for the range/course, but that's really no excuse. I actually made a mental commitment to start back again regularly this weekend, and hit it 3/week in the morning before everyone wakes up, so i'm not gone from the family anymore than I already am from the course and driving range.

Other than being on vacation last week, diet has been super consistent. Fitness needs more work--when I started the diet I was at a *huge* calorie deficit from before the diet, which made trying to up my exercise miserable. My body has adjusted to the lower calorie intake though and it's time to get serious about cardio.

Have you hit your weight numbers you were trying to? Or getting close?

As I told my guys from the beginning, I wouldnt ask them to do anything I wouldnt do so I have made a conscious effort to get back into the swing of things. I hop/flop/fall out of bed at 5:50am get on the bike and ride for 4-6 miles. Alternating days I am doing DDP yoga as well. Going for a walk at night with my wife and daughter as well. I really really hope that people arent taking the weather and humidity lightly because it is absolutely no joke.

That is great news Dev. Im following along with you and told you I have a goal for #TheGrandaddy and will reach it no questions asked.

That is great news Dev. Im following along with you and told you I have a goal for #TheGrandaddy and will reach it no questions asked.
I have lost about 10 lbs however I haven't been committed like I should . I would like to drop another 15 and get down to the weight I was last spring. Need to kick it into gear and stop eating the burgers and fries and soda/beer.

To be honest fitness and diet have been the least of my worries, I like to think I'm in decent shape. The one thing I have been trying to do is cut out pop and replace it with water. Then increasing the amount of water I'm drinking to prepare myself for having to drink more than normal.

That has definitely helped. I rarely drink soda now. Maybe once every couple weeks. When I do, it's usually Coke Zero. I drink water like crazy.

Question for all of the participants. How much has fitness and diet been a part of your overall preparation? I know it was talked about early on and some were really diving right in to making it a big part of their goals. How many have stayed the course and followed through on their fitness and diet goals and how many let it go by the way side?
Ill admit, I started out good and it slowly went away. I need to and will get back on that part of my prep.

Its interesting to me that so many are great or saying they are great about sticking to practice of the game, but not the diet. I never really thought one was harder than the other personally, but that is obviously different for every person. Although it is a lot harder to hide the failing to reach goals on the diet when you show up. Everybody can have the bad round of golf. Watch #TheKing prevideo with Harry and Hashtag talking about the excuses, they are right there for everybody. :D

Its interesting to me that so many are great or saying they are great about sticking to practice of the game, but not the diet. I never really thought one was harder than the other personally, but that is obviously different for every person. Although it is a lot harder to hide the failing to reach goals on the diet when you show up. Everybody can have the bad round of golf. Watch #TheKing prevideo with Harry and Hashtag talking about the excuses, they are right there for everybody. :D

Had I not gotten in shape (for me) last year and stayed hydrated, I never in a million years would have made it through even 18 holes in that heat and humidity. People always take it lightly but when you walk out the door and it takes your breath away because you are breathing basically soupy air you realize whats going on.

Had I not gotten in shape (for me) last year and stayed hydrated, I never in a million years would have made it through even 18 holes in that heat and humidity. People always take it lightly but when you walk out the door and it takes your breath away because you are breathing basically soupy air you realize whats going on.

Part of the thing that I took for granted in the prep the first time I was in a multiround match play THP Event was how exhausted you would be from the get go.
Late nights.
Long rounds (yes slow play exists).
Mentally draining.
The Highs & Lows of Match Play
Quick Turnaround between rounds.

I learned that for the second time and came far better prepared for a match play event with multiple rounds.

Part of the thing that I took for granted in the prep the first time I was in a multiround match play THP Event was how exhausted you would be from the get go.
Late nights.
Mentally draining.

I learned that for the second time and came far better prepared for a match play event with multiple rounds.

Obviously I am not playing this time around but I am sharing my experience with my guys so that they will be as ready as they can be. Strategy doesnt only lend itself to what goes on the course, but off it too. Rest, hydration, relaxation are HUGE.

I don't have a specific number in mind, just a trajectory. I'm dropping about 2lbs a week which is right where I want to be.

Late nights.
Mentally draining.

It's definitely a big deal. While it wasn't nearly as hot here in Tampa yesterday afternoon as it will be in MB, I felt like I was actually playing better for holes 19-27 than I did 1-18. My walking and jogging has paid dividends in that area. More than anything I was sick of being salty and having my clothes start to stiffen up and irritate me. My eyes had dried up sweat all around them, and I hadn't brought anything other than a basic towel. I will definitely consider a clothing change after the first match on Saturday, and maybe some Wet Wipes.

I don't have a specific number in mind, just a trajectory. I'm dropping about 2lbs a week which is right where I want to be.

Dude that is great. Based on when you started and when Legacy is, you are going to be unrecognizable to me based on when I saw you. That is awesome stuff.

It's definitely a big deal. While it wasn't nearly as hot here in Tampa yesterday afternoon as it will be in MB, I felt like I was actually playing better for holes 19-27 than I did 1-18. My walking and jogging has paid dividends in that area. More than anything I was sick of being salty and having my clothes start to stiffen up and irritate me. My eyes had dried up sweat all around them, and I hadn't brought anything other than a basic towel. I will definitely consider a clothing change after the first match on Saturday, and maybe some Wet Wipes.

