2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
275 and I am currently 295ish. 20 lbs in about 7 weeks.
Doable. Very doable. 2500 calories a day. 50% from carbs. 40% from protein. 10% from fat. Learn to love black coffee. Your workouts should be barbells three days a week. HIIT two days. Rest the other two. HIIT can be a lot of things, but important, don't spend a lot of time on a treadmill.

Sleep 8 hours a night.

Doable. Very doable. 2500 calories a day. 50% from carbs. 40% from protein. 10% from fat. Learn to love black coffee. Your workouts should be barbells three days a week. HIIT two days. Rest the other two. HIIT can be a lot of things, but important, don't spend a lot of time on a treadmill.

Sleep 8 hours a night.

How long of workouts would you recommend, especially for the hiit sessions?

How long of workouts would you recommend, especially for the hiit sessions?
HIIT should be 20 minutes. 30 tops.

I like the idea of barbell training because it will burn more calories while resting. Plus, generally speaking, we can all afford to get stronger.

HIIT should be 20 minutes. 30 tops.

I like the idea of barbell training because it will burn more calories while resting. Plus, generally speaking, we can all afford to get stronger.
Blu, I can't express how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. You really are a tremendous resource to this community, and I just can't thank you enough for all of the guidance you've given me as I strive to be healthier.

Blu, I can't express how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. You really are a tremendous resource to this community, and I just can't thank you enough for all of the guidance you've given me as I strive to be healthier.
It's my pleasure. I am not great at fitness. I'm good at training. I don't treat my body like a temple. I treat it like an amusement park.

I'm going to put on my "hard nosed coach" hat here . Now your job is to get off your ass, prove me right, and make yourself better.

Day 1 of my diet begins today, although yesterday was pretty solid. Okay 175 lbs, see you soon.
Will power is the key. Changing a diet is not easy, but makes weight loss come so much more quickly.

It's my pleasure. I am not great at fitness. I'm good at training. I don't treat my body like a temple. I treat it like an amusement park.

I'm going to put on my "hard nosed coach" hat here . Now your job is to get off your ass, prove me right, and make yourself better.
I'm in it to win it. Hitting the gym for weights tonight. Thanks, coach.
Day 1 of my diet begins today, although yesterday was pretty solid. Okay 175 lbs, see you soon.
Will power is the key. Changing a diet is not easy, but makes weight loss come so much more quickly.
I look forward to seeing less of you in December. We can do this!

I'm in it to win it. Hitting the gym for weights tonight. Thanks, coach.

I look forward to seeing less of you in December. We can do this!
Don't kill yourself with weights. Squat variations (preferably barbell back), press variations, pulls. That's all you need

Tonight's workout (all are 3 sets of 10)

Bench press
Squats
Upright row
Shoulder press
Tricep curls
Standing medicine ball rotations
5 minutes walking on the treadmill for a cool down.

Obviously a little light on legs, but the squats really took it out of me. Anything you think I should change up or add? Obviously each workout should be somewhat different to keep the body guessing, but on it's own, how would you rate this workout, Coach Blu?

Tonight's workout (all are 3 sets of 10)

Obviously a little light on legs, but the squats really took it out of me. Anything you think I should change up or add? Obviously each workout should be somewhat different to keep the body guessing, but on it's own, how would you rate this workout, Coach Blu?
See below:

Bench press - good
Squats - good
Upright row – skip. These tend to cause impingement. That is the wearing of the rotator cuff between the scapula and humerus (the glenohumeral joint)
Shoulder press - good
Tricep curls – skip. Your triceps will be burned out from presses
Standing medicine ball rotations – good. These will be a really good option for an HIIT circuit
5 minutes walking on the treadmill for a cool down. – good

Start every session with squats. Remember, every session on weights is squats, presses, pulls.
For weights, try this (always warm up properly. That means light weights working up to your “work sets” do not get burnt out warming up:

Monday (workout A1):
Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps (abbreviated as 3x5). Use great form. If you have questions, please ask. These have to be correct for safety purposes.
Bench: 3x5
Chin ups or seated lat pull downs: Chins should be 3xAMAP (as many as possible) lat pull downs are 3x8

Wednesday (workout B):
Squats (5#s heavier than Monday): 3x5
Standing overhead press (from this point on it is called “Press”): 3x5
Deadlifts Use great form. If you have questions, please ask. These have to be correct for safety purposes.: 1x5

Friday (Workout A2):
Squats (5#s heavier than Monday): 3x5
Bench: 3x5
Standing Dumbbell jump shrugs: 4x4
Every session, add 5#s to every lift. Except the deadlift, add 10.

Starting Wednesday this week:

Workout B
Workout A2

Next week:
Workout B
Workout A1
Workout B

Week after:
Workout A2
Workout B
Workout A1

Etc. I think you can see the pattern.

You don’t need to confuse your muscles. You want to make them better. The program I laid out will force your body to adapt properly.

