The Car Shopping Thread

All I really want in my next car to be honest are power windows and locks, plus easy iPod integration. I don't need the cameras or lane warnings or all that jazz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are certain things that should be standard on all cars, base model or not. Electric windows and central locking are 2 of them!

From the rear...

ff322df4c7ca78e70cf668e1aa9d230a.jpg

Bow ties and SS emblem next week. Then exhaust!!

Looks real nice. I like the black on the white.

Does anyone have experience with the site truecar or something similar? We want to get the best price obviously but don't really like haggling.

Thanks.

I get annoyed everytime I shop for cars, I want certain upgrades, stereo, cosmetic upgrades like rims and aero packages etc, and so often these options are tied to packages that bring you bells and whistles like Nav and back up cameras and blind spot warnings.

I don't need help driving, I want to look good and some comforts.
Backup cameras are nice. Once youve had it, youd never want to be without it.

From the rear...

ff322df4c7ca78e70cf668e1aa9d230a.jpg

Bow ties and SS emblem next week. Then exhaust!!
I like it. It looks sharp! Now you just need to get rid of that ugly bowtie emblem. ;)

Backup camera is the only option my truck lacks that I wish it had. Especially for hooking up to the trailer it would save a couple minutes.

The Car Shopping Thread

The auto park feature is pretty cool on my SS. It's weird letting the car turn the wheel.

Backup camera is the only option my truck lacks that I wish it had. Especially for hooking up to the trailer it would save a couple minutes.
Its also nice for older people or those who have flexibility issues. Not everyone is able to turn around and look behind them enough to where they can clearly see where they are backing up. I know that Honda has a backup camera standard on all of their '15 models and IMO, its a really good safety feature.
Normally, Im not a big fan of a lot of the new safety tech but Im a big fan of backup cameras.

Got in a Range Rover yesterday and boy was it sweet but way out of my budget

Got in a Range Rover yesterday and boy was it sweet but way out of my budget

If you think the purchase price is high, you should look up the cost of ownership.

Well, after hitting a deer last week with my '07 Toyota Camry, it looks like Im suddenly car shopping. Im looking at getting a Honda Accord. I loved my Camry and really want something similar but I feel like the Accord is a better option.

I had an 07 Camry that I sold last year before moving overseas. I loved Camry's reliability and resale value, but it always left me wanting something more... I agree that Accord is a better option. I'm also a big fan of VW.

My wife and I are looking at getting a Mazda Axela(3) soon. We have a Mazda Atenza(6) station wagon and its great. We will be upgrading my Primera that is a 1996 to hopefully a 2007/08 Mazda.

I had an 07 Camry that I sold last year before moving overseas. I loved Camry's reliability and resale value, but it always left me wanting something more... I agree that Accord is a better option. I'm also a big fan of VW.
Yeah, I mean, I loved my Camry. I had it for almost 5 years, put over 180,000 miles on it and it was a very good car. Other than having to replace the water pump, I never really had any problems with it that you couldnt consider routine maintenance.
It wasnt fun to drive though. If you tried to push it hard through a corner, the body would just roll over and it just never felt like something you could attack corners with. Its not trying to be a sports car though, so no big surprise there.
I feel like the Accord is smoother, quieter, more refined and has a little bit better engine technology. Not to mention you can get a manual with an Accord if you want, which is kind of cool, whereas you can only get an automatic with a Camry. Of course, if you want an automatic and dont want a CVT, the Honda could be a problem for you, although you could just learn how to drive a stick. I mean, its not THAT difficult.

If you think the purchase price is high, you should look up the cost of ownership.

Oh I know my grandfather owned a couple and so has my uncle.

I'd own an older own in a heart beat though, they are beasts and the most capable vehicles off the assembly line I've ever seen tested.

Wake, I am with you. It looks great and I was skeptical.It is like plastic surgery. A little can be good but too much is....too much.This is classy. Anxious to see whats next.
I was skeptical Frog, but it looks good man.

Does anyone have experience with the site truecar or something similar? We want to get the best price obviously but don't really like haggling.

