2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for blugold, but from what I've read in this thread it sounds like running would be less than ideal for your goal to gain solid mass. Sprinting sounds like it would be much more beneficial for you.
I know for me personally, i do little to no cardio. I cant afford to be burning calories without lifting haha.

Funny you should mention that, I'd not tried it until last night at the shop when the guy laced em up that way. I was like "what the heck did you just do?" and he said it was the lace lock. I really liked the feel of it for the little bit of jogging I did to get a feel for the shoes.

Totally agree. I've always just bought whatever felt good off the rack and was on sale, but I've been having some weird tendon pain near my left knee running in my old shoes, so I decided to try having an expert opinion this time. Found out I'm a neutral pronator, and that the shoes I was wearing are a size and a half too big... :banghead:

These are pretty much going to be exclusively for road and trail running. Possibly some gym use. But no casual wear, I want them to last as long as possible for running. Why do you ask?
I was worried that you would squat or deadlift in running shoes.

I can't speak for blugold, but from what I've read in this thread it sounds like running would be less than ideal for your goal to gain solid mass. Sprinting sounds like it would be much more beneficial for you.
You're very correct. But running wasn't my main concern.

But long distance cardio is not a good idea for anybody looking to gain mass or skeletal muscle strength

I know for me personally, i do little to no cardio. I cant afford to be burning calories without lifting haha.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider not running. I know it's not ideal for mass gains, but I just enjoy it, plus I'm only looking to gain a relatively small amount. I don't run super long distances (only about 15 miles a week), so I shouldn't be burning crazy calories. Plus I always eat a pile of food after running haha

I was worried that you would squat or deadlift in running shoes.

No sir, definitely not. Since it's been introduced, what should I be squatting/deadlifting in?

Honestly, I wouldn't consider not running. I know it's not ideal for mass gains, but I just enjoy it, plus I'm only looking to gain a relatively small amount. I don't run super long distances (only about 15 miles a week), so I shouldn't be burning crazy calories. Plus I always eat a pile of food after running haha

No sir, definitely not. Since it's been introduced, what should I be squatting/deadlifting in?
If you want to be as safe as possible Do-Wins serve the purpose perfectly

If you want to be as safe as possible Do-Wins serve the purpose perfectly

Thanks. Let's say I didn't want to buy lifting shoes (not saying I wouldn't, but just for argument's sake) - what would be a decent stand in?

I have this question as well, I have very frequently worn my running shoes to the gym. And it may show total ignorance on my part, but what is wrong with running shoes?

Thanks. Let's say I didn't want to buy lifting shoes (not saying I wouldn't, but just for argument's sake) - what would be a decent stand in?
Chucks are OK.

But I cannot really recommend squating or pulling in anything except for proper footwear

I have this question as well, I have very frequently worn my running shoes to the gym. And it may show total ignorance on my part, but what is wrong with running shoes?
Do a pushup on the hard floor. Now go and try a pushup on a mattress .

Weightlifting shoes give you a much more stabile platform to work on. Running shoes tend to be very squishy. There is no predictability in which direction they will squish. If I'm going to put 140% of my bodyweight on my shoulders, I want as much predictability as possible.

That is something I had never even considered. Running shoes have a lot of cushion in them, and for this we want the opposite. Thanks.

Makes perfect sense. So the key is something with a pretty firm feel, and I'm guessing a pretty significant toe drop.

Of course, this is all just academic unless I pony up for a gym membership.

Makes perfect sense. So the key is something with a pretty firm feel, and I'm guessing a pretty significant toe drop.

Of course, this is all just academic unless I pony up for a gym membership.
Chuck Taylors. Short of dedicated lifting shoes, Chucks work great.

Adidas Sambas are also a pretty good choice. If you need something you can run in as well as lift, the Reebok Crossfit Nano series is a good shoe, or the Merrell Trail Glove. Worth nothing: lifting shoes do have a raised heel, some guys like it, some guys don't. If you feel like you need a raised heel (running shoes would call it a significant toe drop) you're not likely to be able to get it with a running shoe without getting a ton of the padding & shock absorption that running shoe manufacturers pack into the heel of running shoes. If you don't feel like you need a raised heel in your shoe, you're far more likely to be able to find a running shoe that meets your weightlifting needs.

I'm an exercise shoe nerd. The only thing I don't own is lifters, because I don't like weightlifting with a raised heel. I too am stuck fighting the battle of finding a fitness shoe I can use for lifting fairly heavy that I can still perform running and other exercises with. Unfortunately, a reconstructed ankle from a few years ago keeps me from going to a full minimalist shoe, as I need some padding to keep the ankle from feeling like someone hit it with a sledgehammer if I put in some road mileage.

I love the Merrrills for general gym shoes, especially if I'm going to be running at all. I'm a big fan of the Nanos for lifting but the soles are more rigid than I'd like for some other stuff.

