Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Driver Review

I still can't believe how compact it looks at address for an aerodynamic type driver. Usually they are so stretched out. I like.

Do you still get the benefits of lightweight with the non-stock shaft?

Proabably not, but I wasn't really looking for that anyway.

I've put a heavier shaft in mine. Not in anyway comparing myself to tour pros, but I read where a couple that put this head in play last year did that. I don't have any launch monitor data to support this but the heavier shaft makes me feel more stable through the swing. I'm likely losing some of the benefits of the lightweight setup of faster club head speed, but with as slow as I swing that's probably not too much to give up anyway. I'm digging the predictable ball flight and forgiveness I'm getting.

I've put a heavier shaft in mine. Not in anyway comparing myself to tour pros, but I read where a couple that put this head in play last year did that. I don't have any launch monitor data to support this but the heavier shaft makes me feel more stable through the swing. I'm likely losing some of the benefits of the lightweight setup of faster club head speed, but with as slow as I swing that's probably not too much to give up anyway. I'm digging the predictable ball flight and forgiveness I'm getting.

I seemed to hit it well with the Bassara in there too, but I just got the head and figured I'd put the shaft I've had the most success with over a period of time in there. I'm more concerned in getting a little more ball speed at the moment anyway. It's not fast, but my swing speed is fine as is.

I seemed to hit it well with the Bassara in there too, but I just got the head and figured I'd put the shaft I've had the most success with over a period of time in there. I'm more concerned in getting a little more ball speed at the moment anyway. It's not fast, but my swing speed is fine as is.

what * you rocking urs at now?

what * you rocking urs at now?

I've got the 10.5° and it's just in the standard setting, but I haven't played around with it at all. I pretty much built it, let it cure for a couple hours (quick set epoxy) and stuck it in the bag. Height seemed pretty good to me as it was, so unless I see a need I probably won't mess with it.

I got this out for some more getting to know you time yesterday. Only hit it on three holes, but hit it a few times on each one.

Here's the first thing I like about this driver:
pic111.jpg

That shape is really good. Even better when you consider how the driver is designed to perform. It's a very standard shape, you can get the face angle where you want it, and in general it's just a very attractive look. Then add in a the black crown and chev and it's just a a nice, no-frills package. I'm not above graphics or unique shapes and have played many interesting looking drivers, but if we're talking what I like (if performance qualities I need are there) you are looking right at it. Makes me think of the D2 in some ways (probably just the all black look) and that was another of my aesthetic favorites of 2015. Then you add in top-tier sound at impact and yay I'm happy. Sole is weird, but that's low on my priority list.

Matching with the Tour Blue was a good call on my part. Playing at 44.5" I had to add some tape, but only bothered to bring it up to D1 or so. With the chopping it was down in the C5 or lower range. Lots of good spots for tape on that funky sole, which was nice. Shaft feels right, head looks good.

Now, regarding performance, I'm looking for a couple pretty simple things - I want to launch relatively high with a mid-spin trajectory and I want to get some help off-center. Distance is what it is and as long as I'm getting the launch (and to a lesser degree spin) it will be there - there meaning 'what I expect'. Not looking for miracles. In a perfect world I'd pick up 10mph ball speed, but that's not coming from a driver.

My preferred flight will get me some roll even with higher launch angles in normal conditions, so I just want to hit it high enough to grab as much carry as possible. I have a pretty good place to test this, with a hole that has the opportunity to cut a corner by hitting the ball over a set of very tall, old growth trees on the left side. With drivers that meet my trajectory needs, I can clear them with a good swing and with one that is too flat or low I'll be knocking into them. Happy to see I made it over them with no issues.

In reality, if I look at what I'm seeing out of this 10.5 head and my preferred shaft, I'm not sure I could tell you it was much different (if at all) than my X Hot in 11.5° that I clicked down a notch. The output is remarkably similar to what I remember when I was really in my prime with that driver and in my mind that's a very good thing. I played that driver two seasons for a reason. This looks better though and serves the purpose of not playing the same driver for yet another season, so maybe I'm on to something.

Missed a couple shots, but wind made it hard to gauge. Both were fairway misses - not out of play and not abnormally short, but outside that I can't get too specific. Obviously some forgiveness there though.

Highly encouraging so far. I had some strong contenders in and out of the bag in the last 6 months, but what I found was that none of them really covered all the bases well. Lots of them hit one or two things I look for, but missed on a couple others.

excellent write up. C5 swingweight, that would have been interesting to see you swing. I think you are right about the looks. Has a good shape and the all black gives it that no frills all business look. In my short experiences with that club, I'd imagine the launch won't be an issue. Be interesting to see how it goes once the courses dry out and on days the wind is down.

excellent write up. C5 swingweight, that would have been interesting to see you swing. I think you are right about the looks. Has a good shape and the all black gives it that no frills all business look. In my short experiences with that club, I'd imagine the launch won't be an issue. Be interesting to see how it goes once the courses dry out and on days the wind is down.

I have some hope that I'll be able to hit up my normal course this weekend and if so I should get a feel for yardages on both good and bad swings. It's probably the windiest place within 50 miles of here, but I hit a couple into the wind yesterday that hung in there surprisingly well. Shorter of course, but no funky ball flight.