Lifesavers: http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Togg-Ch...=UTF8&qid=1432143181&sr=8-1&keywords=frog+tog

Doesnt have to be that brand but man those were tremendous down there.

Obviously I am not playing this time around but I am sharing my experience with my guys so that they will be as ready as they can be. Strategy doesnt only lend itself to what goes on the course, but off it too. Rest, hydration, relaxation are HUGE.
I'll be honest, my biggest concern right now is having the mental toughness to face the absolute beating that will be the Legacy and still maintain focus. It's easy to talk a big game looking at pictures of holes from the comfort of our computers, but I haven't talked to a single person who has actually played a THP event at these courses who didn't mention what a beating it was mentally and physically between the weather and the competition.

Other than physical fitness and obviously steps to avoid heat exhaustion, what preparation did you guys who have been there do that helped stay focused to play good golf? What do you wish you had done?

Dude that is great. Based on when you started and when Legacy is, you are going to be unrecognizable to me based on when I saw you. That is awesome stuff.
Yeah if I stay on track I'll be about 35lbs smaller than when we met before the UST event.

I'll be honest, my biggest concern right now is having the mental toughness to face the absolute beating that will be the Legacy and still maintain focus. It's easy to talk a big game looking at pictures of holes from the comfort of our computers, but I haven't talked to a single person who has actually played a THP event at these courses who didn't mention what a beating it was mentally and physically between the weather and the competition.

Other than physical fitness and obviously steps to avoid heat exhaustion, what preparation did you guys who have been there do that helped stay focused to play good golf? What do you wish you had done?

Last year really was my first experience with a big event like that or playing match play but for me it was working my butt off leading up to it and then a few weeks out just taking it easy and playing golf and trusting that I had put in the work. If you can head down to Myrtle knowing you gave it everything you had and did everything you could, then the rest is just going out and playing golf. Hitting the range and getting comfortable but most of all being relaxed and having fun. If you are too tense or work it up in your mind so much, the moment will absolutely bury you.

Its not that one is harder to stick to but rather that golfing in any form is way more fun than running or eating a salad. Easier to get motivated to hit balls vs hitting the gym.

Some of these guys are playing a lot more golf than just the competition as well; the couple days before. I've played in high heat and humidity, but never near that many holes, that many days in a row. I can only imagine the exhaustion. It's good you're participating as well; great leaders lead by example. Hopefully everyone takes the fitness/stamina thing seriously, otherwise they could be in for a rude awakening.

I love following this discussion, the effort you guys are putting in your legacy prep is tremendous. this event will be even more fun to follow because of that

Having a repeatable swing and being in shape physically. The rest will fall into place. If the swing is not repeatable, the exhaustion is twice as hard as it needs to be.

It's good you're participating as well; great leaders lead by example.
I don't have first-hand experience with what MikeDean is doing, but I can tell you that DevRickus has been doing exactly that since day one.

I started preparing with a bang and dropped 6lbs pretty quick. I seem to have plateaued there for now but I'm still running after work and being careful what and how much crap I eat. I usually drop pounds in waves so I'm hoping another drop is around the corner.

I was pretty damn tired by the back 9 of the second round Saturday at The King and I want to be better prepared this time around.

I started at 205 lbs and I want to get to 190 by Legacy time.

Some of these guys are playing a lot more golf than just the competition as well; the couple days before. I've played in high heat and humidity, but never near that many holes, that many days in a row. I can only imagine the exhaustion. It's good you're participating as well; great leaders lead by example. Hopefully everyone takes the fitness/stamina thing seriously, otherwise they could be in for a rude awakening.

yea this is my #1 concern. This will be more golf than I've played in such a short time frame than I ever have, and unfortunately I don't have the option to try to mimic to get read. I can only imagine what my wife's reaction would be if I told her to enjoy her memorial day weekend, I'll be gone for about about 8 hours/day Sat-Mon. Right now we're looking at 36 holes Thursday for practice, 9 holes Friday with the new clubs, 36 holes Saturday, and 18 Sunday. That's 99 holes of golf in a 5 day period. I think I have played exactly 99 holes in the last 30 days... (pretty much one round every weekend and a few random weekday 9's).

yea this is my #1 concern. This will be more golf than I've played in such a short time frame than I ever have, and unfortunately I don't have the option to try to mimic to get read. I can only imagine what my wife's reaction would be if I told her to enjoy her memorial day weekend, I'll be gone for about about 8 hours/day Sat-Mon. Right now we're looking at 36 holes Thursday for practice, 9 holes Friday with the new clubs, 36 holes Saturday, and 18 Sunday. That's 99 holes of golf in a 5 day period. I think I have played exactly 99 holes in the last 30 days... (pretty much one round every weekend and a few random weekday 9's).

My wife had the same reaction when I asked her but I gave her a few weeks notice and told her I needed to do it to get myself ready for July. People dont always realize what a sacrifice big events like this are to our family members. I would strongly urge everyone in the event to play 36 holes in a day at least once.

I started out very good, between working out and dieting. On top of that increase my flexibility. Over the last few weeks I completely fell of the wagon. I put my self on a new plan to get myself ready to go for Legacy. I really do want to make fitness a part of my Legacy. There is number in my head that I want to be at come July 17th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back