Chuck Taylors. Short of dedicated lifting shoes, Chucks work great.

Adidas Sambas are also a pretty good choice. If you need something you can run in as well as lift, the Reebok Crossfit Nano series is a good shoe, or the Merrell Trail Glove. Worth nothing: lifting shoes do have a raised heel, some guys like it, some guys don't. If you feel like you need a raised heel (running shoes would call it a significant toe drop) you're not likely to be able to get it with a running shoe without getting a ton of the padding & shock absorption that running shoe manufacturers pack into the heel of running shoes. If you don't feel like you need a raised heel in your shoe, you're far more likely to be able to find a running shoe that meets your weightlifting needs.

I'm an exercise shoe nerd. The only thing I don't own is lifters, because I don't like weightlifting with a raised heel. I too am stuck fighting the battle of finding a fitness shoe I can use for lifting fairly heavy that I can still perform running and other exercises with. Unfortunately, a reconstructed ankle from a few years ago keeps me from going to a full minimalist shoe, as I need some padding to keep the ankle from feeling like someone hit it with a sledgehammer if I put in some road mileage.
http://m.adidas.com/us/powerlift-2.0-shoes/B39760.html

1/2" heel

Quick update. Still working on back injury recovery, still lacking flexibility in hamstrings, hips and lower back to properly get down for deadlifts safely. I am working towards that step by step. My first goal is reactivating my tight hips and rebuilding lost leg and core strength. Everything st this point is body weight exercise. It sounds pretty meak but my best exercise I am working in is climbing stairs 2 at a time. I have a good steep long flight at work. Climbing it 3-4 times an hour. I am also doing body weight squats and small jump and turns. Also lots and lots of stretching and core stabilization work, planks and what not. I can feel the strength coming back.

I had a huge wake up call when I played recently and realized I've lost about 35-40 yards off the tee since last year pre injury. Not cool!

Quick update. Still working on back injury recovery, still lacking flexibility in hamstrings, hips and lower back to properly get down for deadlifts safely. I am working towards that step by step. My first goal is reactivating my tight hips and rebuilding lost leg and core strength. Everything st this point is body weight exercise. It sounds pretty meak but my best exercise I am working in is climbing stairs 2 at a time. I have a good steep long flight at work. Climbing it 3-4 times an hour. I am also doing body weight squats and small jump and turns. Also lots and lots of stretching and core stabilization work, planks and what not. I can feel the strength coming back.

I had a huge wake up call when I played recently and realized I've lost about 35-40 yards off the tee since last year pre injury. Not cool!
Can you touch the middle of your shins with straight legs?

That's about where I am now, getting better quickly. Couple weeks ago couldn't get more than 1" past knees.

That's about where I am now, getting better quickly. Couple weeks ago couldn't get more than 1" past knees.
Good. Put standard 45# plates on a standard Olympic bar. If you can grab that bar with straight legs, you're ready to start deadlifting.

Check out Ani brand shoes as well, they are flatter than chucks and (if you can find a discount code) much cheaper than buying dedicated lifting shoes, at least until you really get into it.

As Joe said previously, form first then Add weight. Makes a world of difference and you're more likely to avoid injury, which would mean missing golf, which would be bad!

Good luck!!

I'm off to a 5:45am boxing and circuit training workout in the AM to supplement my lifting regimen.

Check out Ani brand shoes as well, they are flatter than chucks and (if you can find a discount code) much cheaper than buying dedicated lifting shoes, at least until you really get into it.

As Joe said previously, form first then Add weight. Makes a world of difference and you're more likely to avoid injury, which would mean missing golf, which would be bad!

Good luck!!

I'm off to a 5:45am boxing and circuit training workout in the AM to supplement my lifting regimen.
To be very clear with all of this shoe discussion. I don't recommend lifting shoes for their flatness. I like a raised heel, it helps engage the quadriceps during squats and cleans. It's the firmness. Squishy shoes are not ideal for strength training.

To be very clear with all of this shoe discussion. I don't recommend lifting shoes for their flatness. I like a raised heel, it helps engage the quadriceps during squats and cleans. It's the firmness. Squishy shoes are not ideal for strength training.

I'm in complete agreement, only offering an alternative to running shoes for those not ready to shell out the money for proper lifting shoes.

I'm learning a bunch today haha. Great info guys.

In other news, these new running shoes felt AWESOME on my quick after work 5k today. Knees felt way better and as a result, ran my typical route in almost a minute faster than the last time I did it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Got in the 5:45am class this morning, lots of core work today (which I need badly) and a good heavy bag session.

Success! A work trip where I didn't gain weight. Back home and on the scales this morning and lost 3lbs while traveling this week. Down 8.5 lbs total now.

That is awesome cpl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back