An owner's perspective?

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have a friend who owns and operates a successful golf course here in NE Wisconsin. He lurks on THP at times. I mentioned to him that he would be a valuable resource to the community here. I am not sure if we have other course owners here, but he has a different perspective on the game of golf. He is obviously fully enveloped in the business side of owning a golf course. From agronomy, to slow play, to reaching new golfers and growing the game. He is a Class A PGA Professional as well, not that we need that. But when questions come up why courses do certain things, he could chime in with facts and realities.

Do you think the forum members would get any benefit with having him around?

I think having access to any kind of knowledgeable opinion would improve any situation. It would personally help me see problems/solutions from a different side of the coin than I am used to seeing in relation to golf.

I think it would be really insightful. Imagine his input on the whole "people going onto the range to steal balls" thread.

I would say absolutely. It's always good to see things from another point of view.

Sure! It would be very interesting to hear his views.

Absolutely, everyone has an opinion on how golf courses should be ran, but getting opinions of those who actually have to make those decisions is excellent.

yes.

That's a lot of information I certainly don't have that they would be able to provide.

think it would huge to have someone with that type of knowledge/expertise.

Would give some very interesting perspective on a lot of things that us who love the game have no idea about.

I think it would be good. I see a ton of posts regarding both courses and golf shops/retail stores that are just extremely unrealistic and it would help to have someone in that industry be able to provide clarity and reasoning.

That being said, a lot of people simply have their minds made up on what should be expected at a course or at a store and won't change their minds regardless of what they are told about costs.

Every golfer is an armchair 'owner' as it is so some actual qualified insight would be awesome.

Absolutely. Would be great to get some insight regarding that part of the business.

Every golfer is an armchair 'owner' as it is so some actual qualified insight would be awesome.

To be fair, every course employee/owner is an equipment "expert"....Like most things the word qualified has to have a meaning. :D

To be fair, every course employee/owner is an equipment "expert"....Like most things the word qualified has to have a meaning. :D
So true.

I'd be interested in hearing how the guy with his own money on the line would act in certain instances and views certain topics. He may not be fully 'qualified' as you say, but it's a start.

I think this would be fantastic and mostly because my home course just got a new owner. The course had been owned by one family since opening in the 90s but now will be owned by a new family that isn't from the area and won't live in the area....I have a feeling interesting developments are on the way

sounds really interesting. i represented a golf course for many years. nothing fancy, and certainly not what would be deemed successful. tough business.

I think that would be great to get his perspective on things. He will just add to the wealth of knowledge already on the site.

Sure. I think his perspective would be interesting.

I'm sure his insight into the industry will be interesting. Like any small business owner there are a multitude of things that most consumers are not aware of.

Always nice to have different perspectives.

I'm sure it would be interesting and provide more insight into another side of this addiction we all have. I know Smallville has given some interesting perspectives from all of his experience at the course as well.

JM

He's a pro.

Would be very interesting to have their input for sure. I've always been interested in how folks on that side of things thought about some of the stuff we all chat about.

I personally wouldn't get anything out of it, but I'm sure others would enjoy the perspective.

Another perspective into the inner workings would be welcome

Back