2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha. I'm going to pay close attention next time because thinking about it right now, I can't say for sure what I'm actually doing lol. Been concentrating hard on squats and deads and obviously need a bit more focus on my bench form now that things are progressing. Thanks dude!

I can say however tho that I'm adding 5-10 each session with the squats and deads and feeling pretty damn good about them after just a few weeks of doing them. They are killers!
One other thing I want you to focus on, control the negative portion of the bench press. Take a big breath and hold it from the start to the end of each rep. Don't look down at your chest during the lift. Focus on controlling the negative, once you feel the bar on your chest, press hard without exhaling.

One other thing I want you to focus on, control the negative portion of the bench press. Take a big breath and hold it from the start to the end of each rep. Don't look down at your chest during the lift. Focus on controlling the negative, once you feel the bar on your chest, press hard without exhaling.
K, absolutely will try that and report back.

K, absolutely will try that and report back.
Yoda-There-Is-No-Try1.png

Funny I posted just last night that I wasn't working my chest. Well whatever I did yesterday dear lord my chest is sore today lol apparently I lied. It's weird tho because honestly I wasn't feeling it much before which is why I commented and last night I did nothing different besides add a bit more weight like usual. So why am I so sore today? I guess my routine wss a bit backed up because I missed a day last week so made it up this week. Crazy

Ran a 5K today with a bunch of folks from my gym. First time I've run since a 2 miler July 4.

Finished with a time I was happy with, but I think I'm going to pay for it tomorrow.

Quoting myself as follow-up. I can barely walk down stairs. I'll take squatting over running any day.

Weights tonight; squats, bench, and cleans for the first time. Tonight kicked my butt. Squats really worked me, bench was tough but not as bad as squats, and cleans for the first time worked muscles that haven't been used in awhile and I am already sore. I think my clean form could use a little work but it was getting better as I went along. Did 5x5 instead of 5x3 because I don't read so good, and also jumped with the bar below my knees twice... Ouch. Overall, I feel like I worked, and that is a good feeling.

The knee was bothering me all weekend...what better to do than power thru and knock out an eleven mile run in NYC. I'm sure I'll feel different in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weights tonight; squats, bench, and cleans for the first time. Tonight kicked my butt. Squats really worked me, bench was tough but not as bad as squats, and cleans for the first time worked muscles that haven't been used in awhile and I am already sore. I think my clean form could use a little work but it was getting better as I went along. Did 5x5 instead of 5x3 because I don't read so good, and also jumped with the bar below my knees twice... Ouch. Overall, I feel like I worked, and that is a good feeling.
Good work Neb. Keep in my, your upper body should do little to no work in a clean. It's just a jump with a barbell. Also, keep in mind cleans are 5 sets of 3. And yes, they will gas you

Blue I am soooooo embarrassed dude! I look at the young dudes chunking weights up on the bench press like it's a non deal. It really hurts my feelings and turning 65 makes me feel old. I still love to work out but you young strong dudes make me feel old. :beat-up:

Joe - I haven't been doing any of the oly lifts, do you think it's worth adding them to my routine? I talked to my trainer a bit as we're switching our plan at the gym from doing the group classes to having them write a plan for us, and he said because we do a lot of ballistic work with heavy kettlebells, it's not necessarily something I need to do in terms of rounding out the program, but he'd work them into my program if I wanted. Worth a shot?

Good work Neb. Keep in my, your upper body should do little to no work in a clean. It's just a jump with a barbell. Also, keep in mind cleans are 5 sets of 3. And yes, they will gas you
My traps are the muscles that are sore. Does that mean I'm doing it terribly wrong or is that normal? A quick Google says it is normal, but I don't trust the general internet, just the THP internet.

Blue I am soooooo embarrassed dude! I look at the young dudes chunking weights up on the bench press like it's a non deal. It really hurts my feelings and turning 65 makes me feel old. I still love to work out but you young strong dudes make me feel old. :beat-up:
I understand my man. I've said this before and I'm OK saying it again. Being in the gym is not a contest. Do not be timid or embarrassed. Be proud that you're willing to sweat.

Bill, you are different than a lot of the thpers in this thread, and a lot of guys in your gym. You have 65 years of bring whippersnappers to the woodshed.

But that doesn't mean you can't get stronger. If you would like some help, I'm here.

In the meantime, for some motivation, read this article.

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/04/28/strength-training-at-age-92-with-mark-rippetoe/#undefined

I understand my man. I've said this before and I'm OK saying it again. Being in the gym is not a contest. Do not be timid or embarrassed. Be proud that you're willing to sweat.

Bill, you are different than a lot of the thpers in this thread, and a lot of guys in your gym. You have 65 years of bring whippersnappers to the woodshed.

But that doesn't mean you can't get stronger. If you would like some help, I'm here.

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/04/28/strength-training-at-age-92-with-mark-rippetoe/#undefined

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those guys are probably looking at Bill thinking he's a badass for getting in there and getting work in.

