Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

Amazing video! Looks like alot of fun and friendly competition!

Martsy, water under the bridge. Like I said to you as we neared the patio, I've been there on the losing end twice on Sunday at True Blue. It can be gutting, and it can be difficult to get out of that compete mentality, but both times I would have regretted making the champions wait (looking back). Passion is raw, and so is the celebration that immediately follows.

I want to quickly step in and say that I appreciate the understanding as I reminded groups of pace throughout the day Saturday. JB liked to make the joke that I was 'eager' or 'looking forward' to rangering the field, but the reality of it was, there is no middle ground. It was either be nice or be stern, and unfortunately the job of a ranger is never done well with rainbows and butterflies. It has to be done to make sure we are keeping in pace with our scheduled second rounds (way to put CJ out last and first 441!) and celebration luncheon, as well as making sure that we are not a burden to the two courses who graciously host these events for us. I hope my stern nature when reminding of the pace of play was taken in stride, and I also hope that my insistence of offering my appreciation when you guys worked hard to return to pace was noted as well.

By the end of each round, I don't think we had a single group off pace. Based on some of the outings I've been a part of, I think that's something to be proud of as well.

Martsy, water under the bridge. Like I said to you as we neared the patio, I've been there on the losing end twice on Sunday at True Blue. It can be gutting, and it can be difficult to get out of that compete mentality, but both times I would have regretted making the champions wait (looking back). Passion is raw, and so is the celebration that immediately follows.

I want to quickly step in and say that I appreciate the understanding as I reminded groups of pace throughout the day Saturday. JB liked to make the joke that I was 'eager' or 'looking forward' to rangering the field, but the reality of it was, there is no middle ground. It was either be nice or be stern, and unfortunately the job of a ranger is never done well with rainbows and butterflies. It has to be done to make sure we are keeping in pace with our scheduled second rounds (way to put CJ out last and first 441!) and celebration luncheon, as well as making sure that we are not a burden to the two courses who graciously host these events for us. I hope my stern nature when reminding of the pace of play was taken in stride, and I also hope that my insistence of offering my appreciation when you guys worked hard to return to pace was noted as well.

By the end of each round, I don't think we had a single group off pace. Based on some of the outings I've been a part of, I think that's something to be proud of as well.
Yes! Pace of play was much better than I expected. I love me some fast pace.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Honestly, didn't feel you were that stern, just matter of fact like. I appreciated the rounds were moving along nicely, would have been even more important if the weather was hotter. You did a great job this weekend with the updates, pictures and rangering.

part deux...

As far as my round…what a back and forth. I think the lead changed 6 times over 12 holes. It wasn’t until the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] until Patrick took a 2 hole lead on me with just a gut-wrenching one in a hundred 30 foot uphill putt where I thought I was going to possibly pick up a hole sitting on the green in 2, and ended up losing it. I was really trying not to follow the rounds in front of me because I want to focus on my game, and was anticipating that it would come down to our group, so I knew I was in trouble and needed to step it up. We both hit poor tee shots on the next hole, but I was in the fairway and after to leave myself a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] shot about 30 yards short over bunkers, and Patrick made an unbelievable recovery shot from the woods leaving himself the same. I was getting pop here though and needed to execute. I pulled out my 60 degree…a club I avoided all week because I was too nervous, but this was exactly the situation I got it for, and left myself about 15 feet past the hole for a 2 putt bogey, net par. Patrick went straight for the pin because he had to due to the pop, and was about a yard short of making the perfect chip, but left himself in the bunker and I ended up taking the hole…down 1 into short par 3 14…the “Cookie hole”. I hit one of my best irons of the day, at the pin and just short on the fringe, but a slippery 15 foot downhill putt. Patrick was safely on the green but 40+feet out with lots of undulation. I was thinking 3 putt was a definite possibility…but the guy turned it up a notch on the green on the back 9, leaving himself about a 1 foot lag. I wasn’t planning on giving putts on the back 9 if the match was close…but I had to on this one, it was just such an amazing putt. I putted mine off, and while I’m not sure I could have done better, with the severe curved downhill lie…I left it about 5 feet past. At that point I probably was more nervous than any shot I’d taken all week, because I knew if I missed this and left myself down 2 with 4 to go, I was in serious trouble. Put backswing was anything but straight, but the ball found its way in for par…and onto par 5 15[SUP]th[/SUP] hole. Patrick killed his drive and put it in a better position than I’d seen anyone on that hole in any round all week. Coming off the adrenaline from that previous putt, I topped my drive and maybe got it out 50 yards. I just gave up my pop… Thankfully, my long irons were a highlight for the week and preceded to get on in 4 with 3 good irons shots, but left myself about as long a putt as I could have. Lynchburg had a little trouble after that amazing drive, and ended up leaving himself laying 4 in the sand, and frankly I thought I had this hole locked up. So of course, Patrick hits an amazing shot from the sand, hits the pin, and drops about 8 inches from the hole. In for bogey 6…If I didn’t see it, I would never have believed it. I needed to 2 putt to win, and unfortunately I probably made my worst lag of the week and left myself a 15 foot 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] putt, and ended up 3 putting for double bogey, net bogey. Still down 1 with 3 to go, but if I could just win or push 16, I had pops on 17 and 18, both holes I had played really well in our practice rounds.

