Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

What loft ya gonna go?

Pete's is a 9 and I really liked the flight from it, but I'll probably go up a little at 10.5.

Pete's is a 9 and I really liked the flight from it, but I'll probably go up a little at 10.5.

Nice, thats where I've ended up. The head is a launcher. Soooooo good, and the CPO deals are ridiculous right now,

Nice, thats where I've ended up. The head is a launcher. Soooooo good, and the CPO deals are ridiculous right now,

That's what I figure, the deals are so good and I have some trade on stuff, so it'll be cool to try it out.

I hit Pete's 815 today and loved how it felt and it was like 20 yards further than my gamer. Paging CPO...
Longer and straighter. If it's missing in the morning, you're not getting a ride to MA.

Ive been hitting my driver very well minus a few low strikes but overall finding a bunch of fws. I absolutely freakin love this head and lately have just been tinkering with trying to maximize my distance and spin numbers. With the 12* head I found the Kiyoshi gold was spinning just too much for me so i swapped my Speeder 757 back in and have been seeing better results. Lower flight but with much more roll and better trajectory. Getting selected to test a Grandura shaft HAS ME FREAKIN PUMPED! The fact that there's no info out there and I'll get to provide first hand feedback is just amazing. The potential for an absolute match made in heaven with their technology and the 815 head. O M G lol time will tell but I'm very optimistic

Ive been hitting my driver very well minus a few low strikes but overall finding a bunch of fws. I absolutely freakin love this head and lately have just been tinkering with trying to maximize my distance and spin numbers. With the 12* head I found the Kiyoshi gold was spinning just too much for me so i swapped my Speeder 757 back in and have been seeing better results. Lower flight but with much more roll and better trajectory. Getting selected to test a Grandura shaft HAS ME FREAKIN PUMPED! The fact that there's no info out there and I'll get to provide first hand feedback is just amazing. The potential for an absolute match made in heaven with their technology and the 815 head. O M G lol time will tell but I'm very optimistic
I'm thrilled you are liking this head so much buddy! Glad it could go to someone who is getting great results.

I'm thrilled you are liking this head so much buddy! Glad it could go to someone who is getting great results.
When you were nice enough to let me test it honestly i knew within like 2 rounds that I'd be buying it haha its just fantastic for me. Ill admit i havent tried everything out there right now but i simply don't have a reason to stray away from it hahaha. The spin is the only thing im trying to dial in but i feel that will be pretty easy. She's a winner!

Played it well today, hit it straight for all but 1 and I went after it a couple of times and still kept my line.

This driver, is amazing.

And the color blue, makes it amazing...er.

Best driving I have had in months the last week in a half since I moved to the 10.5 head and back to the LZ50 HC.

This driver, is amazing.

And the color blue, makes it amazing...er.

Best driving I have had in months the last week in a half since I moved to the 10.5 head and back to the LZ50 HC.
Can't wait to see what Grandura can bring to the table with this head! Could be awesome. That damn blue makes me figit with the number to continental! Hmmmm

Can't wait to see what Grandura can bring to the table with this head! Could be awesome. That damn blue makes me figit with the number to continental! Hmmmm

To this table?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmaybe. :alien:

I was going to get a standard head and sent it to continental, but this Callaway blue is too effing perfect. Hooooooly crap.

To this table?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmaybe. :alien:

I was going to get a standard head and sent it to continental, but this Callaway blue is too effing perfect. Hooooooly crap.
It did nothing for me until the sun shot, then damn it pops!

My R1 is officially retired , this thing is longer , straighter, and more forgiving than anything I have hit in recent memories. Still working on dialing it in but getting more comfortable with it. Shorter irons into the greens than I have had in years. What I noticed I hit it very well in windy condition especially into the wind , the r1 was nice find for me this year in that respect but this unit is even better. Previous to this year head winds kill me in distance with balloon balls but not now. Gold !

Another night with my 815 and another reminder that it is going to take a phenomenal driver to kick this one of out of the bag.

3 for 4 in fairways hit tonight. The one fairway missed was about 3 yards off from making 4 for 4.