I know when something's right and this one is right. For me. Haven't felt like that in a long time and it sucked. Made a very good call on the shaft I put in there and I have absolutely nothing to complain about at the moment. Trajectory, distance, forgiveness, looks, and sound are all there. Long term I can't say for sure, since things have a way of presenting themselves over time, but I've played a butt load of drivers in the last six months and this is the first time I've felt like I had a total package in forever.

That's great Hawk, congrats.

I know when something's right and this one is right. For me. Haven't felt like that in a long time and it sucked. Made a very good call on the shaft I put in there and I have absolutely nothing to complain about at the moment. Trajectory, distance, forgiveness, looks, and sound are all there. Long term I can't say for sure, since things have a way of presenting themselves over time, but I've played a butt load of drivers in the last six months and this is the first time I've felt like I had a total package in forever.

Glad to see it looks like you've filled in that top slot, Hawk. The V series is a really nice feeling driver - I spent some time with it in my fitting the other day with a bunch of shafts, but I ended up seeing about the same performance out of my 2014 Bertha (maybe a bit lower spin with that one). Definitely something I'd play, but more of a "if it ain't broke" situation. I love the look of the V series line though - just about perfect at address.

I'm 2 for 2 with you and drivers you know.

I should write about things and stuff or something.

Love it Hawk, its a good head, I had success with a LOT of different shaft combos, the preconception that it has to be lightweight is just off. Though the Bassara was extremely good for me.

That's the funny thing about it. My last two drivers were Jman hand me downs. I'm happy about that too lol.

I think aside from looks it's just about as close to the original x hot as you can find out there and that's a good thing. The fact that it looks better is icing on the cake.

That's the funny thing about it. My last two drivers were Jman hand me downs. I'm happy about that too lol.

I think aside from looks it's just about as close to the original x hot as you can find out there and that's a good thing. The fact that it looks better is icing on the cake.

Hahaha, its awesome. I agree, launched a little higher for me, but man it has some similarities. The fact that I had to turn a driver down to 9.5 says something haha

Spent some course time with the 9 degree head the other night. Was looking for something with a little more forgiveness. Took it out toe to toe with the Covert 2.0 Tour. Only really about 5 swings with each on the course. Some quick thoughts on this one.

Love the look. It's large without looking large.
My driver miss this year has been low on the face, and the balls I hit there I thought produced some good shots.
Sound is not as loud or tingy as my current stick
Distance was OK. Need more time with that and will hit some on SC100.

BTW I have this paired with a UST Attas shaft, went down in flex but I know the shaft fits my swing. Noticeably higher flight with this combo then what I have been seeing with the 2.0.

Isn't that the truth. I still think this is the first Cally driver I've really connected with since the X Hot.

Spent some course time with the 9 degree head the other night. Was looking for something with a little more forgiveness. Took it out toe to toe with the Covert 2.0 Tour. Only really about 5 swings with each on the course. Some quick thoughts on this one.

My driver miss this year has been low on the face, and the balls I hit there I thought produced some good shots.

BTW I have this paired with a UST Attas shaft, went down in flex but I know the shaft fits my swing. Noticeably higher flight with this combo then what I have been seeing with the 2.0.

Is that the original Attas? Orange and white?

Is that the original Attas? Orange and white?

yes sir. Still kicking around just always waiting to be shafted up.

The original $300 shaft. Baller.

The original $300 shaft. Baller.

The orange clashes with the red. It's the loudmouth shorts of shafts right now.

Sounds like a dangerous combo, well done Dean.

I am also revisiting this club with the 9 degree head -- have a Fuji 565, and picked up a Fuji 665 from eBay to try. I also ordered an Oban Isawa 55 from a club maker, all stiff.

Like the head, would love to see the R Moto face on this one. The 9 degree head has a slightly different internal design and (maybe) slightly more weight, than the 10.5 or 13, according to Callaway pub. If not for the N. Texas rain and Holiday I might have something to report other than on the range, the 9 degree gave me a piercing mid trajectory, and the +1 gave it more air, which is not saying much.

One of the above shafts ought to work.

I am also revisiting this club with the 9 degree head -- have a Fuji 565, and picked up a Fuji 665 from eBay to try. I also ordered an Oban Isawa 55 from a club maker, all stiff.

Like the head, would love to see the R Moto face on this one. The 9 degree head has a slightly different internal design and (maybe) slightly more weight, than the 10.5 or 13, according to Callaway pub. If not for the N. Texas rain and Holiday I might have something to report other than on the range, the 9 degree gave me a piercing mid trajectory, and the +1 gave it more air, which is not saying much.

One of the above shafts ought to work.
Who is still playing one. Intrigued by the line after hitting FW and being blown away

Has anyone felt the need to loft down due to the lighter weight and maybe higher spin rate? And maybe go to a stiffer shaft than you would usually use?

Has anyone felt the need to loft down due to the lighter weight and maybe higher spin rate? And maybe go to a stiffer shaft than you would usually use?

I didn't loft down because of the spin, its not a spinny head contrary to what some have said in the past, but it IS a launcher (unless you go 9* head, that head is lower spinning and launching than the others by design).

I played this one with the stock shaft in stiff flex with no issues at all at 105+. Its definitely not weaker because its lighter.

Damn good driver head. Damn good.

Back