Cobra King LTD Driver - THP Review

Not to muddy up the thread Dan on shaft talk, but I am curious as to if you perceive or notice any differences with the 95MSI Rogue it cam with versus the 110MSI most other OEM's have been using?

Not to muddy up the thread Dan on shaft talk, but I am curious as to if you perceive or notice any differences with the 95MSI Rogue it cam with versus the 110MSI most other OEM's have been using?

I'd need the 110 to draw comparisons using the same head, although I've recently used the RIP I/O in my gamer so my perception of the rogue is a bit vast right now.

As a whole I think it's been yielding positive results. Maybe a bit softer throughout the profile compared to some of the more stout shafts I have been experimenting with but I've had little issue getting good visual numbers with it. At times a bit high, but still solid.

catching up on this thread, some solid initial thoughts Dan. Too early still to talk about the forgiveness aspect of the club ? (however based on the pics of the face it doesnt look like you are missing at all lol)

catching up on this thread, some solid initial thoughts Dan. Too early still to talk about the forgiveness aspect of the club ? (however based on the pics of the face it doesnt look like you are missing at all lol)

Yes, still too early. I hope to have an update later in the week.

How is the face depth on the King? Hard to tell from pics if it is about the same as the flyz series or slightly deeper.

what forgiveness? Did you see Dan's contact picture on page 1. Sweet spot space port engaged! haha

Like everyone else I'm pretty intrigued by this driver. When I first read the press release for it I was kind of eh on it. It had no excitement to it, although very technical.

I'd need the 110 to draw comparisons using the same head, although I've recently used the RIP I/O in my gamer so my perception of the rogue is a bit vast right now.

As a whole I think it's been yielding positive results. Maybe a bit softer throughout the profile compared to some of the more stout shafts I have been experimenting with but I've had little issue getting good visual numbers with it. At times a bit high, but still solid.
Man, I'd love to see spin numbers with that Agera in the LTD! Might be TOO low!

Any more on the testing re: this drive?

Dan, are you still using the 9 degree set up and getting the mid launch or did you adjust the loft? Do you know what your typical aoa is?

Dan, are you still using the 9 degree set up and getting the mid launch or did you adjust the loft? Do you know what your typical aoa is?

Closing in on neutral, I believe. I wish I had full access to numbers all the time but unfortunately I do not -- Sorry Scrap!

Still playing this at 9 degrees and still getting a mid to mid/high launch depending on strike quality (lower on the face is going to produce a lower unintended launch. I've been moving a bit around the face and seeing the path change a bit between draws and fades because of it. Low on inside towards the heel seems to generate the most spin, whereas neutral to slightly above center and toward the toe seems to generate what I consider to be my most optimal flight.

I'm not entirely convinced I'd want to go lower than 9 degrees, but I would definitely consider rotating a new shaft into place. The 95 MSi Rogue is a great compliment, I just tend to be on the higher launch/spin profile of the spectrum.

In terms of lateral forgiveness, I can't get into much just yet beyond what I've already seen, aside from saying it's a REALLY easy head to hit straight and on the intended line for me. I've played some rather unforgiving drivers over the last year and I'd be willing to categorize this one more on the forgiving side of the fence in comparison. I'm not saying it's forgiving for all handicaps/swings, but at this profile, on the right path.

I hope to get numbers this week. Unfortunately the unit i have is limited to a device my wife owns, and she's out of town.

Thanks for the update Dan! Looking forward to the numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am finding it interestingly easy to hit the ball straight (assuming my alignment is decent and my face angle is reasonable) despite the ball moving around the face a bit. Twice today I found myself lower and towards the heel side of center, yet both times were dead straight. The distance wasn't perfect, but frankly I deserved worse than what I got. I am finding the location slightly towards the toe of center to promote a wonderful contact sensation and sound - Definitely something I feel eager to repeat.

Still a definitive mid to mid/high launch for me at 9 degrees (as a higher ball hitter that makes sense) and the flight is not an ugly peak or anything of that nature. I'm not seeing a lot of roll on the softer fairways but I am sure a shaft change to improve launch would provide me with the roll I expect. Might just bit a bit too steep on the descent angle right now (which is pretty common for me and stock shafts at 9 degrees).

I think it's got great weighting for the swing transition, and I've never felt like I am dealing with any sort of head imbalance which is great. It also frames the ball nicely at setup, and while I'm not partial to the orange, it still supports alignment of the ball very well. What I didn't realize, was that there is actually a great looking pattern on the crown of the driver. Very hard to see unless the sun is properly hitting it -- I'll see if the pictures I took show the design and will post.

I thought it was a Cobra not a Diamond back rattler.

Looks good and love the feedback.

Does anyone know what the no charge upgraded shafts will be? I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this bad boy produces.

I really like that checkerboard...especially with orange.

Are you going to change shafts at all Dan?

I really like that checkerboard...especially with orange.

Are you going to change shafts at all Dan?
It's unlikely during testing. Unfortunately I don't have access to the cobra tips. That said, if this club maintained gamer status I personally wouldn't hesitate to rotate in a more suitable shaft for my game. Something a bit more stout probably in the 65g range.

It's unlikely during testing. Unfortunately I don't have access to the cobra tips. That said, if this club maintained gamer status I personally wouldn't hesitate to rotate in a more suitable shaft for my game. Something a bit more stout probably in the 65g range.

Gotcha. How is it comparing to your gamer?

Gotcha. How is it comparing to your gamer?

I have comfortably moved it in and out with the driver I am most familiar with playing. Maybe a touch lighter in the head throughout the swing, and certainly lower in volume -- However both are suitable as I am sure any reduced weighting would improve swing speed, and the sound is quite intriguing compared to all of these overly loud heads nowadays.

Distance wise, it's hard to compare -- But again I wouldn't hesitate to put this club in play on a whim for any round.

Looks really good!!!

I had some rather herculean carry and total yardage numbers with the Cobra King LTD today (wind supporting). Very much in the comfortable internet golf realm (read: ridiculous).

There seems to be a relative ease in hitting straight balls with the stock setup. Even balls that I am making contact with and getting audible and physical cues that suggest a mediocre contact are going straight-ish, with only marginal distance reductions. Based on the advertising from Cobra suggesting that the King LTD is going to accommodate launch with low spin without compromising forgiveness, I think there's some real traction here.

The profile is a bit larger than what I'd deem 'typical' for a lower spinning head. It's something that only a couple of companies seem to really be accommodating, and comes with that refreshing idea that I can in fact enjoy forgiveness despite making solid contact a majority of the time. That in mind, I can swap back and forth between a very small profile and the King LTD without thinking twice. It's all mental after all.

I maintain that the sound is unique to the driver realm right now, but not even remotely bad. I can definitely tell when I tag the ball and when I hit it poorly.... When I hit it extremely well, I'm rewarded with a subtle thump that is very pleasing, unlike some of the more audible and ridiculous sounding heads on the market. Personally I think it's fantastic and Cobra got it quite right here.

One additional round tomorrow and then the writing begins. I had zero luck making my LM work this week (sadly), but I'll give it another try tomorrow and report my findings if i can get any. Feel free to ask any additional questions you might have and I'll check in the AM!

I do have a question, can we get a round in sometime so I can try this thing?

Will do. Got to tell you, a lot of good information coming from you and love the small details your putting in. Might have to see if the wife will do a birthday gift for me. I have been very impressed with Cobra drivers over past few years and this one sounds just as good

Unique is a good way to describe the sound. Very "comforting " in my opinion...doesnt sound "tingy" or like a shotgun blast like some others on the market.

And u had some absolute bombs today...all carry

Back