It was at this point Ricky drove up and gave us the news…the match was over and we had to come in. I’m not proud of my reaction, but I was in another state and told him there was no possible way I was coming in, and I think Patrick was in the same euphoric state and we ended up putting our bags together and running to 16 par 3 by ourselves.

16[SUP]th[/SUP] tee, was playing 170ish if I recall, and will say I was a bit conflicted off the tee. Angry, yet happy, and definitely unsure what the right thing to do was. I didn’t want to ruin what was one of the best experiences of my life, and honestly I wasn’t’ sure what would ruin it. Not finishing a once in a lifetime match, or being disrespectful to the organization that sponsored the event. I wish I could say it was black and white…but it was not for me. Ricky came back to the teebox and I can’t tell you the amount of respect for this guy I have, and I asked him point blank what I should do. He understood, but he said he’d finish the hole and come in, so that’s what we did. So I tee’d off, hit a solid 6 or 5iron (a bit of a blur to me at this point) to the far right side of the green, and then Patrick continued his roll and hit his iron straight at the flag maybe 20 feet past. I hit my lag pretty well from where I was, but still left myself a 12 footer uphill for par. Patrick against hit a great putt (noticing a trend?) which I again had to give him for par. At this point Canadan was pulling up and it took every ounce of concentration I had to take this put…but put it center of the cup for par as well, down 1 with 2 to go with pops on each…and there it ended as we headed to the clubhouse.

Patrick...it was an absolute pleasure, and to be continued at New Kent!

Now some notes to people I didn’t directly mention in my recap:

Firstly the OEMs – To Bridgestone, Wilson, KBS & Lamkin - amazing representation and beyond any expectation I ever had. I LOVE every aspect of my clubs, heads, shafts and grips. I love the swag, and I truly appreciate not only the knowledge imparted, but the camaraderie provided on Friday. Whatever the ROI is on this, know you have at a minimum one lifelong evangelist for the rest of my golfing days…

Eric (Erky) – glad we got to play that additional round afterwards. You’re the second incentive I have to move down to Tampa. Maybe you and Jed can share that commission. Loved sharing the experience with you brother and can't wait to get together again in the near future.

To the rest of team heritage that I didn’t play a round with – I thought we had the monopoly on Team Tradition for great guys, but how wrong I was. Great bunch of guys, all who I’d like to call my friends and will look to play you all again at a future event.

Mike Dean – I’m glad we got a chance to meet again and interact more than we did at PGA. You clearly meant everything to you team that Ricky did to ours, and it showed. Even though I was on the other team, your encouragement and congratulations was truly appreciated.

Dan (Canadan) – It was a pleasure to meet you, and I truly apologize for snapping at you on the course. I offer no defense other than the fact I was possessed at the time, and you didn’t deserve it. You are a class act, and selflessly came down at the last minute and made this event even more special with your sizable contribution.