I am curious about both 816 lines but they are going to have to be really good to knock this one of my bag.

I played my first round with the 10.5° Alpha 815 tonight (my regular driver is a TM R11s). I went in cold turkey having not hit a single ball with it or even checking the settings. Didn't realize it was set up to go left. And it did. Hard left. All day. I adjusted the setting once I got home (didn't have the instructions in my bag). I will see if it goes a bit straighter later this weekend. I only hit 2 balls dead nuts and they were both destroyed, for me. The longest was right around 325 straight line. The course was dry and fast and the hole was down wind, but still, that was as far as I ever remember being on the hole.

It's too early to say one way or another whether I will be able to get a handle on this club. If so, I could see it being a real bomber.

Last edited:
Lurked for some time. Read the 140+ pages of 815 Alpha posts. So, with the huge price drop, picked one up this past week. Been hitting a G20 for the past couple of years. Hit the G20 well, but at age 69 can always use a little more distance. From what I've read on this board and others, the 815 should be able to give me that.
My G20 is a 10.5 with the Ping Tour "R" flex shaft. I hit it on a fairly high trajectory and am one of the longer drivers in our regular group of "old folk". The new 815 has the 565 "R" flex shaft.
My typical miss is a fade to, if I overswing, a slice. The 815 is a 10.5, so I've left the loft alone. Due to my sometimes fade, I've turned to the "D" setting. I've left the toe/heel weights alone with the heavier weight in the heel.
What will I find with the gravity core? I know there's all this talk about spin... less spin... more spin. Please translate that to "old man jargon". If I have no trouble getting the ball up, don't I want the weight up? Or, does the GC have anything at all to do with trajectory?
Sorry for the long post. Any advice???

Lurked for some time. Read the 140+ pages of 815 Alpha posts. So, with the huge price drop, picked one up this past week. Been hitting a G20 for the past couple of years. Hit the G20 well, but at age 69 can always use a little more distance. From what I've read on this board and others, the 815 should be able to give me that.
My G20 is a 10.5 with the Ping Tour "R" flex shaft. I hit it on a fairly high trajectory and am one of the longer drivers in our regular group of "old folk". The new 815 has the 565 "R" flex shaft.
My typical miss is a fade to, if I overswing, a slice. The 815 is a 10.5, so I've left the loft alone. Due to my sometimes fade, I've turned to the "D" setting. I've left the toe/heel weights alone with the heavier weight in the heel.
What will I find with the gravity core? I know there's all this talk about spin... less spin... more spin. Please translate that to "old man jargon". If I have no trouble getting the ball up, don't I want the weight up? Or, does the GC have anything at all to do with trajectory?
Sorry for the long post. Any advice???

If you make contact in the middle or upper middle of the face, leave the gravity core where it is. If you make contact low on the face, try to see if adjusting it works.

Typically, mature golfers want a high launch and hit up on the driver - that means teeing it up a bit, hitting it in the middle-mid high, and positioning the ball off the front big toe to get that positive Angle of Attack (upward hit).

Thank you for the quick response... and tactful use of "mature"! :>) I'll leave everything "factory fresh" except for the draw setting. Headed out early tomorrow morning and will see how things go. Had a long love affair with Callaway drivers. Great Big Bertha... Biggest Big Bertha... Hawkeye... etc. About '99 or '00, couldn't find a Callaway driver that seemed to suit my eye/swing. Would be fantastic to renew an old love affair!!

Meant to share these last week. Udesign came in and I couldn't be happier. I'm a sucker for green. Ha.

Nice looking club there.

Getting some control on this bad boy, figured out my high fade. Hit some very specific shots to where I wanted the ball. Things are looking good on those avenues, now to get some distance to go with it. Back to 9* with a draw setting.

Meant to share these last week. Udesign came in and I couldn't be happier. I'm a sucker for green. Ha.

Kevin, that is awesome, pretty driver!

(WAY cooler pup though!)

Corgis are awesome.

Thanks guys! Maddux Has quite the personality. He loves to watch me practice putting on the carpet and is my own personal ball return. I won't lie though, he's chewed up a few golf balls. Haha

Back