#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

that can't be done. It's non refundable. We will have to figure something out for PM.

Seems like we really only have 2 options...

1) We bite the bullet, pay the extra $90 and book a tee time for early afternoon (before twilight)
2) SanDiegoNative could use his resident pass to book the South Course PM round. Obviously he wouldn't have to play this round and we'd pay him back. This is kinda bending the rules though and I wouldn't want to get someone in trouble with the course for doing this (I don't know how strict they are with this). I would then book the AM round on the North Course and it would only be an extra $13 per person for the booking fee.

I guess there is a 3rd option. Roll the dice and wait for 3 days in advance and have one of us non-residents book it. We just don't have any idea if there will be tee times. For me, I'd rather pay the extra $90 than wait this late.

#TheHandCraftedExperience Travel / Extra Rounds and Activities Thread

that can't be done. It's non refundable. We will have to figure something out for PM.

No worries.

One option is to book a twilight round at a different course close by as a backup and wait till 3 days prior to see if anything is open at Torrey or we can book a full rate time now for say 1:30 and just eat the cost. I'm up for anything. Just putting options out there.

Edit: I think we posted at the same time. I'm open for anything and will follow the group's wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer on the tee time issues. I will say that I have no problem playing only the North in the AM (since I've committed) if there are folks who are dead set on the South. Then I'll just play somewhere else in the afternoon if anyone wants to join me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm going to take myself out of the afternoon round on Saturday. I'm thinking 3 rounds in 4 days there will be enough for me. I'll hang around the course though for anyone who'll need a ride afterward though.

You're a gem, Barry!

So, if I'm reading it correctly, only 4 of us remain for Saturday:

SkiBumGolfer
cpljohnst (AM only)
chumphries
StanTheCaddy

As it stands right now, STC is out in the cold for the morning, as Courtney, Barry, and I are committed to the AM TP North round. Sandiegonative (or someone else) could still book an afternoon round at the South, but then STC would still be hanging for the morning. Not sure if there's any chance he'd get on as a single, but maybe we could try that too.

The other option is sandiegonative / other person could book with STC for right after us on TP North, and we could all figure out sleeve else to play for the afternoon (or do non golf stuff).

MOrgan has confirmed there will not be a THP preferred hotel for this one so you guys are able to choose what works best for you.

thanks

Thanks for confirming, Mike.

Anybody out there have any strong hotel preferences? There's a Best Western Plus in La Jolla that's 2 blocks from the beach for $190/night, or one in Mission Bay that's more like $120/night if we want to be cheaper.

As I said, if pressed I will choose a Best Western because of points but I'm not too picky overall.

I don't mind at all what is picked. Hopefully someone will let me crash Thursday night. I would obviously compensate

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't mind at all what is picked. Hopefully someone will let me crash Thursday night. I would obviously compensate

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For sure mate. You need Friday night too I presume?

EDIT: Disregard, I misread. You only need Thursday.

I wonder if any of the Project X/TT guys would want to play Saturday? That'd definitely change booking plans. I've sent out a PM to see if anyone booked a 2nd AM tee time at the north course and asking if Ale or SDNative are interested in playing Saturday PM (at either Torrey South or elsewhere). Once I hear back from them, I'll report back and we can all go from there.

I circle back to the hotel conversation later. It seems like there is no objection to staying near Torrey/Project X Weds/Thurs/Fri night and downtown Sat night. Although, with everyone having disjoint Saturday afternoon plans, it may be easier to stay the whole time at the same hotel.

Did a little hotel price checking on Kayak this morning. The Hyatt Regency La Jolla is $162 a night for a Wednesday - Sunday stay. Same rate if we did Wednesday - Saturday there and moved downtown for a night.

Hotel is only 3.5 miles to Torrey and 6 miles to Project X HQ.

Edit: A little more checking. The $162 is an Advance rate and King bed only. For 2 queen beds its $182. No changes or cancellations.
There is a AAA Rate if you are a AAA member of $182 (2 queens) which allows cancellations. I'm a AAA member and can book up to 2 rooms at that rate.

Last edited:
MOrgan has confirmed there will not be a THP preferred hotel for this one so you guys are able to choose what works best for you.

thanks

Correct. We figured some might want to stay in downtown San Diego. Some might want to be near True Temper's HQ, others might have friends somewhere, etc. So since we have such an intimate group for this one, we are not going to partner with a hotel.

Did a little hotel price checking on Kayak this morning. The Hyatt Regency La Jolla is $162 a night for a Wednesday - Sunday stay. Same rate if we did Wednesday - Saturday there and moved downtown for a night.

Hotel is only 3.5 miles to Torrey and 6 miles to Project X HQ.

Edit: A little more checking. The $162 is an Advance rate and King bed only. For 2 queen beds its $182. No changes or cancellations.
There is a AAA Rate if you are a AAA member of $182 (2 queens) which allows cancellations. I'm a AAA member and can book up to 2 rooms at that rate.
I am a AAA member also, so that could work. The AAA rate for the Best Western Plus in La Jolla is pretty similar as well.

I've no problem staying in La Jolla, really nice spot and not far from Torrey or Miramar. Unless folks want to save a little coin, in which case the Mission Bay area looks to be a little cheaper but similarly centrally located. Probably not as nice though. What do we think?

Also, who should be splitting? I figure we should try and line up schedules add much as possible.

I am a AAA member also, so that could work. The AAA rate for the Best Western Plus in La Jolla is pretty similar as well.

