Will You Create Your Legacy - 2015 #THPLegacy Event

That has definitely helped. I rarely drink soda now. Maybe once every couple weeks. When I do, it's usually Coke Zero. I drink water like crazy.

Pop is my vice and I feel that I will just need to cut it out completely because it is too easy to fall back into drinking it.

yea this is my #1 concern. This will be more golf than I've played in such a short time frame than I ever have, and unfortunately I don't have the option to try to mimic to get read. I can only imagine what my wife's reaction would be if I told her to enjoy her memorial day weekend, I'll be gone for about about 8 hours/day Sat-Mon. Right now we're looking at 36 holes Thursday for practice, 9 holes Friday with the new clubs, 36 holes Saturday, and 18 Sunday. That's 99 holes of golf in a 5 day period. I think I have played exactly 99 holes in the last 30 days... (pretty much one round every weekend and a few random weekday 9's).

My wife had the same reaction when I asked her but I gave her a few weeks notice and told her I needed to do it to get myself ready for July. People dont always realize what a sacrifice big events like this are to our family members. I would strongly urge everyone in the event to play 36 holes in a day at least once.
Trying to get in at least 36 once is big just to give you an idea of what it will be like. If you haven't done it in a while my guess is it will effect you more than you think. I just went through that this past weekend in MSP. As far as preparing for the heat, I don't know. Maybe exercise in a sweat suit or something.

My wife had the same reaction when I asked her but I gave her a few weeks notice and told her I needed to do it to get myself ready for July. People dont always realize what a sacrifice big events like this are to our family members. I would strongly urge everyone in the event to play 36 holes in a day at least once.

oh definitely plan on doing 36 holes a few times, including this Saturday. My wife really doesn't know better...i'll just tell her it was a really slow round. It's the back to back days that just isn't going to be possible. I'm basically asking for forgiveness Saturday, and then Sunday I'll watch the kids (and the Crowne Plaza lol) and let her do her thing. And Monday BBQ

Trying to get in at least 36 once is big just to give you an idea of what it will be like. If you haven't done it in a while my guess is it will effect you more than you think. I just went through that this past weekend in MSP. As far as preparing for the heat, I don't know. Maybe exercise in a sweat suit or something.

And GOLDBOND SPRAY POWDER AND COMPRESSION SHORTS!!! Haha

Yeah I don't know that 99 holes in four days is necessary for prep, but I've already played 36 in a day just to make sure I can do it, and my plan is to do 36 hole days several times in the weeks leading up, both for the practice and to make sure my handicap is accurate before I get there. I learned the hard way at a local event in TX that when you're hot and tired and playing badly, you can just fall apart mentally in the second round. I'm ashamed that I quit that day, but it's a constant reminder that mental toughness is important. I won't ever quit again.

Question for all of the participants. How much has fitness and diet been a part of your overall preparation? I know it was talked about early on and some were really diving right in to making it a big part of their goals. How many have stayed the course and followed through on their fitness and diet goals and how many let it go by the way side?

I stuck with my fitness goals. My fitness goal was to gain strength. I actually went out of my way to do strength training, and also was attempting to gain weight. Murphy's law kicked in, I actually lost weight. I had lost 10 lbs as of a couple of weeks ago, but have since gained a couple back (those ice cream sandwiches will get you). But I stuck to my routine, added to it a bit, and will add running to the mix in about 10 days. The results have paid off, because I'm actually seeing some pretty good distance gains, which I didn't actually expect, but I'll take it.

I had no diet goal. I'm fairly certain most would say I don't weigh much. I think I have Rory by a pound at the moment, but he still hits the driver further than I do. All I did for diet was make sure I had enough protein, and try to cut out fried foods. No chips, no chicken nuggets, etc. I still do pretty good with that.

~Rock

Yeah I don't know that 99 holes in four days is necessary for prep, but I've already played 36 in a day just to make sure I can do it, and my plan is to do 36 hole days several times in the weeks leading up, both for the practice and to make sure my handicap is accurate before I get there. I learned the hard way at a local event in TX that when you're hot and tired and playing badly, you can just fall apart mentally in the second round. I'm ashamed that I quit that day, but it's a constant reminder that mental toughness is important. I won't ever quit again.

If you ever do, there is a size 11 with your name on it....:angry:

If you ever do, there is a size 11 with your name on it....:angry:
Thanks, but I don't need your boot as incentive. I'm the one that has to live with myself. :)

I just played 36 in Ohio this weekend. It was nice golfing weather so the heat wasnt an issue. I felt fine until the last 3-4 holes when I could start to feel my arms getting tired in my swing.

