Not open for further replies.

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
JB and I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to those on their journey of better nutrition and weight loss and separate from the Olympic lifts and such.

So, discuss your journey here, it's a place for us to support each other and share information on the road towards healthier living.

20 more lbs to go for me to hit my goal of 175. Grandaddy here I come.

Thank you! My back will appreciate this thread. At 240 lbs it's time to take a serious look at the tire I've been hauling around. I'm sure my golf game will benefit too.

20 more lbs to go for me to hit my goal of 175. Grandaddy here I come.

How did you come up with a number?

How did you come up with a number?

It was the number that I felt most comfortable at and the number I weighed when I was able to get GG to say yes. haha
She has been very supportive of my endeavor and even doing it with me, which helps.

The crazy part is that I understand nutrition and even studied it when I was young. Yet with my schedule and taste buds for delicious rather than healthy, I gained a lot of weight. When I started this, I was teetering on the edge of 200 and for my build and frame, where it all sits in hte middle, it was bad news. Clothes didnt fit, I felt uncomfortable, etc.

Last year at the PGA Show, ddec and I kept saying that we looked enormous...The truth is, it was because I was enormous. So we set some goals for our 1st trip to Cali and crazy enough, we met them. Then we put it all back on. So we challenged each other to reach a certain goal by the PGA Show this coming year and I am confident we will both get there. We both have supportive wives and neither of us want to look like we have 6 cameras pointed at us at the show (each camera adds 10 lbs).

So there you have it. Now I am primed and ready and expect that come November I will be close and by Grandaddy I will be there. I know I have two busy travel months coming up with great food involved, and that is okay as long as I stick to my plan while not on the road.

Im ready to get rid of the skinny fat kid look. I don't have a number for what I want to weigh but the goal is 10% or less body fat. My routine will include weight training thus why i don't want to put a number on the goal.

Great thread.

I'm currently fluctuating between 205-210 and really need to get down to 195 or so. I've accomplished a lot to get here (lost 35 pounds in the last two years) but I've hit a wall. I eat decent and don't eat a lot of fast/processed food, but I know my Achilles heel is exercise. Between work schedules and the girls I've gotten lazy. I need to come up with a plan to lose the final 10-15 and get to the weight I should be based on my height

I was hoping to lose some weight this year since I walk a hilly course 4-6 days a week, sadly I just end up drinking more beer and staying at about the same weight. I'm 220 pounds and 6'4" so I'm not obese or anything but I'd like to be closer to 205. At my worst I was 255-260 but that was like 6 years ago when I was eating like crap and spending way too much time gaming, I've been at my current weight for the last several years give or take a few pounds.

I've got a maximum of 2 months of golf left this season where I am, so I'll have to be better about lifting weights and/or doing other physical activities this winter. My diet is pretty good but still some room for improvement there.

I'm trying to lose 20lbs to get down to 180. I can't seem to break the 200lb barrier. Hopefully throwing science against the wall (bodyfat and resting metabolism checks) tomorrow morning will help. :)

I too need to lose 20lbs. I am the heaviest I have ever been and lately all I wear are flow-y dresses or elastic waistbands. The problem is that I can't get motivated. I am in a bit of a rut lately, so all I want to do is eat bad food and sit on the couch.

I just need JB to stop putting on the food network and telling me all the bad-for-us foods that sound good, but we can't have them, and then I know we can do this. :smile:

I have 8 lbs to go to get to my target weight of 170lbs. The first 17 lbs have dropped off pretty fast, as I watched what I've ate and portion sizing. Unfortunately I feel the last 8lbs will be the toughest to shed. Need to stay motivated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to lose 20lbs to get down to 180. I can't seem to break the 200lb barrier. Hopefully throwing science against the wall (bodyfat and resting metabolism checks) tomorrow morning will help. :)
Look into the "Renegade Diet" from Jason Ferruggia

I'm into my 8th week of changing the way I eat and getting some exercise into my life. I started at 218 lbs and my goal was to get to 198 lbs by September 11th as an intermediary mark, and a larger goal of 180-185. I'd gotten into some seriously bad eating habits with a lot of fast food breakfast and lunch to go along with copious beer drinking on the weekends after golf. There are some larger issues that I'm still working on that got me to where I just didn't care how I looked, but that will be a story for a different thread at a different time. I'd ballooned up to 222 lbs back in the spring at one point, which was the most I'd ever weighed. This all on a runners build, think tall/skinny. I weighed 120 lbs when I graduated high school. 138 lbs after Marine Corps bootcamp at Parris Island. Stayed in the 140's until getting a desk job in the mid 1990's and gradually put on weight from there. 9 years ago I had gotten up to a then high of 210 lbs and went on a work out and gym kick and dropped to 183 lbs. Over time I slowly put it all and more back on, mostly in the past 5 years.

As of this morning I'm 19.5 lbs down, weighing in at 198.5 lbs. I'm doing it through healthy eating mixed with some light jogging, plus walking whenever I can when playing golf. No weight training this time around.

Look into the "Renegade Diet" from Jason Ferruggia
Will do.

I've read some studies that show food in the morning is essential to limiting food craving / intake later in the day, but I can't seem to have more than a coffee without feeling sluggish.
Thoughts?