JB – Firstly, thank you for everything. This event was truly special, and will be something I never forget for the rest of my life. You know I’m not one to mince words, so let’s call a spade a spade, I know I’m not your favorite forum member. We’ve had our disagreement in various threads, and I sent you a drunken PM one night that was less than courteous because you pissed me off with a post in the NFL thread. Frankly, I thought my THP experience was over after that. Regardless of any personal interference, and I can attest to that to anyone who has second thoughts about the process, the entries into these events are truly fair and legit. And then to win a random pick after already getting into this event for the US Open contest, speaks incredibly to your integrity. That being said, I do disagree with the decision to not let the matches finish, and would be more than willing to give you some more private feedback if you’re interested. But what’s done is done, and ultimately you are responsible for hosting what was the best golf experience of my life. I truly do thank you from the bottom of my heart, and hope when next we meet we can have a been an maybe start over a bit. I will stay away from the NFL thread this year…

Ricky (DevRickus) – this might be the part I start getting most misty eyed…I wanted to win this for you more than anything. And when I saw your emotions on that deck afterwards, it almost brought me to tears. Not Marley and Me tears…but pretty damn close. I am SO happy we got to play that additional round and that we were grouped. It was incredibly cathartic and after we were done, everything seemed so much clearer to me about what this was all about. I will always consider you a dear friend, and thank you for being such a perfect guide along this journey. Keeping it light when it needed to be, getting me to focus when I had to, and being there when I was down. You made a better golfer and better person and that is as much my Legacy as it is yours. You are the captain now… and forever. Thanks Ricky, I love you man.
Damnit Geoff. Why? Why? Why? I'm glad I am sitting alone right now. Thank you for the kind words but you owe me no apologies. No one does. This was about you guys. You played for yourself and for your teammates. At the end of the day you can look yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you accomplished. That's all I wanted for all of you guys.

Given the choice, I'm fairly confident you could have lapped the field twice.
I would love for him and JB to play a round. I bet they could finish in an hour or less.

There are two other things I forgot to add to my recap:

1. The weather is real. We lucked out and caught a cold front on Saturday and Sunday, so we were playing in perfect golf weather. But the practice rounds Thursday (and Wednesday for four nutters from Mike's team) showed what Myrtle Beach can do. I have to say first off, all of you who said I had no idea what I was in for were flat out wrong. 95 and humid in MB feels just like 100 and not as humid in Dallas. We were out there playing those rounds and it felt just like some of the prep rounds I put in earlier this month. But on the other hand, if you aren't lucky enough to live down south, it can be brutal to deal with the heat and perform well. I can say 100% that my first round in the heat in TX didn't go nearly as well as my practice rounds in MB after I'd gotten more acclimated.

2. The grind is super real. 99 holes in four days. NINETY-NINE HOLES IN FOUR DAYS. You'd better be in good golfing shape before an event like this. I did quite a few 54 hole weekends before Legacy and I'm really glad I did. I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but at least with the prep work I did it was doable. I got up Sunday morning feeling physically good and thanked my earlier self for putting in the work to make that possible.

There are two other things I forgot to add to my recap:

1. The weather is real. We lucked out and caught a cold front on Saturday and Sunday, so we were playing in perfect golf weather. But the practice rounds Thursday (and Wednesday for four nutters from Mike's team) showed what Myrtle Beach can do. I have to say first off, all of you who said I had no idea what I was in for were flat out wrong. 95 and humid in MB feels just like 100 and not as humid in Dallas. We were out there playing those rounds and it felt just like some of the prep rounds I put in earlier this month. But on the other hand, if you aren't lucky enough to live down south, it can be brutal to deal with the heat and perform well. I can say 100% that my first round in the heat in TX didn't go nearly as well as my practice rounds in MB after I'd gotten more acclimated.

