Adam Scott Staying w/ Broomstick Putter

I still think the rule is silly, he has no advantage, if he did everyone would be using the broomsticks.

I agree 100% about the ruling be off. I see too many old folks who use them and it certainly does them zero good on making more putts. In fact I make more putts on average than they do and that tells me they really suck with the t***y putters.

AL7SHRY.png
Where's the line between long putter not anchored and anchor point created by forearm?

This may be a dumb question but what is considered "anchored"? With the belly putters the handle is actually touching the body but with Scott's, isn't it his top hand only?
The key is the player cannot anchor the putter NOR a hand/forearm. So, while his putter may not touch his chest, his hand does.

Well if you can live in the grey area and they don't care, and he can be more comfortable on the greens...more power to him!

Where's the line between long putter not anchored and anchor point created by forearm?
I wish I knew. I think it's a dumb rule. The USGA's little cheat sheet and your queation highlight how much of a nightmare it's going to be.

I had a hunch we would see some try to go this route. It'll be interesting to see all the "techniques" that develop from the ban finally going into effect.
I was thinking that too, but I'm curious how long that'll last after the ban, I'm wondering if some will tinker with it that way, but then go to standard.

I figured the Kuchar method would be the most popular alternative to standard.

Oh ya I agree the rule is dumb in general. I assume Scott's new stroke will be something like one of the 2 mentioned. I just don't understand how it's determined legal. And are we actually going to see penalties thrown around because it looks like what he's doing is illegal?

Not trying to derail the thread and talk about the merits (or lack of) for this rule. Just curious how this plays out.

Interesting,will be something to watch in the players going this route

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Looks like there is a lot of gray area coming... I, for one, don't see much difference between the grip rest against the forearm and the anchored elbow... interesting to see where this will go.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks like there is a lot of gray area coming... I, for one, don't see much difference between the grip rest against the forearm and the anchored elbow... interesting to see where this will go.

It will be a nightmare. Wait for the first PGA Tour penalty because a bigger bellied golfer touches his belly with the putter.

The same place as the NFL's tuck and catch rules.

It will be a nightmare. Wait for the first PGA Tour penalty because a bigger bellied golfer touches his belly with the putter.
We could make a mint if we invented the "golf girdle"

I thought he might go this way, that putter really brought his career back...will be interesting to watch and see how it works out for him

I agree. It is like kicking the dog today for crapping on the rug 5 years ago............

Wait till they start screwing with the ball.

I think some of these guys should try what I use at home a lot for practice: a 42 inch putter, 2 degrees upright and hold it like a long putter but hands much closer together obviously and no anchoring. I even use it on the course that way too when my back is wonky.

vmPw83k.png

Seems like he's exploiting a loophole ... trying to not anchor a 4 ft long putter that's meant to be anchored sounds like a fail waiting to happen. He must really hate conventional putters ...

I have a lot more respect for guys like Webb & Keegan, who gave up on their anchored putters altogether this year & embraced the short putter like everyone else.

PS - I'm just pi$$ed because I told everyone I can't wait to see Adam Scott using a short putter like the rest of us ... and I may be the one who's ultimately foiled !!

Seems like he's exploiting a loophole ... trying to not anchor a 4 ft long putter that's meant to be anchored sounds like a fail waiting to happen. He must really hate conventional putters ...

I have a lot more respect for guys like Webb & Keegan, who gave up on their anchored putters altogether this year & embraced the short putter like everyone else

Yeah, but, his phone signal strength would collapse without that thing sticking way out of his bag.

Exactly what I thought when they announced the ban. Millions of TV viewers will be calling in to argue wether the belly putter touched a players belly or just grazed his shirt. It will make the Dez Bryant catch/no catch look like small potatoes.

LOL ! I wonder how they're going to enforce this ruling ... based on the picture above - it would be awful easy to let your top hand contact your chest & anchor it. Hope they enforce it ...

This will be interesting for sure. Enforcement sounds like it could get really interesting with the points everyone has been bringing up. Will be interesting to see what they do with it all.

I'm surprised that some of the users of the long putter have gone straight to a conventional putter. I would have thought they would explore some of the awesome counterbalanced options available.

Regardless of the putter used, I sure would like to see Adam get back on track, guy has just fallen off.

I really hope he fails. It may be legal, but he's violating the spirit of the new rule (even though they say it's just a ban on anchoring), and if that broomstick ever touches his chest, I hope they enforce the 2 shot penalty...

I really hope he fails. It may be legal, but he's violating the spirit of the new rule (even though they say it's just a ban on anchoring), and if that broomstick ever touches his chest, I hope they enforce the 2 shot penalty...
He is either violating the rule or not. If they intended for the rule to do something else, they would have written it that way or will change it in the future.

Hoping for someone's failure is a little harsh, too.

Back