White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Ok fine people from THP I need your help and advice. I have had a feeling for some time that I am standing too far away from the ball for most shots and this was confirmed today when I was talking to my buddies that I played with this past weekend. I have tried on a few occasions to step closer but it does not feel "right". How do I fix this? What is the "right" distance to be away from the ball at set-up? I know everyone has diferent swings and set-ups but any advice would be apprecited.

For me it's a matter of centering the club face on the ball with my hands hanging comfortable, yet extended. Unless I want to fade the ball, I don't use any wrists, so I want and extended reach with rather stiff arms. Although the driver is not my best club, haha

I'm by no means a pro, but I've had this issue as well....mainly because I don't get out nearly as much as I used to, so I struggle to find that "comfort" zone.

So, sometimes I get a little far from the ball and start to reach too much. I can usually feel when I'm reaching, but sometimes it's hard,mentally, to make the adjustment.

What I've done is: take your normal stance (where you think you're too far from the ball), move your body 2 or 3 inches closer to the ball (feet and all) so that the ball is on the heel of your driver, then straighten your back and stand more upright so the ball winds up in the middle of the clubface. In theory, what this does is get your feet closer to the ball, makes your body more upright, and get your arms in the proper position so they are hanging vertically.

Assuming you have a good stance with a straight back, bent at the waist, etc. generally the butt of your club should be pointing directly at your belt buckle. What this means is that line of the shaft points to your belt buckle (if the shaft was longer it would run into you at your belt buckle). So if you are too far from the ball, it will be pointing below, and too close it will be pointing above your belt.

This is hard to see as the person setting up though, so it helps to have someone behind you telling you where it is pointing, or take pictures/video. When I set up correctly with a short iron, I believe the butt of my club ends up about 1 and a half "fists" from my belt.

Used to have the same problem WR. It felt very wierd to get closer, but it works if you give it a shot. Have somebody take a picture of you looking down the target line. I've been told that you want the distance between the grip of the club and your leg to be about the width of your hand.

I had this problem too and my instructor told me so make a fist and put it against my thigh then stick out my thumb. The butt of the club should be just touching my thumb that is the perfect set-up position. She played on the LPGA tour for a while and she said that is what her coach taught her. It seems to work for me. And everyone is right the butt of the club should be facing your belt buckle and your arms should be able to hang down nicely. I look funny every time I set up to the ball because I almost do the fist and thumb thing but it works.

for the longest time I was too far away from the ball. Now I've learned to just let my arms hang and that's where my set up is

WR, I don't think standing closer feels right for a long time!!!!! I always struggle with it but I can normally tell if I'm too far away because Ill pull the ball. Sucks its after the shot. Great thread because I've learned a few tricks.

And if you get a hosel rocket check to make sure youre not too close, I have a tendency to get too close sometimes and this happens.

an instructor once told me 'if it feels wrong, you're doing it right'. our body/mind looks for the easy way until it's taught properly.
WR, I don't think standing closer feels right for a long time!!!!! I always struggle with it but I can normally tell if I'm too far away because Ill pull the ball. Sucks its after the shot. Great thread because I've learned a few tricks.

an instructor once told me 'if it feels wrong, you're doing it right'. our body/mind looks for the easy way until it's taught properly.

well my mind/body is stubborn and is resistant to change :D but I will work on it!!

My first instructor had told me to stand far enough with my arms hanging down like a loose sweater. Seems to work everytime :)

i think how close you are depends on how you swing like you said in the first post.
think about impact as well as set up. if you set up a bit away from the ball but at impact everything is where it should be then dont worry too much about it.
if at impact your arms are detached to get the ball in the middle of the club then you know you need to move in and stay in sync.
HTH

Back