2. The grind is super real. 99 holes in four days. NINETY-NINE HOLES IN FOUR DAYS. You'd better be in good golfing shape before an event like this. I did quite a few 54 hole weekends before Legacy and I'm really glad I did. I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but at least with the prep work I did it was doable. I got up Sunday morning feeling physically good and thanked my earlier self for putting in the work to make that possible.

About the weather even Wednesday and Thursday was no where near normal and what it has been the past few weeks I had a few practice days that reel feel was 115 . We got Very Very lucky with the weather

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Great recap Cace. You were an awesome opponent and our match was one that I'll never forget. From the moment our names were announced at dinner as Match #2 and our eyes met across the room we both knew it was going to be a battle.

Those moments and memories on the back 9 and especially on 18 are forever ours buddy, and I'm so honored to have shared them with you.

Great recap Cace. You were an awesome opponent and our match was one that I'll never forget. From the moment our names were announced at dinner as Match #2 and our eyes met across the room we both knew it was going to be a battle.

Those moments and memories on the back 9 and especially on 18 are forever ours buddy, and I'm so honored to have shared them with you.
It was alot of fun riding alone with you guys and watching that match play out. I tried to stay out of the way as much as possible and Apologize if I got in your way at all Curtis.

Man I love the recaps. Great stuff. It has gotten dusty in here for me even just reading them as I can feel the emotion. It's amazing how JB and GG keep bringing us incredible events with unbelievable sponsors. It really is something special. It's great how this event went and I look forward to reading more recaps and seeing more pictures.

Absolutely astounding recaps I've read so far. A major THP event like this, with months of prep creates an incredible wave of emotion. Thanks to all who have shared.

It was alot of fun riding alone with you guys and watching that match play out. I tried to stay out of the way as much as possible and Apologize if I got in your way at all Curtis.
Not at all Dev! I could tell you were right into it and just wanted to see great golf.

Damnit Geoff. Why? Why? Why? I'm glad I am sitting alone right now. Thank you for the kind words but you owe me no apologies. No one does. This was about you guys. You played for yourself and for your teammates. At the end of the day you can look yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you accomplished. That's all I wanted for all of you guys.

To the bolded point, Ricky, it's true, that 16 players had what might be the time of their lives, from a golf equipment and golf experience perspective. But, I'm going to go out on what I feel is a damn sturdy limb, and say this... We weren't just doing this for us. I will gauran-damn-tee you that each player grinded for months of prep, and during every single swing of the competition, for you and Mike, because as captains you supported us as a team, as individuals, and even as opponents. Mike and yourself deserved every last bit of effort/energy we could put out there, and I'm sure there was nothing left in the tank when all was said and done.

Dang. Air just got dusty in the office.

On to the people. What can you say, the Legacy was Josh and Morgans. They created this event, and with the help and support of others, gave us the ride of a lifetime. Thank you both. Josh, if I remember correctly, you said this was one of your original ideas, something before the Morgan Cup. It was your legacy, and I hope we made it great for you.

Wilson, Bridgestone, KBS, Lamkin, thank you for providing us equipment and making us feel like Rockstars! Duffy is one cool dude, thanks for picking up the tab. I swear he has been trained by THP in how to deflect questions about future equipment. Listening to Corey talk by the practice green on marketing philosophies/strategies, was just fascinating. And he also knew how to ask the hard questions.

Canadan, that was a spectacular thing you did, to just drop everything and help out. You did a fantastic job and you really were great at providing updates. I didn’t know that until the end of each day, since my phone had 1x (EDGE) for data service there, so I basically didn’t look at THP until I got to the villa each night on wifi.

To the Team Tradition guys, I didn’t really get a chance to speak to you all much. But for those who I did...

Fairband - you are still very chill and laid back. Your short game is really good. You and Dave Alvarado just flat out beat lynchburg and I in alt shot. There’s no other way to put it. But more importantly, you are just one cool dude. Thanks for providing some good conversation and Caledonia, it helped dull the pain of how I was playing that afternoon.

