Lob wedge with highest spin?

zooropa

Reaction score
Handicap
Had a hit with a recent model nike that a friend has and it spun a lot more than either the vokey sm5 I have tried or the original rtx I currently have. All thoughts greatly appreciated.

imo it's going to be more about your technique than it is going to be about the wedge.

Yep, all wedges spin, they really do. The whole key is technique unlocking that spin.

Me, I kind of lack that most of the time. LOL

Yep, all wedges spin, they really do. The whole key is technique unlocking that spin.

Me, I kind of lack that most of the time. LOL

I lack it all the time. :)

As mentioned above it really comes down to how you strike the ball etc: . Now to techinically answer your question, according to track man data Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges imparted the most spin on the golf of all current cc models. But it still comes to down to how well you strike it. So I say go with what feels and looks good to you and play the right golf ball.

You could always try a shaft like the DG Spinner to see if it helps.

imo it's going to be more about your technique than it is going to be about the wedge.

I agree. If you want max spin, go with square grooved wedges like Callaway Jaw's or use a high spin shaft like the TT DG Spinner in wedges with the new grooves.

That and the age. Hit them a few thousand times and you will loose spin. I know how it works as my wedges are getting older and there is an extra 4-5 yards in the 60* from roll out from off the fairway.

Last edited:
That and the age. Hit them a few thousand times and you will loose spin. I know how it works as my wedges are getting older and there is an extra 4-5 yards in the 60* from roll out.
From a clean lie, a smooth face wedge will spin just as much as a deep grooved wedge. The reduction in spin would come from moisture, grass, or dirt between the ball and face. That's what the grooves do, channel stuff away. That's why the V grooves haven't had much of an affect at all.

That and the age. Hit them a few thousand times and you will loose spin. I know how it works as my wedges are getting older and there is an extra 4-5 yards in the 60* from roll out.
Yep, wedges can and do wear down eventually for those of us who really play a lot, especially if a lot of sand shots/practice are involved.

Yep, wedges can and do wear down eventually for those of us who really play a lot, especially if a lot of sand shots/practice are involved.
But Really. Who practices short game? :alien:

I just go and bomb 100 driver swings! :D

From a clean lie, a smooth face wedge will spin just as much as a deep grooved wedge. The reduction in spin would come from moisture, grass, or dirt between the ball and face. That's what the grooves do, channel stuff away. That's why the V grooves haven't had much of an affect at all.

That's not completely accurate.

http://wishongolf.com/wedge-backspin-create-backspin-with-a-micro-groove-wedge/

And while a picked shot from a clean lie will still get some spin with a worn wedge, Vokey and Cleveland say you are giving up spin with old/worn wedges:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2013-09/new-looks-wedges-grooves

That wishon article is funny.

That's not completely accurate.

http://wishongolf.com/wedge-backspin-create-backspin-with-a-micro-groove-wedge/

And while a picked shot from a clean lie will still get some spin with a worn wedge, Vokey and Cleveland say you are giving up spin with old/worn wedges:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/2013-09/new-looks-wedges-grooves
Science says that smooth wedges spin just as much, from a clean lie. The grooves don't "grab the ball" they simply don't. and of course Vokey and Cleveland say that old wedges lose spin (they do, because we are very rarely playing out of a clean lie). What do you expect an OEM to say? "don't buy new wedges?"

It looks like I may finally be back this year to wearing out my sand and lob wedge each summer like I used to before kids and all this adult responsibility crap. I've been hitting at least a few hundred bunker and greenside practice shots each week recently. Having kids turn into teenagers that can drive is a beautiful thing!

Science says that smooth wedges spin just as much, from a clean lie. The grooves don't "grab the ball" they simply don't. and of course Vokey and Cleveland say that old wedges lose spin (they do, because we are very rarely playing out of a clean lie). What do you expect an OEM to say? "don't buy new wedges?"

Could you please share links to the scientific studies you are quoting? I'm genuinely interested.

Here's an article from Pelz that says his testing proves that even a change in groove design significantly affects spin. He isn't putting his name on any wedges right now. So he's not trying to sell anything for an OEM.

http://www.golf.com/photos/crack-wedge-spin-code

It's just my opinion, but it is very "internet golfer" to say that the best in the business are lying to sell you more products.

Could you please share links to the scientific studies you are quoting? I'm genuinely interested.

Here's an article from Pelz that says his testing proves that even a change in groove design significantly affects spin. He isn't putting his name on any wedges right now. So he's not trying to sell anything for an OEM.

http://www.golf.com/photos/crack-wedge-spin-code

It's just my opinion, but it is very "internet golfer" to say that the best in the business are lying to sell you more products.
I will work on it. The new grooves may reduce spin. Less groove volume means less channeling of debris. No challenge from me there. But surface roughness and and milling don't add spin. Just look at your drivers, woods, hyrbids. They spin a lot. So much that the ball goes OB from time to time. How deep and sharp are those grooves? How rough are those faces?

Drivers can produce a ton of spin, but the majority of that is due to technique. It has little to do with the face design with drivers. Apples to oranges comparing them to wedges.

Drivers can produce a ton of spin, but the majority of that is due to technique. It has little to do with the face design with drivers. Apples to oranges comparing them to wedges.
Spin with wedges is technique, lie, and ball cover.

Surface roughness isn't that big of a deal. Since it does nothing. The grooves sharpness and depth matter because if the lie isn't perfect (it rarely is) the deeper the grooves the more the debris gets funneled away. But the edges don't grab the ball.

Do you think drivers with grooves spin more than drivers without grooves?

Do you think drivers with grooves spin more than drivers without grooves?

They would and to varying degrees. The Pelz testing proves that. Whether it would be enough to matter to the average golfer (or any golfer) is another issue entirely.

Surface roughness isn't that big of a deal. Since it does nothing. The grooves sharpness and depth matter because if the lie isn't perfect (it rarely is) the deeper the grooves the more the debris gets funneled away. But the edges don't grab the ball.

Could you stop a wedge shot with no grooves?

Could you stop a wedge shot with no grooves?
Yes. I have. From a clean lie, it's very doable. My father-in-law has a grooveless wedge. It's silly but it still spins.

It does, but whether it's enough to be significant to you, the average golfer, or any golfer is a different issue.

Here's one study proving so:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02844127

And another:

http://www.sinclairgolf.com/research/83-which-wedge-spins-the-most

The second article is clear though, they don't think the milled face offers enough change to matter but it definitely increases spin.

I could do this all day. I'm not here to say whether it will make enough difference for the OP to see if he gets new wedges. I'm just here to make sure he understands that it could.

They would and to varying degrees. The Pelz testing proves that. Whether it would be enough to matter to the average golfer (or any golfer) is another issue entirely.
Oh jeez.
Fwiw, you mentioned Pelz not making clubs. He is in fact working with an OEM and has been on staff for quite some time.

Back