Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

I've been an Aldila guy for years. Last in Rogue Silver. But I just fit into the 665 Evolution ll TS. The difference was significant. A little lower trajectory, more carry and ball speed. Feel is not at all different to me. My GBB will be here Wednesday. Can't wait.

I hit the new Heavenwood today at a Cally demo day at my local course. There was a strong wind blowing straight into me on the range. I first tried it at 20 deg and with the Kuro Kage in reg flex. Went very high but a great feeling club. Then I tried it at 19 deg with the Kuro cage in stiff to bring the flight down a little and the results were great. Well great for hitting into a stiff breeze. I nutted a few that went around 180-185 yards but fell out of the sky at right angles due to the wind. I reckon another 20 yards at least we're left behind due to the conditions. God forbid I ever get to hit one downwind. Just as a reference I swing my driver at 85-90. Very confidence inspiring at address and super easy to hit... Just need to get on a monitor and see just how far it really goes compared to my x2 hot 3h.

c2ba4c1cd7ed4d70e2cfded2de67755e.jpg

2c9cfc473bc7de636166c2d73aa0c0e7.jpg

5e112dc2c4495f30760565d154c95504.jpg

Slightly smaller foot print than the last model, although it doesnt look it.
6bca1722122430c4df220aa8445fa583.jpg

That matte black is just gorgeous

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

setting up and take a couple swings with it, it seems very similar in size. Sets up quite nicely.

Had a chance to hit the new HW and 5w. I had the same issues with the GBB HW as the V Series version. Its simply too long for me to hit consistently at my height (5' 4") and skill level. 12/13 cap.

The 5w however I really got along with well in both sessions I have tried it now. Also I found that the loft settings really worked. At the stock setting I saw carries around 190 with roll around 211, 15* of launch. When I adjusted it to +2 (essentially making it the same loft as the HW) my launch angle increased to 17*. Nice high shots.
Having this flexibility might make this a great weapon for a one fairway wood carrying slower swinger. I am hoping that Delta adds the GBB line to their skymiles program. If they do I will be redeeming some frequent flyer miles, lol

Don't sleep on the 5w folks.

First test run with the new Heaven Wood went as expected. I freaking love it. Love the footprint setting up to the ball and love the ability to change things around with the adjustability. The shaft pairing seems to work as well or better than the previous generation. If you loved the last one, you are going to love this one.

First test run with the new Heaven Wood went as expected. I freaking love it. Love the footprint setting up to the ball and love the ability to change things around with the adjustability. The shaft pairing seems to work as well or better than the previous generation. If you loved the last one, you are going to love this one.

Are you seeing any distance gains or difference in ball flight from the prior model? If so, at which loft?

This makes me so so so happy.

You have a divine 9 in hand or try it yet?

Are you seeing any distance gains or difference in ball flight from the prior model? If so, at which loft?

Slightly lower ball flight, but thank goodness no gains or losses setup the same way as the other. This is a club I use for a gap. I have been told it is more forgiving towards the toe side, but have not checked that yet.

This makes me so so so happy.

You have a divine 9 in hand or try it yet?

Divine 9 will be here soon.

Slightly lower ball flight, but thank goodness no gains or losses setup the same way as the other. This is a club I use for a gap. I have been told it is more forgiving towards the toe side, but have not checked that yet.

Divine 9 will be here soon.

More forgiving on the toe side would match up well with what I saw on the monitor when I was hitting this the other day. That's been my miss with the club and I was seeing better ball speed out of the GBB.

This has me intrigued. Been contemplating this in the place of the hybrid and I like the adjustability factor with this one.

Three reasons I want the new HW

1) The new shaft
2) Adjustability
3) Matte finish would match my clubs haha

I love the V-Series version, but if I could change one thing about it, it would be the ball flight. This one launching lower sounds fantastic to me.

So a question. This one is adjustable down to 19 degrees, is that correct? Could you see someone having the V-Series in the bag at 20.5 degrees and this one at 19 degrees? I guess I'd be curious if I could squeeze just a tad more distance out of the new one (GBB) with the ease of use that's present with the V-series (and because I'm greedy).

Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

Got to hit the 15* today in stock form. While the appearance takes a few looks to get used to the ease of hitting it does not. The ball just flies off the face and shoots through the air with ease. The Kuro Kage Black Tini 50g was paired nicely; lightweight and increased SS was definitely helpful in hitting down range. Although too light for my normal preference of a 70g shaft in my fairway I was able to hit some great shots: elevating shots from the deck that didn't ballon and landed softly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not in love with fairway woods, just have a problem hitting them well consistently was not a problem 20 years ago but after a 10 year break from the game I have had nothing but problems. After reading all the feedback on the Heaven wood I bought one at PGA SS on the 28th, played 18 Saturday and Sunday and I must say I like this Heaven wood. Tried to use it as much as I could both days, didn't hit every shot well but I hit this club a lot better than any fairway I have hit and I have it just about all of them. As mentioned in another post its forgiving on toe hits which is my primary miss. Had a shot today that was 195 carry over water hit it towards the toe and still cleared the water by a yard. I have it set to 19* and was hitting it about 215 to 220 when I hit it well. This site has cost me a lot of money but I am sure thankful to be able to hit a fairway wood. I may even try the 3 wood.

Why would you by what basically amounts to a 3 hybrid with a 3 wood length shaft? 43 inches is difficult to hit off the deck because of the length, not the loft. Not impressed with the heavenwood

I wondered the same ... but for guys who don't launch a fwy high, the Heavenwood is the ticket. I play the V Series 3 and 5 wood and elevate the 5 wood easily, so the Heavenwood was not needed. Now the V 5 wd spins too much, shallow face, etc, and my swing over the year has improved ... so the GBB fwys interest me. From what I can tell of the KK Black, it is smooth and launches easily with the driver - mid launcher, mid spin - sounds as if is can work for many in a 3wd.

JB. Will the Heavenwood have a larger head than the 5 and 7 woods like the V Series version ?

Yes.

Heavenwood 165cc @ 42.75

GBB 5 wd 155cc @ 42.5

I wish there was a 70g option for the Fwys that doesn't carry an uncharge. I tried the stock shaft and topped 5 in a row because the 50/60g shafts are too light.

I wish there was a 70g option for the Fwys that doesn't carry an uncharge. I tried the stock shaft and topped 5 in a row because the 50/60g shafts are too light.

Aldila Tour Green

Some 65g+ shafts at no charge

Had a chance to hit the new HW and 5w. I had the same issues with the GBB HW as the V Series version. Its simply too long for me to hit consistently at my height (5' 4") and skill level. 12/13 cap.

The 5w however I really got along with well in both sessions I have tried it now. Also I found that the loft settings really worked. At the stock setting I saw carries around 190 with roll around 211, 15* of launch. When I adjusted it to +2 (essentially making it the same loft as the HW) my launch angle increased to 17*. Nice high shots.
Having this flexibility might make this a great weapon for a one fairway wood carrying slower swinger. I am hoping that Delta adds the GBB line to their skymiles program. If they do I will be redeeming some frequent flyer miles, lol

Don't sleep on the 5w folks.

I like a 5 wood, but the Heavenwood in slightly heavier shaft can go 42.5 inches (same as 5 wd) and you have a higher flying fairway. Depends on the gapping. If you are using one fairway, then the 5 wood at 17 deg is a good choice. You could do Heavenwood in a slightly heavier shaft at less length and 22 degrees - depending on what you have after the 5 wd.

Aldila Tour Green

Some 65g+ shafts at no charge

I saw those but that's still a little too light for me. I currently have aldila rogue black 70s in my Fwys and that is probably what I will have to install aftermarket since there's no heavy options for Fwys.

Love the look of this new fairway wood for sure.

I saw those but that's still a little too light for me. I currently have aldila rogue black 70s in my Fwys and that is probably what I will have to install aftermarket since there's no heavy options for Fwys.

I guess Rogue Silver is the closest at $65?

You are in rare air for me -- in a 3 wood, I look for something to get my ball up, up, up. In a 5 wood, I can go 65g. Lots of options there...

Good luck.

I guess Rogue Silver is the closest at $65?

You are in rare air for me -- in a 3 wood, I look for something to get my ball up, up, up. In a 5 wood, I can go 65g. Lots of options there...

Good luck.

I completely understand but through testing I've found that for my swing the heavier shaft helps keep me in the swing and helps me to swing through the ball rather than coming up during the swing.

Back