Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will serve as host for the participants that would like to share their thoughts on the 2015 THP Legacy event.

Getting misty in my office this morning.

excited for the recaps that will come in this thread

Very nice! It's awesome to see all the guys smiling ear to ear regardless of the outcome.

I'll repost my recap from the live update thread:

So it has taken a whole day for the events of the weekend to really settle in.

First off, I want to thank JB, GG, and Canadan for their hard work putting on this event. It's easy to just show up at the event and focus on playing golf, which really says a lot about the prep work that was put in ahead of time. I also want to thank DevRickus and mikedean441 for the countless hours they put into planning, strategizing, and motivating their teams. These two guys are real class acts--at game time they were there for their team, but what surprised me is that they were there for the other team too. I spent some time on the sides of greens and at tee boxes talking with Mike and came away really impressed. He's a solid guy, but I'm not sure his yardages are accurate on par 3s. :D

I want to just walk through my memories of the weekend to lay down what this event was like for me. Wednesday was the travel day and getting to finally meet my team face-to-face. I had played with Orange Hog before when he was down for the UST event, but everybody else on my team was a stranger to me. We got in some range time Wednesday afternoon, then both teams went out to dinner. Thursday practice rounds were a little nerve-wracking. It was the time for me to show my team the work I had put in and what I could do. We did a shamble on True Blue to keep the pace up, and it was nice getting to use the tee shots of long hitters. I can say that True Blue is a lot easier when you're long in the fairway off every tee. Caledonia was alt shot, and fairband and I played a match against the guys in the other cart and won it. The heat was brutal Thursday, probably what previous MC participants had seen. I was thankful that I got to practice playing 36 holes in Texas heat--mid 90's and 60% humidity in Myrtle Beach feels just like 100 and lower humidity in Dallas, so it wasn't anything new coping with the weather. After playing all that golf we were wiped out, so our team dinner was just pizza at Ricky's condo. We figured out our pairings for Saturday and called it an early night.

Friday, wow. We got to True Blue about an hour early to eat breakfast. Then 16 grown men, both teams in team uniforms, turned into a bunch of 8-year-old boys on Christmas morning in the hallway of the clubhouse. We headed down to get our gear, took some pictures for posterity, then it was off to the races on the range. Wilson Staff and Bridgestone both brought their A game hooking us up with amazing gear. There were smiles all around as people started banging away on range balls. And how cool is it to get tour pro treatment, having your driver dialed in by the guy who does it for the pros? We got to the range at 8am to get our gear, and packed it in a little after noon. It was four hours that felt like about four minutes. Then it was time for a bite to eat and off to play 9 holes with the new gear. I actually struggled a lot with some of my gear--the D200 driver exposed a swing fault that my Adams Blue was covering up. But the D200 irons are amazing, and the wedges and putter from W/S are legit. Friday night was a group dinner at the clubhouse at True Blue, with Duffy from W/S buying drinks for everybody (thanks Duffy!). Matches were announced and we all got stuffed on some great BBQ.

Saturday morning it was game time. My biggest fears came true when I dinked my tee shot to the front edge of the tee box on 1, but I kept on going. Big props to fairband for carrying me around in fourball--I think we used two of my scores out of 18. We sadly got outplayed by CJ and Lynchburg, but we took them to 18. Caledonia was another story--Team Short Grass (as fairband and I were calling ourselves) did the same thing we did to our guys on Thursday and closed out the match with a win against McRock and Lynchburg. Unlike Thursday, we didn't put on a rescue shot clinic--the first 3 or 4 holes of the practice round, we were hitting out of trees, bunkers, bushes, pretty much everything but the fairway. Saturday dinner at the clubhouse at True Blue was awesome again, then we headed back to the villas to talk strategy for Sunday.

Sunday morning I hit the range early to work out the long club issues I had on Friday and Saturday, and thankfully did. I figured out what I was doing wrong with my driver and came up with a swing thought to correct it and banged out some great shots with my 5W that gave me the confidence to pull it on some shots in the match. And oh boy, is that D200 driver a beast when you hit it on the W/S shield in the middle of the face. On one of the holes I striped a drive right over a bunker I had no prayer of clearing before (I was expecting a fade that didn't show up, but thankfully it carried) and was sitting maybe 20 yards back from Ron and Bret, two crazy long hitters. Ron and I were both pushing each other to play our absolute best the whole round. He closed me out 5 and 4 and I didn't feel bad about it at all. I left it all on the course and he beat me fair and square.

This whole trip has been a crazy ride. Team Tradition didn't pull out a win, but the most surprising thing was that on Sunday afternoon back at the clubhouse, I felt nothing but joy getting to play some great rounds of golf with some great people in a great location. This has been a truly amazing experience.

First off, I want to thank JB, GG, and Canadan for their hard work putting on this event. It's easy to just show up at the event and focus on playing golf, which really says a lot about the prep work that was put in ahead of time. I also want to thank DevRickus and mikedean441 for the countless hours they put into planning, strategizing, and motivating their teams. These two guys are real class acts--at game time they were there for their team, but what surprised me is that they were there for the other team too. I spent some time on the sides of greens and at tee boxes talking with Mike and came away really impressed. He's a solid guy, but I'm not sure his yardages are accurate on par 3s. :D

I want to just walk through my memories of the weekend to lay down what this event was like for me. Wednesday was the travel day and getting to finally meet my team face-to-face. I had played with Orange Hog before when he was down for the UST event, but everybody else on my team was a stranger to me. We got in some range time Wednesday afternoon, then both teams went out to dinner. Thursday practice rounds were a little nerve-wracking. It was the time for me to show my team the work I had put in and what I could do. We did a shamble on True Blue to keep the pace up, and it was nice getting to use the tee shots of long hitters. I can say that True Blue is a lot easier when you're long in the fairway off every tee. Caledonia was alt shot, and fairband and I played a match against the guys in the other cart and won it. The heat was brutal Thursday, probably what previous MC participants had seen. I was thankful that I got to practice playing 36 holes in Texas heat--mid 90's and 60% humidity in Myrtle Beach feels just like 100 and lower humidity in Dallas, so it wasn't anything new coping with the weather. After playing all that golf we were wiped out, so our team dinner was just pizza at Ricky's condo. We figured out our pairings for Saturday and called it an early night.

