The Trouble with Juiced up Simulators

When I used to work at Galaxy, there was a setting where you could add "power" up to like P9. We would hit drivers over the mountains in the background haha. And sometimes some of the guys would use like p1 or p2 to sell an item. I couldn't stand this and always tried to step in and inform the customer. So if your concerned about odd numbers, check on the screen for a "p1-p9". I forget where exactly. But some guys will use it to sell equipment.

At a GolfSmith, I was hitting some 6-irons. A salesperson convinced me to hit some drivers. He setup the sim and said, "let's see how you hit this one." Boom. I hit mainly 270-290 with some over 300. For those who have seen me swing, you know that's absolutely impossible. An absolutely perfect drive for me will go 250. A lot of my drives are in the 225-range. I did not walk out with a new driver.

At a GolfSmith, I was hitting some 6-irons. A salesperson convinced me to hit some drivers. He setup the sim and said, "let's see how you hit this one." Boom. I hit mainly 270-290 with some over 300. For those who have seen me swing, you know that's absolutely impossible. An absolutely perfect drive for me will go 250. A lot of my drives are in the 225-range. I did not walk out with a new driver.

Yep. Smart man. Salesman probably used that setting to convince you to buy. Good move!

Spent some time at the local Golf Galaxy tonight. Decided to hit the former AP2 iron after seeing the 2016 release on THP today and saw some silly roll numbers. When I realized the numbers could get goofy I opted to start taking major cuts at the Ping i3 7 iron, and managed to get it past 200 yards a bunch of times. I also hit tight little fades (my shot shape is a draw) and watched AMart hit draws (his shot shape will ALWAYS be a fade).

f813a9b9b3d51440b730e184b48557c1.jpg

I just don't understand why these companies insist on making casual golfers ignorant towards their capabilities by cheating these monitors with high altitude, wind, and concrete ground (At least I assume that to be the case).

I often wonder to myself why so many think they are longer than they are, and this is a prime sample of why.

Their No.1 job is to SELL CLUBS.

Their No.1 job is to SELL CLUBS.

Which is even more annoying because we didn't get paid commission. So wouldn't you want the consumer to have accurate knowledge and understanding of the equipment? Ridiculous

I try not to hit clubs at DSG or GG w/o a baseline, but then again I don't hit many clubs at either place and prefer to,go,to a demo day or hit up my local range and work with the fitter there.

such a disservice to the avg golfer

If you're not hitting clubs side by side, they are pointless.

That being said, I hit the new Ping Ie 7 iron (s300 shaft) side by side with the xr pro 7 iron (Tour v 90). I averaged 151 with the Pings and 183 with the xr pros :bulgy-eyes:

So true...however, if you know what your #'s are outside and take your clubs for baseline. Problem solved. Making sure the distance boost is at the bottom is also a must. Feel sad for those 5hat don't know about the adjustments. Flight scope is humerous as well.

I just don't understand why these companies insist on making casual golfers ignorant towards their capabilities by cheating these monitors with high altitude, wind, and concrete ground (At least I assume that to be the case).
Because it sells clubs. You walk into a store and decide to try the new MegaBomb Ultra Striper just for grins and you knock it farther than that drive you and your buddy paced off that was your longest drive *ever* on a course. So you start pondering, and maybe you pull the trigger.

As I'm sure you've seen with the THP FlightScope it's all about the settings. You can adjust it to make it closer to reality or you can put it in "arcade mode".

Hitting into nets and looking at numbers is fun, but thats exactly why I never trust anything from a big box store. You absolutely HAVE to see your ball flight outside.

The best combo for fitting and club purchases is a trackman/flightscope on an outdoor range in my opinion.

This would explain why my Simulator game doesn't travel well

I find that most sims are pretty consistent when it comes to ball speed, the other numbers are pretty useles, but my ball speeds are in the same range whether on a trackman, flightscope, GC2, or a store sim. Depending on the strike of course.

This is the case here as well 300'yd plus drives ever swing dead straight. Not in my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I go to these stores just to feel good about my game. Im starting a new trend "Big Box Golfer"

Hitting into nets and looking at numbers is fun, but thats exactly why I never trust anything from a big box store. You absolutely HAVE to see your ball flight outside.

The best combo for fitting and club purchases is a trackman/flightscope on an outdoor range in my opinion.

That would ideal, wish that sort of set up was more readily available. living in the sticks like I do, that 's a pretty rare treat.

when I was visiting sims in stores while on my search for new clubs a couple seasons back, I got to the point where I just ignored the distances and really had more concern with shot shape, ball speed etc.. and of course feel which has nothing to do with the sim. But when I was comparing drivers, as long as the unit was set the same way you can still compare because they would all be long.

As for Golf Galaxy, the one near me had the sim set pretty well at the times of my use. In fact (probably a rarity) the sim (according to the pro at the time) was a bit shorter and knowing my real life yardage of my original driver which I would bring with me to make comparisons with new ones, it was actually a bit shorter than real world. However. when I was in a DSG on occasion I was hitting 7irons 200plus (ridiculous) but like I said above I ignored distance and was concerning myself with feel and straightness.

If you're not hitting clubs side by side, they are pointless.

That being said, I hit the new Ping Ie 7 iron (s300 shaft) side by side with the xr pro 7 iron (Tour v 90). I averaged 151 with the Pings and 183 with the xr pros :bulgy-eyes:

What do you hit your gamer 7i? I'm guessing 160-170?

So true...however, if you know what your #'s are outside and take your clubs for baseline. Problem solved. Making sure the distance boost is at the bottom is also a must. Feel sad for those 5hat don't know about the adjustments. Flight scope is humerous as well.

I didn't spend a ton of time on Flightscope at Olde Stonewall (although I would have been out there all day if possible) and thought it was pretty accurate for what I knew about my driver and two shafts.

I would always take my gamer club to a simulator at Dick's/Golf Galaxy/Golfsmith/etc for comparison instead of just relying on numbers on the test club.

Funny, I was just discussing this with a guy at Golfsmith in Chattanooga a couple days ago. He told me straight up, "If I ever caught one of my employees jacking up the sims, they'd be fired immediately". I had to tell him that he better get to firing then because I was murdering an 8i out to 190+ yards of carry. Not a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to waggle up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right and then swing. :wink:
Don't forget to hit select if you are in the simulator with a 2nd person.

My GC2 and the GC2 I use at GolfTec is pretty freaking accurate in regards to giving me a realistic ball flight when hitting into the net. My misses on the range and on the course are identical to what I see on the simulator. I used the simulator to get my distances down with each club and those too translate to the course.

This reminds me of when I was down in ORL, probably an event at some point, and stopped into a Golfsmith. I 'think' it's when the SLDRs were coming out and I wanted to swing some drivers. I don't really remember, but I remember telling the guy his monitor was in no way correct. He seemed offended as I assured him I don't hit a giant, 60 yard slice only 190 on every swing. I even switched drivers a couple times and it was the same thing! So I asked if those two drivers, different setups and shafts, should produce something that similar to one another. I didn't even think about going out and getting my own driver, as that would have proven it, for me at least. Kind of hard to get information on a potential purchase when the thing is so messed up it's nowhere close to accurate.
I just looked, and it was the one in Altamonte Springs. A while ago, so maybe it works now :shrug:

Last time I tried irons out, I brought my own 6 iron in to set a base number. At least then, I could compare the 2.

~Rock

Last time I tried irons out, I brought my own 6 iron in to set a base number. At least then, I could compare the 2.

~Rock

I do this every time I go to try out a club. Have to have a known element in the comparison.

Back