Dave Alvarado - I know I’ve said it to you, as have several other people, you should be very proud of how you played. I was not sure how your game would be, but you far exceeded my expectations. And whatever you do, never give up that calm demeanor, it helps you more than you know.

T2GRN - You are a kind of intense guy on the course, and then chillax off the course. You clearly have a game face. You and Jed gave Curtis and I a run for our money Saturday AM. It was an intense match, and it’s one that I will never forget. Thank you for being a part of it.

Jed - Dude, beast mode on the back at True Blue? Just when it seemed pars would cruise us to victory, you and Kevin just start getting birdie after birdie. I really enjoyed reading Ricky’s story about your confidence Saturday night. You clearly have a great mental game, and I enjoyed playing with you.

G4L - I’m just saying, even though I somehow ended up winning the hole, I would still take a halve on hole 6 on the tee box, right now. You are literally so relaxed in between shots, and you were a great person to compete against. It seemed like no matter what was going on, you stayed relaxed and that actually relaxed me. I’d tee it up with you anytime.

Ricky - Again, thanks for the kind words. Also, I really wanted to say thank you. Everytime I would be in your vicinity, you asked me how I was doing, usually told me to relax. It’s such a small thing, but it meant a lot.

And now for my team.

ArmyGolf (Curtis) - What can I say dude. You may be one of the most clutch people I’ve ever watched golf. I know you put a lot of pressure on yourself, but what really was awesome was how positive you stayed through out our match Saturday morning. Even after blowing a 4 hole lead, you just kept saying we have this. Thank you for that, and thank you for the hours of awesome conversation during our off time. I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation, you’ve definitely earned it.

CJ - nothing like riding a high is there. Great job out there. I hope you never forget what you accomplished out on the course. I wish I could have witnessed it, but everytime Mike came by, it put a little smile on my face.

Shakey - Tom, somewhere in the dictionary under ‘calming force’ is a picture of you. At least on the outside, you appeared to be the best at shaking off petty BS. I know alt shot didn’t work for you on Saturday, but hey, you crushed Patrick and I on Thursday. It was impressive to see you and Ron work together.

Patrick - you are an intense guy. Channel that intensity the right way, and you definitely do great things. I’m sorry we sucked so bad for alt shot. In retrospect, I’m thinking we should have just relaxed and had fun with it. You have to admit, we pulled off some ridiculous shots.

Greg - You just got greggdrewed. I saw that swing a few times. It is smooth and pure for sure. Oh look, Greg is in the fairway.....again. What’s that smell? Oh, you just got Greggdrewed. Dude, you are also a very chill guy. This brings up a point, we were definitely a pretty relaxed ,fun loving group weren’t we? All I can say is, thanks for being you.

Bolt - Ron, you were a calming force for me on Sunday, when I was not playing so well. There is an appropriate mix of competitive edge and just plain fun in you. If THP ever has a speed golf competition, you’d be at the top of my list.

Rambler - I’m proud of you dude. I know you had some struggles, and I’m pretty sure most of that was in your head, but you stepped up in a big way. I’m sorry I never took a breakfast sandwich from you. Nothing good would have come of it for me around hole 8. Yes, we did it. Yes, we will probably not play as well in Iowa. How could we, after laying it all out on the course. I’ll see you in 3 days.

And finally, to Mike - what a great captain. I must have missed the positive part of the positive sandwich when you told us our putting sucked. But jokes aside, you seemed to know how to interact with everybody to get the best out of them. When I was not doing so well, somehow you brought me back from the abyss, and I saw you have that effect on others as well. To give just a small glimpse to everyone, you were actually very positive. You didn’t like our putting, but you seemed to like everything else we did, and you made that known. But the funniest in tournament moment with you, I believe it was Sunday, Ron is walking in a putt with a fist pump, but then the ball 180s around the hole and lips out. Most people would say something like “tough break” or maybe just sit in silence. Not Captain Mike, he just puts it out there “oooooooh, premature fist pump.” It took everything I had not to laugh, but I’ve certainly gotten a chuckle out of it a few times since then. Thank you for everything you’ve done, all the hours of pondering pairings, dealing with our occasionally stupid questions, for putting on conference calls where you did 99% of the talking, and for just giving it your all. It showed, and I think it brought a little more out of your team as a result. Would I have you as my Captain again?

