#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

Believe me, everyone that tees it up on Saturday is already a THP member. (not sure if the post was directed to saturday play or not but wanted to make sure you know it will be all THP playing Torrey Pines.)

That's awesome. What's your buddy's forum name?

I believe everybody is a THP member - not sure about Ale's buddy though.

Edit: Ale beat me to it.

Believe me, everyone that tees it up on Saturday is already a THP member. (not sure if the post was directed to saturday play or not but wanted to make sure you know it will be all THP playing Torrey Pines.)

I concur. I believe the only people playing are the people who are selected for this event, Ale (SD local), and Ale's buddy (who's needed to book the extra rounds at Torrey). I didn't know if Ale's buddy is a THPer, but it sounds like he is.

it will be either Toas or SanDiegoNative. I am following up with Minh this weekend and Toas is checking his schedule

Here's my thought on hotels.

Here are a few notes to keep in mind:
  • The true temper headquarters is minutes from Torrey and Ballast Point Miramar (where we're doing dinner Thursday night)
  • The true temper headquarters is 22 minutes from Balboa golf course (where we'll end Friday) and 26 minutes from downtown
  • The airport is directly near downtown

There are two ways to do this:
  1. Stay downtown. Main perks include short ride from the airport and nightlife convenience. We could get by with needing less rentals. For example, we could drop the rentals off Saturday evening when we get back from Torrey and just take cabs to the airport on Sunday. We'd only need rental cars for Wednesday (for those of us playing Torrey Wednesday through Saturday night). The only drawback to this is the 20-30 minute drive Thursday, Friday, and Saturday mornings to Project X and Torrey.
  2. Stay near Torrey and Project X. Perks are flipped. Easier drive Thursday, Friday, and Saturday but have to venture out more for evening activities.
  3. Do what DB suggested and stay Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night in Del Mar and Saturday night in downtown. It'd just mean packing up and relocating.

I'm game for either option. Staying downtown makes it easier to coordinate evening activities and hotels (if one person has points with one chain and someone else with another, all is good). It'll mean waking up a little early on Thurs/Fri/Sat, but it'll be easier for night owls go out if they want to and for people who want to call it a night to do so if we're close to downtown.

I'm thinking of booking at the Hotel Indigo (I get IHG (Holiday Inn) points for staying there) if we go with downtown. Currently less than $200 a night and about a 3-4 minute drive from the airport. It has really good trip advisor reviews.

Alternatively, if we stay near Torrey/Project X, I'll vote for booking at the Hilton Garden Inn (San Diego Del Mar) which is around $203 a night (plus taxes/fees)

Just my thoughts. I'm flexible and game for whatever.

Last edited:
Lot of action going on today in this thread! Stupid work making me miss out. PM'd Ale, definitely in for 2 rounds at TP on Saturday.

Lot of action going on today in this thread! Stupid work making me miss out. PM'd Ale, definitely in for 2 rounds at TP on Saturday.

Once Ale gets the 2nd person who can book situated and we know Spivey's plans, we can switch it around for the afternoon. Between those two rounds and the round on Friday with the Project X people, I'm sure we'll all get a chance to play one round with everyone in their group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will be either Toas or SanDiegoNative. I am following up with Minh this weekend and Toas is checking his schedule
What up JB ? I'm busy as ever with work and moving in (still unpacking, need to paint, maintenance, etc), but I'm always game to help fellow THPers get on Torrey Pines. You and GolferGal should take a 6 hour break and come golf with us ?

I feel like I missed the boat - glad I caught this today!
I will get my Sat plans squared up ASAP - I have a couple of things I need to hear about before making the call.
As of today, I am def in for Wed twilight at Torrey Pines South, sharing a Wed & Thurs night hotel (doesn't matter where), and Fri Downtown (with the GF, I think).

Hey guys, do we know who is in for the second group at Torrey Pines North for Saturday AM? I think we should try to book this tee time this week. Also, any idea when we should book the twilight round for Torrey South on Saturday? I'd like to book that soon as well so we are assured of playing.

Hey guys, do we know who is in for the second group at Torrey Pines North for Saturday AM? I think we should try to book this tee time this week. Also, any idea when we should book the twilight round for Torrey South on Saturday? I'd like to book that soon as well so we are assured of playing.

