POKeefe

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently have these clubs that I'd like to use:

Callway Diablo Draw 10* Driver
Nickent 4DX 1 IW
Odyssey White Hot Tour #9

In between, I need to fill in the gaps. I decided against spending a ridiculous amount of money, so my options are sets like the Callaway X-20's and the Adams a7os's. From my experience, I'm fine with regular irons, but anything blade like and I'm terrible with. I could go Fybrid 5 wood, Nickent 5DX 4,5,6, and the Adams a7os 6-PW then grab the Nike SV Tour SW, or go with the X-20 4-SW and figure out the hybrid configuration from there. I loved the Diablo Edges and hated the Burners for reference when I demo'ed clubs. I just can't bring myself to spend that much money.

The a7OS set usually has a 3h & 4h and the 5i-7i are "hybrid irons". In other words, you could have everything in one set. I would definitely check them out.

I have the a3OS, which has 3h, 4h, & 5h and the 6i-8i are "hybrid irons". I don't use the hybrids since I like the Wilson Fybrids. My distance gaps are actually really good from 3W and up. You can get the A3OS set pretty cheap. I also saw a few 6i-PW sets on ebay that were going for 100.00 or so. Then you could pick up some hybrids. I would definitely recommend that you check out the Wilson Staff Fybrids. They are very easy to hit and a great value these days.

Timmy the putterman has them for $220 + shipping with the 6-PW. RBG has the Fybrid 5W for $45, so I will probably jump on that to fill the 14*-20* gap.

I would definitely recommend that you check out the Wilson Staff Fybrids. They are very easy to hit and a great value these days.

+1
im no help on your iron decision but I can say that i ended up going with the FYbrids as well. I hit them and the Nickent 4dx's at the same time and they had a better feel to me. That being said, If you already like the Nickent you have id say stick with them. (If you can find them that is.) But if you decide to go with the FYbrids hit Budgetgolf.com. only $45 each!!!!!! :clapp:

budget golf also has 10 percent off this weekend. I purchased my fybrid 4 from them earlier in the year. One of my favorite clubs

I only bought the Nickent 4DX since it was cheap and I'd like to try it to compare it to a 3-Wood as a possible replacement since I have an issue with hitting a 3-wood consistently off the deck. I'll check out budget golf though, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Budget doesn't have anything in between 18* and 27* Regular Flex in stock :/. That's why I was thinking grabbing the Fybrid 5W, then grabbing the Nickent 5DX 4, 5, 6.

Timmy the putterman has them for $220 + shipping with the 6-PW. RBG has the Fybrid 5W for $45, so I will probably jump on that to fill the 14*-20* gap.

If you are looking to save some money, you can probably get the a3OS for about 100.00 less from Tim. 6-PA sets were going for around 100.00 on his ebay store. I doubt there is a huge difference between the two sets.

Take this for what it's worth (me saying what I would have done looking back). I would get the a3OS 6-PW, and a 3h, 4h, 5h Fybrids. I have a 2H(bridge club), which is just has just a bit more loft than the 5W and I hardly ever use it. I can hit the 4h in the 180+ range, and to be honest, I don't really ever go for much more distance off the fairway. Your gap would be 15° to 21°, which isn't bad at all. Again, this is just my opinion and you should really try these out beforehand if possible.

Another thing about the setup above is that you have more room and short end of your bag to play around. Maybe get a Niblick or a few wedges?

I've got a Nickent 15* and FYbrid 18* so far. Has anyone tried the a3os's compared to the 7's?

Final call between the Diablo Edge's 5-PW vs. the a7os 6-PW. Edge's are $350 + shipping, a7os are $215 + shipping. Going to be pairing them with the 4-6H Nickent 5DX's. Any opinions for the guy who can be on track for the 90's then implode ugly with the irons? Currently using Top Flite XL CB's that came with the set they released a few yrs ago.

Im not going to try and sway you out of two quality iron sets, but out of curiosity, have you thought about the Nickent 4DX CBs since you clearly like their other products. They can be had inexpensively and are an iron set packed with technology and created by an icon in this industry.

I'm just worried they won't be forgiving enough. I know I crush my hybrids, 3-wood, and crushed the DE's when I hit them off the monitor. I was only 8 over through the first 6 holes and I usually shoot about a 110 and then I had a full on implosion... because I had to start hitting my irons. I don't have any confidence in them at all and the ball feels horrible coming off of them. First 6 holes I only hit Driver, FW, 4H, PW, and Putter pretty much, lol. Once I had to pull out the 6-iron things got ugly.

If that is the case, then there are definitely other sets out there that are perfect as well. The Cleveland HB3 would be an immediate choice, as would the Taylormade Burner Superlaunch. But again, I am not going to try and sway you, you are looking at solid sets right now.

If that is the case, then there are definitely other sets out there that are perfect as well. The Cleveland HB3 would be an immediate choice, as would the Taylormade Burner Superlaunch. But again, I am not going to try and sway you, you are looking at solid sets right now.

The Cleveland HB3 hybrid set looks almost illegal to play as they look so easy to hit :eek:)!!!!!

I really did not like the Burner Plus irons when I hit them. They were probably my least favorite ones hit.

I really did not like the Burner Plus irons when I hit them. They were probably my least favorite ones hit.

They were not my favorite either. I actually did not like them at all. The Superlaunch to me are totally different.

I'm just wondering if a Iron-Hybrid set like the HB3's or a7os's or if a more traditional set like the Superlaunch's or DE's would be better. I liked both the hybrid-irons and DE's when I hit them.

The other thing is the a7os's are much cheaper than all the other sets we've talked about. They are kind of the favorite right now, so somebody tell me the cons and attempt to talk me out of it just so I know I'm making the right decision lol.

Personally I would hit the ones you mentioned and not let the cost effect your end decision. I think it would be wiser not to rush into buying the cheaper model. Later you may wish you had saved the extra bucks to get what you really need to play your best golf :eek:).........

Closest place that would have all of them is at least a 45 minute drive. The HB3's are very tough to find at a good price compared to the other clubs.

Honestly, I've settled on the Adams a7os's now. They're priced right from a reliable seller and they have top reviews across the board. Also knowing the way I hit, they are probably the best option. I now need 3 hybrids to fill in the 18* to 28* gap. I was thinking the Nickent 5DX's... think those would work fine for me J.B.?

My sig is updated with all my decisions on clubs. I just couldn't beat the bang for buck out of the clubs I bought. I am also looking at picking up some kind of a sand wedge for $60 or less... suggestions? Should get most of it by Friday and will let you know how my round on Friday goes. Thanks for some of the suggestions... probably would not have gone with the Nickent Hybrids if not for the positive opinions of them on here. Ended up spending under $600 for my entire sig set of clubs.

Just went to the range and tried out the new clubs. The 4DX was whatever. I will probably end up getting a new 3W in the fall as the ball doesn't fly off it that well. The FYbrid and Diablo are HOT. Ball flies and my slice is almost gone. I know people exaggerate about extra yardage, but due to a significant slice turning into a small fade, yardage gain was great. Playing my first round with it tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The FYbrid and Diablo are HOT. Ball flies and my slice is almost gone. I know people exaggerate about extra yardage, but due to a significant slice turning into a small fade, yardage gain was great.

Seconding the FYbrids. Just hit the range and WOW is all i can say...

I'm going to try to wait to find a FYbrid 3W cheap and buy it probably. I wish Rockbottom had them :/.

I have to agree on the FYbrid when I got mine last week I took it to the range and it was significantly better than my previous 3 wood. Will get to see how it does in the deeper cuts this weekend on the course.

Back