Body weight power cleans, 5x5. Rough. Definitely rusty

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Body weight power cleans, 5x5. Rough. Definitely rusty

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Yeah. That would be killer. I might be able to do 1.

You know me, all about that power to weight ratio.

If you're gonna be short and have T-Rex arms, the one thing you need going for you is a lot of power through the torso.

Going for a morning hiit session (one of the ones I've posted here)
fe3204948967b6681bf77f7e260bcf15.jpg

Going for a morning hiit session (one of the ones I've posted here)
fe3204948967b6681bf77f7e260bcf15.jpg
Just finished.
fa245979ba28c8ad5946db8968ecff18.jpg

You can tell how much I love it... :alien:

HIIT tonight. 35 seconds on 25 seconds off for the following exercises with 1 minute rest after every 4th exercise.

Burpees
Mountain climbers
Jumping jacks
Medicine ball rotations
Rest
Walking lunges
Pushups
Lunge jumps
Walk outs
Rest
Traveling side lunge
Tricep dips
Speed skaters
Planks
Rest
Kettle ball swings
Box jumps
Side shuffles
Jump rope

Should end up being a 20 minute workout and hit a bunch of areas, and leave me exhausted.

See anything that should be changed?

HIIT tonight. 35 seconds on 25 seconds off for the following exercises with 1 minute rest after every 4th exercise.

Should end up being a 20 minute workout and hit a bunch of areas, and leave me exhausted.

See anything that should be changed?

Burpees
Mountain climbers
Jumping jacks
Medicine ball rotations
Rest
Walking lunges
Pushups. see dips.
Lunge jumps
Walk outs
Rest
Traveling side lunge
Tricep dips. Doing these and push ups will be very difficult. I would skip them next week. Remember, dips and push ups work a lot of the same muscle groups as bench press and press. You may over exert yourself as you move along.
Speed skaters
Planks
Rest
Kettle ball swings
Box jumps . Make sure it is a low box. You will get tired and you don't want to miss. Otherwise, a standard jump squat will work great.
Side shuffles
Jump rope

The jump rope will be a treat at the end. A good, real simple HIIT workout, jump rope for 30 seconds. Rest for 90 seconds. Repeat that 6-8 times. That's it.

Also, for a real simple HIIT circuit, do this three times and call it a day:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/superman-workout

Burpees
Mountain climbers
Jumping jacks
Medicine ball rotations
Rest
Walking lunges
Pushups. see dips.
Lunge jumps
Walk outs
Rest
Traveling side lunge
Tricep dips. Doing these and push ups will be very difficult. I would skip them next week. Remember, dips and push ups work a lot of the same muscle groups as bench press and press. You may over exert yourself as you move along.
Speed skaters
Planks
Rest
Kettle ball swings
Box jumps . Make sure it is a low box. You will get tired and you don't want to miss. Otherwise, a standard jump squat will work great.
Side shuffles
Jump rope

The jump rope will be a treat at the end. A good, real simple HIIT workout, jump rope for 30 seconds. Rest for 90 seconds. Repeat that 6-8 times. That's it.

Also, for a real simple HIIT circuit, do this three times and call it a day:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/superman-workout
I'll drop pushups and dips, and the box jump was actually going to be one of those aerobic step workout things, at least to start. This is why I check with you instead of blindly googling things. I'll let you know how it goes if it doesn't kill me.

Good luck on that journey!

I am at 178 lbs right now...dropped about 17 lbs since the end of June. 8 more to go to get back to pre-Taylor weight. LOL. Think I may need to incorporate some of these HIIT workouts in on my off run days.

I'll drop pushups and dips, and the box jump was actually going to be one of those aerobic step workout things, at least to start. This is why I check with you instead of blindly googling things. I'll let you know how it goes if it doesn't kill me.

Box jumps look cool, but they can be a nightmare. The standing vertical jump cannot be trained. So to do box jumps, essentially, is add a level of danger into your training. I want to limit danger as much as possible.

Box jumps look cool, but they can be a nightmare. The standing vertical jump cannot be trained. So to do box jumps, essentially, is add a level of danger into your training. I want to limit danger as much as possible.
So leave out the box and just squat jump? Makes sense, and 1 less prop to deal with.

It's also easy to get sucked into tucking with box jumps which is not the same as a vertical jump.

The jump rope will be a treat at the end.

Holy eff you weren't kidding. This was brutal after my legs were already screaming at me. I might have to jump air for awhile because I can't jump rope in rhythm long enough for my set yet. The rest of it was tough but I could scale back when I needed based on my fitness level at this point.

Holy eff you weren't kidding. This was brutal after my legs were already screaming at me. I might have to jump air for awhile because I can't jump rope in rhythm long enough for my set yet. The rest of it was tough but I could scale back when I needed based on my fitness level at this point.
I love being right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back