I'm not sure who is booking the 2nd group. It may be sandiegonative but I'm not sure. I'm with you on getting the PM rounds booked at the South course.

I do know that they can only book on round per day (odd policy they can at the public courses but it is what it is I guess)

Circling back around to the booking hotel thoughts. Does anyone have a preference?

I don't have much preference on hotels to be honest. I guess if pressed, I like Best Westerns, but I have several loyalty programs so if someone has a strong preference I'm willing to go with that.

As far as location, I'm in favor of closer to Torrey/PX, and possibly moving closer to the airport for Saturday night. But again, not too picky.

I don't have much preference on hotels to be honest. I guess if pressed, I like Best Westerns, but I have several loyalty programs so if someone has a strong preference I'm willing to go with that.

As far as location, I'm in favor of closer to Torrey/PX, and possibly moving closer to the airport for Saturday night. But again, not too picky.

That makes good sense to me. We can go to the Del Mar area in the evenings if we want for hanging out. That'd also give us a downtown night and put us close to the airport. So that'd be Wednesday/Thurday/Friday night in Torrey/PX area and Sat night downtown.

We'll see how other people vote in and go from there to see who wants to share a room with who and who'll share cars/rides/taxis after we decide which areas we're staying in.

I know you're anxious Courtney but I think we need to wait and see about any THP rates on hotels.

I know you're anxious Courtney but I think we need to wait and see about any THP rates on hotels.

Ah, forgot about that. JB did mention earlier we check out the Manchester Grand Hyatt, but I'm all for waiting to book. I was more curious the location people were interested in staying. Mostly just trying to drum up conversation because I have to have some way to pass the day waiting for August :)

I don't forsee there being a thp rage anywhere just due to the small number of rooms that would be blocked

So, hotel on our own? I can figure that out!

So, hotel on our own? I can figure that out!

I mentioned a few hotels in an earlier thread. See if any sound good to you. Nothing set in stone, just my initial thoughts.

I don't forsee there being a thp rage anywhere just due to the small number of rooms that would be blocked

Cutting and pasting from the main event thread:

Lodging
While this is not a stay and play event, we know that many THPers will be traveling in and will look for a place to stay. Once the signup is complete, we can coordinate and assist the best options based on location for the events of the week.

I realize that with the small number of rooms there likely won't be a THP rate, but what does "coordinate and assist the best options based on location" mean in the above? Should we just go ahead and book on our own, or are there going to be suggested hotels from THP?

Cutting and pasting from the main event thread:

Lodging
While this is not a stay and play event, we know that many THPers will be traveling in and will look for a place to stay. Once the signup is complete, we can coordinate and assist the best options based on location for the events of the week.

I realize that with the small number of rooms there likely won't be a THP rate, but what does "coordinate and assist the best options based on location" mean in the above? Should we just go ahead and book on our own, or are there going to be suggested hotels from THP?
I'll let JB or GG jump in and answer that.

I won't be able to join on Sat in SD.
I am still planning on Wed twilight round.
Looking forward to this - lots of good THP over the summer!!

I'm not sure who is booking the 2nd group. It may be sandiegonative but I'm not sure. I'm with you on getting the PM rounds booked at the South course.

I do know that they can only book on round per day (odd policy they can at the public courses but it is what it is I guess)

Sorry I didn't see there was questions about the golf for Saturday. Personally, I can't book another time using my resident card for Saturday ($30/person fee) but if someone else wants to call and secure it, I think they would but fee jumps to $43/person in group.

#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

Sorry I didn't see there was questions about the golf for Saturday. Personally, I can't book another time using my resident card for Saturday ($30/person fee) but if someone else wants to call and secure it, I think they would but fee jumps to $43/person in group.

Non residents can't book twilight rates except for 3 days prior. We can book, but will have to pay full south rate. I'm cool with it. Sucks though.

Can you and SD native move your tee times to twilight on the South? If so, two of us can book the North AM times.

Non residents can't book twilight rates except for 3 days prior. We can book, but will have to pay full south rate. I'm cool with it. Sucks though.

Can you and SD native move your tee times to twilight on the South? If so, two of us can book the North AM times.

that can't be done. It's non refundable. We will have to figure something out for PM.

Back