Friday, wow. We got to True Blue about an hour early to eat breakfast. Then 16 grown men, both teams in team uniforms, turned into a bunch of 8-year-old boys on Christmas morning in the hallway of the clubhouse. We headed down to get our gear, took some pictures for posterity, then it was off to the races on the range. Wilson Staff and Bridgestone both brought their A game hooking us up with amazing gear. There were smiles all around as people started banging away on range balls. And how cool is it to get tour pro treatment, having your driver dialed in by the guy who does it for the pros? We got to the range at 8am to get our gear, and packed it in a little after noon. It was four hours that felt like about four minutes. Then it was time for a bite to eat and off to play 9 holes with the new gear. I actually struggled a lot with some of my gear--the D200 driver exposed a swing fault that my Adams Blue was covering up. But the D200 irons are amazing, and the wedges and putter from W/S are legit. Friday night was a group dinner at the clubhouse at True Blue, with Duffy from W/S buying drinks for everybody (thanks Duffy!). Matches were announced and we all got stuffed on some great BBQ.

Saturday morning it was game time. My biggest fears came true when I dinked my tee shot to the front edge of the tee box on 1, but I kept on going. Big props to fairband for carrying me around in fourball--I think we used two of my scores out of 18. We sadly got outplayed by CJ and Lynchburg, but we took them to 18. Caledonia was another story--Team Short Grass (as fairband and I were calling ourselves) did the same thing we did to our guys on Thursday and closed out the match with a win against McRock and Lynchburg. Unlike Thursday, we didn't put on a rescue shot clinic--the first 3 or 4 holes of the practice round, we were hitting out of trees, bunkers, bushes, pretty much everything but the fairway. Saturday dinner at the clubhouse at True Blue was awesome again, then we headed back to the villas to talk strategy for Sunday.

Sunday morning I hit the range early to work out the long club issues I had on Friday and Saturday, and thankfully did. I figured out what I was doing wrong with my driver and came up with a swing thought to correct it and banged out some great shots with my 5W that gave me the confidence to pull it on some shots in the match. And oh boy, is that D200 driver a beast when you hit it on the W/S shield in the middle of the face. On one of the holes I striped a drive right over a bunker I had no prayer of clearing before (I was expecting a fade that didn't show up, but thankfully it carried) and was sitting maybe 20 yards back from Ron and Bret, two crazy long hitters. Ron and I were both pushing each other to play our absolute best the whole round. He closed me out 5 and 4 and I didn't feel bad about it at all. I left it all on the course and he beat me fair and square.

This whole trip has been a crazy ride. Team Tradition didn't pull out a win, but the most surprising thing was that on Sunday afternoon back at the clubhouse, I felt nothing but joy getting to play some great rounds of golf with some great people in a great location. This has been a truly amazing experience.

Dave it was a pleasure to play Sunday singles with you.. You need to be super proud of how far you have come. I will have more to say later but you for sure created a Legacy that will never be forgotten by this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that video was great. I love those things. Also the picture of 441 talking to the group and all I could see was his back sweat. I know Hawk would be proud. Looking forward to reading the recaps you guys post. I know from this end, this event was a freaking blast to follow. You should all be proud.

• Admin
that video was great. I love those things. Also the picture of 441 talking to the group and all I could see was his back sweat. I know Hawk would be proud. Looking forward to reading the recaps you guys post. I know from this end, this event was a freaking blast to follow. You should all be proud.

That was champagne. Both captains were doused in something Canadan and I planned before the big celebration for the winners. They were awesome and deserved it.

that was champagne courtesy of Dan..I hid in the shade all day

and dang it all to heck, what a great video recap

DA, I got to watch you play quite a bit this week. Be VERY VERY PROUD of how you played this weekend. You hit some REALLY solid golf shots out there and I know Sunday you pushed Ron hard to make him win that point.

Perfect song for a perfect weekend. Watched it with a big ole smile on my face and eyes were a little watery.

Awesome recap video. Can't wait to read some additional thoughts from the participants.

Loved the montage video! Definitely can't wait to read all the recaps.

Awesome video, the pics along with that song just make you know what an amazing experience that was for all involved. Well done guys, you should be proud!

What an awesome video.

I have no doubt this was the "time of their lives"!!!

fantastic write-up dave!

Great video! Be prepared for that song to instantly take you back to MB any time you hear it!

My wife just called me 'dude' and said "ya'll" while ordering her breakfast.

She's clearly been hanging out with THPers lol.

My wife just called me 'dude' and said "ya'll" while ordering her breakfast.

She's clearly been hanging out with THPers lol.

Just wait til she starts using the word "pondering"

Hahaha enjoy your time down there buddy! She's a keeper!

Great video as usual. Can't wait for the recaps to start pouring in.

Great video montage!. Looking forward to all the recaps.

Back