Definitely.

~Rock

Caught up on all the recaps.

JB..That may be the best picture/video recap of any event yet since I've been a member. That song just nailed it.

To all who have shared their experiences thanks so much for taking the time to bring it all back. I know how tough it can be to write the recaps and capture every great thing that happened, yet no make them so long people tune them out.

Mission accomplished on everyone!!

You guys have really mastered the art of these videos. Well done.

This was a great event. Very glad to have followed along via the internets.

Where do I start? The moment I was picked my phone was blowing up. I was in the middle of a meeting and had to excuse myself once I saw the news. I was on cloud 9 for DAYS after being picked. After a few days of calming down I decided I was just going to play and have some fun. I was going to do what I always did play golf on the weekends and shoot whatever I shoot. Well after about a week that went out the window I saw the work the others were putting in so it was time to start doing the same. My prep had a ton of ups and downs with a low point in June where I was honestly playing such bad golf I thought about not even going (only for about 30 seconds) then I realized I need to work even harder to get out of the funk. I put in extra time at the range and on the course and piece by piece it started to come together.

The Wednesday of Legacy week was upon us and I grabbed Captain Mike at the airport in Raleigh to start our 3.5 hour ride down to myrtle (of which the last 70 miles takes 2 hours). Along the way we chatted about everything One thing that I noticed was Mike never wavered in the confidence of us team members in that conversation or all weekend. We got to MB in time for a practice round where Mike proceeded to be the "non playing" captain he is ;) following us around and giving us advice which consisted of dont go left , right , short or long on almost every hole. Shakey and I played Rambler and Gregg in a bit of best ball prep which was a ton of fun. Not real sure of the end results but it was a blast and enough for us to decide these pairings would probably work well on Saturday. I think there was something like 5 bogeys between both teams (best ball) for the entire round the rest was par or better. Wed dinner was a blast with Devs team. The scallops were outstanding and the company even better.

Thursday came and we headed out for practice rounds Gregg and I played best ball in the morning against Rambler and Shakey. Messing with the pairings just to try some different combos out again not sure of the actual result all I know is it was a blast. The afternoon came and Shakey and I went up against Rock and Lynchburg in Alt shot. Tom and I played very well shooting a pretty darn low score even after mailing it in on the last few holes another pairing seemed to be set I would be with Tom all Saturday it appeared.

More to Come

Jed - Dude, beast mode on the back at True Blue? Just when it seemed pars would cruise us to victory, you and Kevin just start getting birdie after birdie. I really enjoyed reading Ricky’s story about your confidence Saturday night. You clearly have a great mental game, and I enjoyed playing with you.

Thanks for the kind words Dan! Glad somebody was there to see one of my best 9's ever lol. I would be so lucky as to have your even keel demeanor on the course, would do me some good bud. It was a pleasure getting to chat a little with you and your wife and dinners and during the round. Very solid playing from you all weekend, congrats!

Dave Alvarado - I know I’ve said it to you, as have several other people, you should be very proud of how you played. I was not sure how your game would be, but you far exceeded my expectations. And whatever you do, never give up that calm demeanor, it helps you more than you know.
Thanks man. If you could have seen me at my first match against #Cookie, or at the East Texas Masters, you'd know just how hard I've worked on the mental side of my game as well as the physical. I'm embarrassed to say I chucked my driver in East Texas and quit after the 9th hole on the second round.

Not letting the highs get too high or the lows get too low and trying to just play one shot at a time is a constant struggle, but I've learned it's how I play my best golf.

These recaps have been great guys. I had a blast following along with the event, and it's been great to get a better idea of what the weekend was like through your eyes.

Loved JB's video recap, he always does a fantastic job on those.

Really enjoyed reading all the players recaps and the photos.

To steal and modify a line from JB's video recap song... To the participants...

I'm sure you had the time of your lives.

Back