Thanks.
Dude, it was a while ago, but I used USAA and TrueCar (USAA uses it on their car buying widget if you're a member). I built up my Fusion and got some good prices back but they were up in ATL. The local dealer wasn't a "player" in TrueCar (kinda weird) but I printed out the final price and just walked into Ford and said, I'm willing to pay "this" based on TrueCar, will you match that? They didn't even hesitate. I probably could've even gotten a little more off, but oh well. I was happy with it. I was in and out the door with the keys in like an hour.

The Car Shopping Thread

Wake, I am with you. It looks great and I was skeptical.It is like plastic surgery. A little can be good but too much is....too much.This is classy. Anxious to see whats next.

Next are bow ties and SS emblem same color as spoiler and vents. Don't think I'll change much of the look after that just maybe the rims black or black chrome. Then the outside will be done. No stripes or anything. Then gonna upgrade exhaust. It's sounds good now, I just want more HP and more throaty than it already is. Then cold air intake and headers and a cam. Then tune it up! Should be more amazing than she already is. Once all that is done it will be at 500HP and 480 torque up from 430/415. If I do supercharger then it would go to 585HP and 530 torque but not sure I want to do it. That's $10k more...

Oh I know my grandfather owned a couple and so has my uncle.

I'd own an older own in a heart beat though, they are beasts and the most capable vehicles off the assembly line I've ever seen tested.

They are awesome, theyre just highly unreliable and very expensive to fix when they do break. With the exception of a Toyota Land Cruiser, especially if youre talking an FJ40 or maybe a Willys Jeep; theyre easily one of the most capable off road rigs you can buy. Im not sure that Id want one for my daily driver though. LOL

Thanks.

I used TrueCar to get an idea, but once I had an idea of what I wanted, I went through the internet sales guys at the dealerships around me and got them to give me their best out the door price. Then went to the one that was lowest to buy (last time we took the best number to the dealership near us and they matched it).

I can tell you that the price I paid with no haggling (just comparison shopping) was about $800 less than the TrueCar price, and allowed me to go in with nothing to negotiate other than my trade in amount.

hey guys, I was watching a documentary yesterday on alternative fuels and realised that my Ford Focus has a flex fuel badge on it, does this mean I could be using ethanol in it? can it damage the engine? is it worth it?

I am not sure if I can find ethanol around here, but I will be driving down to pittsburgh next week and am willing tot ry it if I can find any
You can use Ethanol in your flex fuel Focus. You will gain a little horsepower, and lose a little MPGs. I can't find confirmation, but you'll probably pay a little more for Ethanol, and at least in the Albany area, dedicated Ethanol pumps are not easy to find.

You can use Ethanol in your flex fuel Focus. You will gain a little horsepower, and lose a little MPGs. I can't find confirmation, but you'll probably pay a little more for Ethanol, and at least in the Albany area, dedicated Ethanol pumps are not easy to find.

I did check and nothing is available with more than 10% ethanol here

I do think you will see a HP gain with the switch. You can tune a vehicle for more HP with E85 since it's a higher octane you can run higher compression. But in Stock form I think you won't see any gains.

And I don't know about up there, but ethanol tends to run cheaper.

I do think you will see a HP gain with the switch. You can tune a vehicle for more HP with E85 since it's a higher octane you can run higher compression. But in Stock form I think you won't see any gains.

And I don't know about up there, but ethanol tends to run cheaper.

Yes, E85 does provide a bit of a HP gain in N/A engines. A larger gain is achieved when tuning a forced induction car.for E85. You can run more timing and not get KR as opposed to most E10 applications.

Yes, E85 does provide a bit of a HP gain in N/A engines. A larger gain is achieved when tuning a forced induction car.for E85. You can run more timing and not get KR as opposed to most E10 applications.
No doubt you can achieve more HP in a NA car, but would you see anything in a stock tune? If the car is tuned for 87-93 I don't think you could gain anything by switching to e85, but I've been wrong before.

No doubt you can achieve more HP in a NA car, but would you see anything in a stock tune? If the car is tuned for 87-93 I don't think you could gain anything by switching to e85, but I've been wrong before.

E85 provides better resistance to detonation and has cooling effects that make it provide more power over E10. For this reason you see big gains in forced induction application but even with the stock tune a N/A engine will see 2-3%hp gain with a stock 87 octane tune. However, it will lose more than that in MPG and really it's going to be hard to really "feel" the difference. It's a lot easier to see it on the Dyno or the strip vice on the street.

Back