Driving Distance Survey

You guys want to hear a crazy stat?

Of all the swings taken on the THP FlightScope (not including my own) at all of the THP Events, get togethers and local range testing.
The average carry distance is 221.

I guess that tells me two things.
1. Where people play they get obscene amounts of roll.
2. #OutingApproved is awesome.

It was so nice being hooked up to trackman at Wilson staff I know all of my stats are 100% accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was so nice being hooked up to trackman at Wilson staff I know all of my stats are 100% accurate.

Nothing beats launch monitors :) I miss having both a trackman and a foresight to play around on.

1. What is your average driving distance? 270
2. How old are you? 17
3. How much do you currently weigh? 145
4. What is your height? 5'9"
5. How many times a week do you regularly play golf? 2 or 3
6. In addition to playing, how many times a week do you hit the driving range? Once or Twice

Just to put things in perspective. In my country, we have a saying: "Nice drive, no arrive." It doesn't translate as nicely in English, but I think we all get the point. Even I have been ribbed of that saying. Long driving is something we all want and is something nice to desire, but having it doesn't automatically determine a good golfer. Golf isn't that easy. But it's here to prod all of us to be better.

Just to put things in perspective. In my country, we have a saying: "Nice drive, no arrive." It doesn't translate as nicely in English, but I think we all get the point. Even I have been ribbed of that saying. Long driving is something we all want and is something nice to desire, but having it doesn't automatically determine a good golfer. Golf isn't that easy. But it's here to prod all of us to be better.

so true. my buddy and I lost the back and overall to a couple of older dudes from the same tees today. we were hitting 9i on shots where they were hitting 5i and 6i, and they still beat us. it ain't a postcard, it's a scorecard!

A 221 yard average carry is respectable - certainly it's longer than the average golfers carry distance.

I wish I could carry 221, one of the reasons I have never gotten on the flight scope is I pretty much know my numbers and I figure some of the other guys can put in better use of the time. I just always attend events to enjoy the folks and the golf.

while I have posted in this thread I never did give an average distance. But its kind of strange for me as I seem to have two average distances when the driver is working well. One round with good driving will often put me between 240 and 255 and then another day (even at the same course) with driving that feels just as good will often put me between 255 and 270. I guess its a matter of how well the fairways are running. I am not counting the poor driving days when getting off the tee is a struggle in itself which does happen nor am I counting the hits that I really catch great and seem to fly and run forever. But just counting the rounds where I am hitting a good driver and lets say of the 8 to 10 attempted driver hits I have all but a couple are hit well. One day I can record most in the 250's and 60's and even low 70's. While the next time most seem to be 240's and 50's with only a couple in the 60's and some 230's. I don't know if conditions related or my swing or a combo of both. Some hits can carry 250 while others end up at 240 total. All I do know is that when I have a decent driver day at my local courses all playing about from my tees one set inwards at about 6450 I am most often left with a good mix of short and mid irons for an approach and also don't use my driver on all par 4's.

BTW I am 50 and weigh 240 and am 6"1" or at ;east I was , I think now I lost a half inch

Last edited:
Im not discounting anybody. Merely pointing out stats.
Tons of THPers meet all over the country, from all over the world at THP Events. Including the all expenses paid Grandaddy of em all.

My apologies and my bad. Being a newbie, I have zero knowledge of THP Events. Can't tell the difference between a Grandaddy and an #OutingApproved.

Aaaand it just keeps coming.

No need to compute the additional stats, what these say, aside from age, where theoretically we lose distance as we grow older, there is almost no effect of physical vital statistics on driving distance.

137 THP'ers participated, the youngest is 17, the oldest is 72. The average THP'er drives it 249.7 yards, is 38.5 years old, weighs 199.1 lbs, is 5.6' tall, plays 1.7 games a week, hits the range 1.1 times a week, and is overweight. Thanks everyone.

Interesting thread with some interesting information & data. Not the least of which is apparently a common shape for many on the board is that of a fire hydrant.

