Do you invest in golf clubs?

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Something that's come up in a handful of threads is a club's value on the secondary market, and people lamenting that a company's frequent releases drives down a club's value.

So the question is, do you expect a financial return on investment (ROI) from your clubs? What is an acceptable ROI for you? Does it drive your decision making in terms of club purchases -- that is, would you buy a certain company over another with an expectation that one company's products will retain value? Would you compromise performance for value over time?

I could care less about them retaining their value. I keep most of my clubs for a few years so they probably wouldn't be worth much anyway. When I do get new ones I look for someone to give them to rather than sell them.

My clubs are pampered but I will not hesitate to play a shot because my club might get nicked or scraped. Only time I might worry is if I put an idiot mark on the my woods and that's just because I'm a huge club ho and tend to do thru fwys and drivers quite frequently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There can be no investment on any item that loses value over time. I buy clubs for their looks and performance. Sometimes too much on looks ;)

If you are investing your money in golf clubs, might I suggest some nice swamp land for your portfolio.

Buying new clubs is like buying a car. As soon as you use it the first time, significant depreciation occurs. The only money that can be made from golf clubs is finding a premium used club at a steal of a price then selling it for a little profit.

Last edited:
For me, I do not except much return on investment with clubs. I know the value goes down deeply after leaving the store such as a car leaving the lot.

I don't look at clubs I buy as an investment at all. I'll get disappointed when I see a sale or price drop after a recent purchase but I get over it pretty quickly. I try to (but don't always) wait for a sale or promo to avoid paying full price on current models.

For me, I spend a huge amount of money on my golfing hobby and passion. That isn't to say that I'm a great golfer. Now with that said...

I just hope to get my enjoyment out of the clubs and then if I sell them I subtract my enjoyment from the purchase price and I always come out on top. My pleasure from the equipment is more valuable than the money I could make. I have 5 putters all of which cost way more than I should've spent but I enjoy looking at them. I enjoy taking them to to course and missing putts with them. That is worth the world to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Financial return? No because I do not go in with the intent on making money via resale. The money I spend on equipment is to help me improve. I've learned to only purchase after extensive testing to be sure it's right for me. When I can score lower than my buddies, the time and effort is all worth it. That's my return on investment right there... more intrinsic than anything.

I do occasionally. I have a guy who lives near me that buys clubs from estate sales and all over the place, when he has crazy cheap deals I buy clubs and flip them on ebay immediately

No, I don't consider clubs an investment as I am not one to change them on a regular basis

Having said that, I actually got more for the irons that I have just got rid of than I paid for them probably 8-9 years ago

Investment, no. They depreciate faster than a new car.

I buy a club purely because I want it to perform well. If in a little while I find one that performs better I will save up and buy that one. If I can get even a couple of pounds back from the old one then I'm happy. Once it's bought, it's bought. Absolutely zero investment intent with me at all.

Nope considering the value drops significantly once purchased and continues to drop from there. I buy clubs that will work/perform for me and if/when I sell/trade in the club I have a idea of what it's worth and accept the value.

No I don't buy them for investment purposes but it frustrates me that a club I bought a month ago for over $400 dollars is worth less than half that in trade value, depreciation is a fact of life but that to me is absurd.

Last edited:
Only as an investment in my game! I can honestly say I have never purchased a club basing it on what it would be worth to re-sell / trade in.

Never occurred to me to think of them as an investment, depreciation is rapid on all brands, it may be slightly slower with Ping and Titleist because of the 2 year release cycles but they go down in value too. If they were an investment I would be rich if I cashed in all of the old sets and individual clubs I have. I need to give them to the Boys & Girls Club so they will have value again to someone.

No. Golf clubs are not investments.

Definitely not. When I get a club I'm hoping I will play it for a while. That pretty much eliminates any ROI.

Only as an investment in my game! I can honestly say I have never purchased a club basing it on what it would be worth to re-sell / trade in.

This 100%

Oh, lord no. With the beating I put on them and the sandy / rocky conditions in places, I'd die a little ever round if they were an investment.
If I was buying with the certain knowledge I'd be switching again, I might go Ping / Titleist to try and maximize the resale value, but even there...that's damage control, not investing.

I think the phrasing might be "I don't take the resale value into account when I buy clubs". I'm buying clubs for me, not the next guy.

I think "investment" is the wrong word here. I DO NOT invest in golf equipment in any way. However, I DO care about potential resale value of my clubs because most clubs in my bag have a 2 year shelf life at most. I'm not expecting to get 75% back or even 50% back in some cases but it's nice when you want to move on to something else if you are able to recoup a little cash.

Could the money I won while playing with them count? lol

Heck no! Seems like I would lose a crap load of money lol.

Back