I've been dieting,but it's a recent thing, preparing for the heat and humidity is a little different for me. I work outside in a physically demanding environment. But as we near the hotter summer months I will work to condition myself more for what is expected in MB. It's not something I'll take to lightly.

I've been dieting,but it's a recent thing, preparing for the heat and humidity is a little different for me. I work outside in a physically demanding environment. But as we near the hotter summer months I will work to condition myself more for what is expected in MB. It's not something I'll take to lightly.

Plus you won't be floating kegs the night before competition.

Let me say that even though I play a lot down here in FL, the humidity can still get to me. I played 27 holes a week ago and my back was so sore the next day. It's the main reason I got back into the gym.

I'm taking the fitness part seriously, but I'm fully aware that NOTHING can prepare a Canadian for that Southeast heat/humidity.

I'm taking the fitness part seriously, but I'm fully aware that NOTHING can prepare a Canadian for that Southeast heat/humidity.
I mean you can turn your shower on high, close the door, put 4 trash bags on and run in place full speed for 4 hours. That might give you a little taste. Haha

Part of the thing that I took for granted in the prep the first time I was in a multiround match play THP Event was how exhausted you would be from the get go.
Late nights.
Long rounds (yes slow play exists).
Mentally draining.
The Highs & Lows of Match Play
Quick Turnaround between rounds.

I learned that for the second time and came far better prepared for a match play event with multiple rounds.
Had I not had an experience to draw back on this would be very Greek to me. Looking back to the Grandaddy. I certainly can appreciate everything in the post. add in the excitement leading up to the event, put you on a euphoric high, but during that time your wearing down the batteries of life. So your operating on less than a full tank before it even starts.

I'll be honest, my biggest concern right now is having the mental toughness to face the absolute beating that will be the Legacy and still maintain focus. It's easy to talk a big game looking at pictures of holes from the comfort of our computers, but I haven't talked to a single person who has actually played a THP event at these courses who didn't mention what a beating it was mentally and physically between the weather and the competition.

Other than physical fitness and obviously steps to avoid heat exhaustion, what preparation did you guys who have been there do that helped stay focused to play good golf? What do you wish you had done?
Mentally you need to understand that your going to experience the roller coaster of emotions during that short few days were in Myrtle Beach. There is not recipe for doing it perfectly, but it's something no matter what you'll never forget. Embrace the struggles, expect them to happen, and roll with it. In the end you define your legacy, and it will define you when it's all said and done.

Brother you are absolutely right. All of the support network we each have going in to this event will be the same when you come out of the event. Without that support I know that I wouldn't be half as good as I am. All of which has helped me script my Legacy. Long before this event and long after it, they are a strong part of life's legacy.

Question for all of the participants. How much has fitness and diet been a part of your overall preparation? I know it was talked about early on and some were really diving right in to making it a big part of their goals. How many have stayed the course and followed through on their fitness and diet goals and how many let it go by the way side?

For me it was never part of my prep as I workout and eat fairly well as it is. I have not changed any of my workouts other than what I do normally and still make sure to get in 4 each week. I have tried to cut back on beer during the week (normally drink 2 a night) to 2 a week and then only a few on the weekend. I have started doing 100 burpees a day but that is more to tone up the mid section for beach season.

9F5CE67E-FA09-4917-BEDA-A4948192B5B6.png_zps7grnzyag.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
such a great finishing hole. Add in a little pressure and it has the makings of a fantastic way to define your THPLegacy!

The glorious 18th. FW is wider than it looks in photos. I'm short enough where I could hit driver to between the 108 & 135 marker leaving 120-130.

If you do go in water off the tee then drop area is left of green near 175 number on the graphic. One of the easier greens on the course IMO but it's all about the approach. Lots of water and folks watching from the Caledonia clubhouse.

Fantastic finishing hole, just like 18 at True Blue.

Great job Kevin doing this daily, been fun to relive each of the holes!!

This looks like a 3 wood off the tee for me. It is strange in that it looks like the angle is much better on the longer approach shots. I would probably be most comfortable if I could get to the 130 range for a wedge.

What a great finishing hole. Challenging tee shot and approach. The wind always seems to be blowing in your face or back towards the water.

That hole looks like a ton of fun

Back