Is true average driving distance all that relevant for a mid to high handicappers game? I don't really give any consideration to the (all to common for me) smother shot that goes 200ish yards into the left rough or left trees when choosing how to play a hole. At that point I am in scramble mode anyway and just trying to find a way to avoid double-bogey.

Much more relevant to me and my game is the the average distance of a drive with solid contact. Not a perfect drive or even a good drive but a drive that is within 5-10% plus or minus of my common distance potential. Maybe that is the number most in the survey used as their average but if every topped shot, balloon shot, smother shot or weak leaker were included for most of us then yes I could easily see where the "true average" would end up around a very unimpressive number.

Interesting thread with some interesting information & data. Not the least of which is apparently a common shape for many on the board is that of a fire hydrant.

Is true average driving distance all that relevant for a mid to high handicappers game? I don't really give any consideration to the (all to common for me) smother shot that goes 200ish yards into the left rough or left trees when choosing how to play a hole. At that point I am in scramble mode anyway and just trying to find a way to avoid double-bogey.

Much more relevant to me and my game is the the average distance of a drive with solid contact. Not a perfect drive or even a good drive but a drive that is within 5-10% plus or minus of my common distance potential. Maybe that is the number most in the survey used as their average but if every topped shot, balloon shot, smother shot or weak leaker were included for most of us then yes I could easily see where the "true average" would end up around a very unimpressive number.

Well, we all aspire to be better, driving included. Let's put it this way - a good drive will help, but not guarantee a good score on that hole, but a bad drive can rack up a bad one real quick.

I guess for the drives, as we get better, will go with this sequence - disaster prevention, fairway consistency, then finally sneaking up on length to get shorter and shorter approach shots.

1. 285 - 295
2. 19
3. 180
5. 5'11"
6. 0 - 5 times
7. Everyday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You guys want to hear a crazy stat?

Of all the swings taken on the THP FlightScope (not including my own) at all of the THP Events, get togethers and local range testing.
The average carry distance is 221.

I guess that tells me two things.
1. Where people play they get obscene amounts of roll.
2. #OutingApproved is awesome.
I love that Flightscope. Love it

Did I read that right? The average height is 5'6"?

Did I read that right? The average height is 5'6"?
I read it too. Can't be right. No way I'm above average in any metric in life, no matter what the sample.

Or another possible explanation....Numbers Never Lie*

I read it too. Can't be right. No way I'm above average in any metric in life, no matter what the sample.

Or another possible explanation....Numbers Never Lie*
It's a distance thread, no way numbers are being fudged.

Sorry guys, my bad. Here are the correct averages - the average THP golfer drives 249.7 yards, is 40.3 years old, weighs 209.7 lbs., is 6' tall, plays 1.8 games a week, and hits the range 1.2 times a week. Man, we're getting heavier.

Looking forward to getting on FlightScope this weekend to see if I'm close to my guess.

I'm younger, taller, and skinnier than those averages.

Sorry guys, my bad. Here are the correct averages - the average THP golfer drives 249.7 yards, is 40.3 years old, weighs 209.7 lbs., is 6' tall, plays 1.8 games a week, and hits the range 1.2 times a week. Man, we're getting heavier.

Do you happen to know the median's for age and weight?

If you plot age against weight and height and it showed that the gradient of your line is close to zero, then your THP data would support that the clincher for driving distance is mobility if the assumption that increasing age decreases mobility.

These are interesting numbers. My comparison against average is...
1.) Below. 250 is close to my average but Game Golf says a few bad shots drops my average to 240-245.
2.) Above. 49 y/o.
3.) Below. 185 lbs.
4.) Above. 6' 1".
5.) Above. 2-3 rounds per week.
6.) Above. My range average drops toward the end of the season but overall it's above 1.2x per week.

Above/below doesn't say much but it's an interesting comparison against the mean. Guess the bottom line is; older, taller, skinner and play more but can't hit my driver as far. Good thing my short game is better than average.

I don't think weight has any real bearing on driving distance unless you had a way to measure lean body mass, rather than just overall weight. Or even better, the proportion of fast twitch type IIx muscle fibers, as compared to type IIa, and type I slow twitch, that a person has.

Back