I'm into my 8th week of changing the way I eat and getting some exercise into my life. I started at 218 lbs and my goal was to get to 198 lbs by September 11th as an intermediary mark, and a larger goal of 180-185. I'd gotten into some seriously bad eating habits with a lot of fast food breakfast and lunch to go along with copious beer drinking on the weekends after golf. There are some larger issues that I'm still working on that got me to where I just didn't care how I looked, but that will be a story for a different thread at a different time. I'd ballooned up to 222 lbs back in the spring at one point, which was the most I'd ever weighed. This all on a runners build, think tall/skinny. I weighed 120 lbs when I graduated high school. 138 lbs after Marine Corps bootcamp at Parris Island. Stayed in the 140's until getting a desk job in the mid 1990's and gradually put on weight from there. 9 years ago I had gotten up to a then high of 210 lbs and went on a work out and gym kick and dropped to 183 lbs. Over time I slowly put it all and more back on, mostly in the past 5 years.

As of this morning I'm 19.5 lbs down, weighing in at 198.5 lbs. I'm doing it through healthy eating mixed with some light jogging, plus walking whenever I can when playing golf. No weight training this time around.

Your transformation is pretty staggering. When I saw you in Cali, you looked like you had lost a ton and its really good motivation.

You are looking good buddy, I think I mentioned it in Savannah, if I didn't, I know I thought it. Between you and just_hacking, y'all are making me look like a slacker! #Motivation

Will do.

I've read some studies that show food in the morning is essential to limiting food craving / intake later in the day, but I can't seem to have more than a coffee without feeling sluggish.
Thoughts?

I am of the belief that food is food. It doesn't matter when it gets eaten. I usually skip breakfast, have a small lunch, dinner, and then a small high protein intake after training.

I really need to work on this. I lived by myself mainly for 3 months and only gained weight instead of eating better. Now that my family has moved to my new town I need to get serious. I need to lose atleast 30 pounds if not 40.

You are looking good buddy, I think I mentioned it in Savannah, if I didn't, I know I thought it. Between you and just_hacking, y'all are making me look like a slacker! #Motivation
Yeah, I was about to post the same. You weren't looking overweight or in need of weight loss at Savannah.

I have to admit, I'm extremely happy we are splitting these topics into separate threads because the conglomeration is a large reason I stopped posting about any of my goals/day-to-day and as such it cost me a good motivational tool in this forum.

After the Doc and I having Lotte its been the battle most parents face, you eat what you can when you can and add to that my wife having the ability to eat WAY more calories than me thanks to nursing, I fell into a deep hole I thought I was over with.

This past sunday I hit 211.2, and frankly I couldn't be more disgusted or pissed off about it, its a far cry from the 245+ I was at when still coaching football and S&C, but still, at one point I had it down to 198 and then got complacent. I've lost 20+ via weight watchers and also 20+ by Atkins and I believe firmly that both work. This time though for me my schedule necessitates something different so I'm doing it the much more basic way, off of my BMR I am cutting my daily caloric intake to 1800 with the emphasis being on whole foods (and still trying to keep the carbs around 200g or less daily) and combining it with carrying when playing 3 times a week and jogging for 30+ 3 days a week. Facts are facts, running a deficit in calories while still getting the nutrients you need will yield results.

I'm a new convert to myfitnesspal and I effing LOVE it. Four days in and I hit 207 this morning, the goal for me is 190 or below by #TheGrandaddy, and it will happen. Plus, the deal with my wife has always been if I can hit 190 then I can get the ink I want, and thats a very important goal for me emotionally speaking. Plus, I want to be the healthiest I have ever been for Lotte. I've done the strength training and bulking muscle for literally almost 20 years of my life and I'm so over it is isn't funny. My daughter won't give a crap what I max, she will only care that I'm around.

Freaking LOVE this thread.

Other than the ink part, I am proud of you.
Mind over matter...Even if that matter is delicious.

I just got finished with our Fresh Start 21 detox diet, which seemed to have worked in my opinion.. Started at approximately 230 pounds, and finished 3 weeks later at 215... No meat, dairy, and very low sugar... Basically ate vegan for three weeks.. Immediately noticed once we got off the plan that my meal sizes shrunk dramatically. Our first 'non detox' meal was a pizza place and i only had room for 3 pieces of pizza... I guess i learned the difference between 'satisfied' and 'stuffed'. The lack of sugar in our diet also was a major revelation... We just celebrated our first anniversary the other day and had a 'normal' size piece of cake. I almost got sick from all the sugar in it. Going forward, planning on cutting out almost all soda, and really watching my sugar intake... Seeing the documentary "Fed Up" out here on the board, prompted us to watch it, and its something i've really noticed that was a major part of our diet... We're planning on trying to eat a couple nights a week vegan. At this point, i'm up a couple pounds to 217, but i'd like to get down to about 200/205...

I seem to start out well and go good for months then I fall off the wagon. Usually vacation or something gets me out of my routine. It's time to start again and hopefully I can stick with it. need to drop 30 pounds and keep it off this time!

Other than the ink part, I am proud of you.
Mind over matter...Even if that matter is delicious.

Hahaha, its something I've always wanted to do, and will have a lot of meaning to me I just didn't want to do it when I was cow-sized.

The matter is crazy delicious, and I know I won't be perfect on my plan, for instance I'm going to enjoy the F&W next month at Disney, but I can be determined and committed for the bigger picture.

If we roll into December at 175 and 190, look out!

Hahaha, its something I've always wanted to do, and will have a lot of meaning to me I just didn't want to do it when I was cow-sized.

The matter is crazy delicious, and I know I won't be perfect on my plan, for instance I'm going to enjoy the F&W next month at Disney, but I can be determined and committed for the bigger picture.

If we roll into December at 175 and 190, look out!
There are going to be some lean mean fighting machines rolling into California hungry for some redemption. Motivation has never been higher, and I have a feeling we will all keep each other accountable.

JB got me thinking last night about why I quit WW when it worked, so I looked into that and MFP and have decided/committed to tracking again using MFP. No excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back