I've no problem staying in La Jolla, really nice spot and not far from Torrey or Miramar. Unless folks want to save a little coin, in which case the Mission Bay area looks to be a little cheaper but similarly centrally located. Probably not as nice though. What do we think?

Also, who should be splitting? I figure we should try and line up schedules add much as possible.

I think there are 4 of us who are at least Wednesday-Sunday: me, Barry (cpljohnst), Ryan (SkiBum), and Tim (Stan) so it makes sense for the four of us to stay/book and share 2 cars together.

James (Jman), Dave (Spivey), and Awkward (I can't recall if I've seen your name) have varying schedules and can probably share some rooms in there somewhere.

I think there are 4 of us who are at least Wednesday-Sunday: me, Barry (cpljohnst), Ryan (SkiBum), and Tim (Stan) so it makes sense for the four of us to stay/book and share 2 cars together.

James (Jman), Dave (Spivey), and Awkward (I can't recall if I've seen your name) have varying schedules and can probably share some rooms in there somewhere.

Makes sense to me! Are you thinking of staying in La Jolla or would you rather save some money and go to Mission Bay or somewhere else?

Makes sense to me! Are you thinking of staying in La Jolla or would you rather save some money and go to Mission Bay or somewhere else?

No preference. I can hang out just about anywhere.

No preference. I can hang out just about anywhere.

Same for me, pretty much. I'll have to think on it some more. Barry, I'm guessing you'd prefer La Jolla?

Same for me, pretty much. I'll have to think on it some more. Barry, I'm guessing you'd prefer La Jolla?

Not a huge preference. Cost difference in hotels seems to be about $40-$60 less in the Mission Bay area. About a 15 mile to 18 mile drive to Torrey/Project X locations.

Looking at a map to familiarize myself, I say we either stay in La Jolla/Del Mar due to proximity to PX/Torrey or stay downtown (closer to restaurants/airport).

Here were my initial two thoughts. We don't have to use these hotels, but you can lookup where their location is to see what I had in mind:

Downtown: Hotel Indigo. Currently less than $200. About a 3-4 minute drive from the airport. It has really good trip advisor reviews.

Torrey/Project X: Hilton Garden Inn (San Diego Del Mar). Around $203 a night (plus taxes/fees). Also really good trip advisor reviews.

I can get points for both, but that's not a requirement for me. Just take a look at their location and see what you think (or if you see somewhere else close by you prefer).

Looking at a map to familiarize myself, I say we either stay in La Jolla/Del Mar due to proximity to PX/Torrey or stay downtown (closer to restaurants/airport).

Here were my initial two thoughts. We don't have to use these hotels, but you can lookup where their location is to see what I had in mind:

Downtown: Hotel Indigo. Currently less than $200. About a 3-4 minute drive from the airport. It has really good trip advisor reviews.

Torrey/Project X: Hilton Garden Inn (San Diego Del Mar). Around $203 a night (plus taxes/fees). Also really good trip advisor reviews.

I can get points for both, but that's not a requirement for me. Just take a look at their location and see what you think (or if you see somewhere else close by you prefer).

My preference is to stay closer to Torrey/Project X Wed, Thurs, and Friday night. I don't mind a hotel change for Saturday night, but I'm also good to just stay out there all the way to Sunday morning. Looks to me like paying around $190 to $210 a night is the best we are going to do in that area. With it being summer vacation time I have been unsuccessful getting any discounts.

My preference is to stay closer to Torrey/Project X Wed, Thurs, and Friday night. I don't mind a hotel change for Saturday night, but I'm also good to just stay out there all the way to Sunday morning. Looks to me like paying around $190 to $210 a night is the best we are going to do in that area. With it being summer vacation time I have been unsuccessful getting any discounts.

I prefer staying at the same hotel the whole time. I'm sure there will be plenty to do around La Jolla/Del Mar, plus it'd make things a bit simpler Saturday afternoon coordinating the different afternoon golf rounds and evening activities.

Not a huge preference. Cost difference in hotels seems to be about $40-$60 less in the Mission Bay area. About a 15 mile to 18 mile drive to Torrey/Project X locations.

Didn't realize it was that far. La Jolla sounds like a better move, I'm willing to pay $40-60 a night (really $20-30 since we're splitting) so we don't have to drive twice as far.

I will say about downtown, if I'm staying there it's probably only for Saturday night - we'll have to be in either Miramar or La Jolla really early on all three mornings, so it'll be much easier to be close by.

EDIT: Just saw the above. Lets stay in La Jolla or nearby for the duration.

I've done some more looking, and I may have found a really good option. It looks like traffic times can be a real pain getting to True Temper (10-15 minutes plus from a lot of the hotels we've looked at, and 20-30 minutes from the coastal or del mar hotels).

What does anyone think about this hotel: https://goo.gl/maps/pGgJQ

It's like one minute from True Temper.

I've done some more looking, and I may have found a really good option. It looks like traffic times can be a real pain getting to True Temper (10-15 minutes plus from a lot of the hotels we've looked at, and 20-30 minutes from the coastal or del mar hotels).

What does anyone think about this hotel: https://goo.gl/maps/pGgJQ

It's like one minute from True Temper.

And we can walk to Chilis!!! :alien:

I'm fine with whatever. Honestly, it's not like we'll be spending much time at the hotel. Seems a little pricy to be in the middle of business park land though haha

Back