My traps are the muscles that are sore. Does that mean I'm doing it terribly wrong or is that normal? A quick Google says it is normal, but I don't trust the general internet, just the THP internet.
Perfectly normal. You're doing them, I assume, right (probably)!
Joe - I haven't been doing any of the oly lifts, do you think it's worth adding them to my routine? I talked to my trainer a bit as we're switching our plan at the gym from doing the group classes to having them write a plan for us, and he said because we do a lot of ballistic work with heavy kettlebells, it's not necessarily something I need to do in terms of rounding out the program, but he'd work them into my program if I wanted. Worth a shot?
Depends on your goals. If you want cardio burn and conditioning, your ballistic kettlebell work is good. If you want more dynamic strength, as a golfer you should want more, the oly lifts are key. When cleaning and snatching, you will move heavier weight and can incrementally increase the load easier and for a longer period of time compared to kettlebells. Now, do not do 40 snatches for time or any of that crazy shít. Low reps, high sets, correct form, and you will get more strength work out of your training.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those guys are probably looking at Bill thinking he's a badass for getting in there and getting work in.
They should be. He is a badass.

This post is just awesome, thank you. As a guy who's been a damn bean pole pretty much my entire life I know exactly how it feels to be intimidated. I always said "eh I don't have any desire to be bigger, so screw working out". Truth was that I was tiny and intimidated so excuses made sense. Ive gained 40lbs since high school and am now actually on a good routine and pushing hard to reach my goal of another 10lbs. At 6'2" 130 and a direct descendant of Skelator, growing up, working out wasn't a great thing to think of lol im at 175lbs now because I finally said it's time. Thanks to this thread and the people I'm not afraid to say **** it, im working out and had to start somewhere, im also not afraid to talk about it now. I could of continued to make excuses and stay the same size or get to it and feel great about my gains looking back at the hard work. Now obviously we are all from different backrounds and the reasons for getting in shape can be totally different but my main point is that we all have to start somewhere. Beats the freaking hell out of never starting. Whether its gaining muscle, losing weight, maintaining at a certain age, it doesnt matter. We all just have to get our asses in gear and say it's time. It's also amazing how little you have to do sometimes to see results. I love everyone in here and Id hug you all. Sorry you cant say no to the bro hug. Keep at it everyone!!! I know I will be.

This post is just awesome, thank you. As a guy who's been a damn bean pole pretty much my entire life I know exactly how it feels to be intimidated. I always said "eh I don't have any desire to be bigger, so screw working out". Truth was that I was tiny and intimidated so excuses made sense. Ive gained 40lbs since high school and am now actually on a good routine and pushing hard to reach my goal of another 10lbs. At 6'2" 130 and a direct descendant of Skelator, growing up, working out wasn't a great thing to think of lol im at 175lbs now because I finally said it's time. Thanks to this thread and the people I'm not afraid to say **** it, im working out and had to start somewhere, im also not afraid to talk about it now. I could of continued to make excuses and stay the same size or get to it and feel great about my gains looking back at the hard work. Now obviously we are all from different backrounds and the reasons for getting in shape can be totally different but my main point is that we all have to start somewhere. Beats the freaking hell out of never starting. Whether its gaining muscle, losing weight, maintaining at a certain age, it doesnt matter. We all just have to get our asses in gear and say it's time. It's also amazing how little you have to do sometimes to see results. I love everyone in here and Id hug you all. Sorry you cant say no to the bro hug. Keep at it everyone!!! I know I will be.
A-freaking-men man. It's not about how much you can lift, its about getting off your ass and working.

5mi on the bike tonight, followed by shoulders, chest, and core work. Still on light weights just trying to get reacclimated to the gym.

I'm making a point to do core work; I admit I neglected it in the past, and with a back that's been acting up, I need to work on it and see how much that helps the golf game as well.

5mi on the bike tonight, followed by shoulders, chest, and core work. Still on light weights just trying to get reacclimated to the gym.

I'm making a point to do core work; I admit I neglected it in the past, and with a back that's been acting up, I need to work on it and see how much that helps the golf game as well.

Do as much as you can standing. No seated anything. No machines.

I like the 15set x 3rep scheme. It's brutal and builds crazy endurance.

Low reps, high sets, correct form, and you will get more strength work out of your training.

I like the 15set x 3rep scheme. It's brutal and builds crazy endurance.
That's a lot sets!!!! Holy buckets. I don't think Klokov works with that many sets. Jeez

Last edited:
That's a lot sets!!!! Holy buckets. I don't think Klokov works with that many sets. Jeez
That's like my whole week hahaha

65-85% of max. It's not THAT bad. :)

I'm in the gym. Training. I decided to work up to a single in the rack. It had been close to 6 weeks since I went for a single so I was conservative.

I was fast out of the hole but it was a grinder. It looks like white lights (powerlifting term for a good lift)

Got up early and did my cardio routine before breakfast. Feels great to already be done with my workout for the day, but getting up early kind of sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back