Traveling with clubs

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
Two questions for the most part:

1. Do people get travel insurance when they fly with their golf clubs? It says it'll cover equipment replacement (up to certain dollar threshold) upon loss or damage. Won't the airlines cover that?
2. Do most people use a hard or soft travel case for their clubs? Need something economical but durable.

No to insurance.

Sun Mountain Meridian travel bag with stiff arm.

No I dont
Soft. I use the Club Glider and after testing just about every travel case, it is the best I have used to date.

No insurance. Soft bag with stiff arm.

1. Do people get travel insurance when they fly with their golf clubs? It says it'll cover equipment replacement (up to certain dollar threshold) upon loss or damage. Won't the airlines cover that?
2. Do most people use a hard or soft travel case for their clubs? Need something economical but durable.

I'm pretty sure my credit card covers it last I reviewed it, so I don't get travel insurance provided I booked my ticket on it.

I've used a soft case SunMountain ClubGlider with a BagBoy "Backbone" club protector and had zero issues with a fair amount of travel the last 12 months. Last years's model ClubGlider might still be available for less than the $220 you'd pay for this years model, but its still worth it if you plan on traveling with your sticks frequently.

No insurance and I use a hard case however have looked at soft cases due to the fact if you have a hard case you need to rent a bigger vehicle just to fit the darn thing.

And you will see thoughts on the stiff arm.
If your club heads come off, there is no need for it at all. Yet to see a single person with a removeable driver head ever need one.
It adds money you can add to get a better travel case.

1: No

2: Soft bag with neporene covers on the irons, remove the driver head, insert a Bag Boy Backbone in my stand bag, use 2-3 towels as additional protection to the heads then put my rain-hood on the bag to keep it all snug.

Ogio soft travel bag with stiff arm. I also have an inflatable hood that I put over the clubs and blow up after the bag is loaded and closed (it has a twist valve), though that might be overkill.

No to insurance.

Sun Mountain Meridian travel bag with stiff arm.

^^^this right hear. Remove all adjustable heads and tape adapters then once them in the bag with adapter side down

I don't buy insurance.

I use a soft case that OITW recommended to me with a stiff arm. It's an inexpensive travel bag (<$100), but I really like it. No bells and whistles, but there is plenty of room/pockets and seems to protect the clubs quite well.

No travel insurance. Yes to personal items rider with my regular insurance company.

No name soft bag with stiff arm and I've never had a problem, but I often remove the heads from woods and I always add soft items (clothes, shoes, towel) to the shaft end of the bag.

No insurance here. Soft case - Sun Mountain Club Glider fan here too.

Soft cover with stiff arm, never thought of removing the driver head. I've had good luck

No insurance as I've got them insured with my personal insurance.

Soft case

Using a hard case just doesn't make sense anymore. Especially since there are so many good softcase options out there now. That, and a hard case can be difficult fitting into a rental car...

Using a hard case just doesn't make sense anymore. Especially since there are so many good softcase options out there now. That, and a hard case can be difficult fitting into a rental car...
I initially liked the idea of a hard case but worried about the hinges, and the difficulty getting it in and out of cars is a definite problem (I won't rent anything other than a compact car when I travel alone, no need for it really). Soft cases with the "burst proof" straps really fit my mentality and would ease my anxiety about my bag opening and spewing my clubs all over the airport/airplane. Ha ha ha. So many good options out there, this is going to be a tough choice. Thanks for the recommendations so far folks!

Many airlines will cover clubs in a hard case and not in a soft case. At least this was how it was a few years ago havent looked in a while. That said they only cover up to like $1500 or so.

Disclaimer- This is how it was a while ago when I looked not sure if still the case.

I initially liked the idea of a hard case but worried about the hinges, and the difficulty getting it in and out of cars is a definite problem (I won't rent anything other than a compact car when I travel alone, no need for it really). Soft cases with the "burst proof" straps really fit my mentality and would ease my anxiety about my bag opening and spewing my clubs all over the airport/airplane. Ha ha ha. So many good options out there, this is going to be a tough choice. Thanks for the recommendations so far folks!

My hard case is zipper but it is gigantic I almost always have to rent an suv when I go unless I am riding by myself

1. No.
2. Hard SKB case. Wouldn't have paid full price for it, but I caught a good deal on it used off the local news station's classifieds page. I take the head off my driver when traveling for added safety.

I disagree due to the airline insurance thing. But, I can understand the challenges with rental cars I suppose. At this point though, I already have a hard case and don't plan on shelling out cash for a soft one now haha

I have a hard shell case and I would recommend a soft case because as Ron has said they are a pain to get in most cars. I think the stiff arm isn't necessary but I liked having the piece of mind it gave me.

No
Soft case...iron covers...stiff arm...remove heads and put in different bag...naked shafts adapter down in bag.

Stiff arm really isn't needed with removable heads but I still use it. Baggage handlers just don't gently set your clubs horizontally. Much easier to toss a bail of hay than to walk over and lay it down..

Another thing to think about regarding soft vs hard cases is weight. I think the soft cases weigh a bit less than the hard which will give you more wiggle room to put other things inside the case before you reach that 50 pound limit. With ship sticks it's 39 pounds I believe.

Back