perhaps minor but how would you manage this hole

I didn't go all that way to lay up...18°UT right down that cart path over the trees. Then take my triple

200 to 220 yard shot along the yellow line isn't exactly easy peasy for most IMO.

I'm not a long hitter, but I'd much prefer the extra distance of playing a fade with the driver, instead of mishitting a 4i or 3hybrid. I'm pretty confident in my wedge game too. So driver, short chip, and putt for me.

Before deciding, I would want to know how far the front left green edge is from the tee box.
I would probably hit a 3w at the right corner, knowing my ball flight is a fade, and see if I can get to the front of the green (my 3w carry is 240-ish). Or I would try driver, but line up down the middle, see if my fade can get onto the green.
However, the smart play for me would be 3i or 3h to the center, leaving a full wedge.

Easy:

1. Attempt 220 shot, fail and push ball right
2. Punch back into fairway, but ball goes too far into the rough
3. Soft 9I from now 130, miss green
4. Chip onto green
5. 2 Putt for double

my version:

Play smart for the 220 and fairway approach:
hit 5 wood, pull hook it into deep left clear area over trees
duff punch out into a tree
next one long over green
1st chip short
2nd chip long
3 putt

This hole would fit just fine for my 18* hybrid on the yellow line and leave me a 3/4 56* wedge in.

Never having played this hole, it looks to me like 220 is not exactly risk free either. Push it a little and you're in the trap. Long or left and you have tree trouble. The truly safe shot to me looks to be short of the trap, leaving something more like 115-120 into the green, I'm guessing.

I think I'd probably be pretty tempted to play even a little further right than the red line--more like at the front of the green. It looks like there is plenty of room to miss left on that line.

I agree with this. The truly "safe" play is a 200 yd. 5 iron left of your yellow line to allow more room going around the corner if short of it. This leaves 110-120 which is still a wedge. Left pin it's a straight approach, right pin a fade into it. I see no advantage to the aggressive lines unless you can carry the trees and get up to the green complex (I don't have that shot). Barring that, why take risk to play from 60 yds instead of 110 yds? Drop 100 balls and statistically I doubt many of us are going to score very different from those two distances (maybe a half stroke). But, the down-side of being aggressive is a 2-3 shot swing.

Looks like lots of room long of the red line.

I'm hitting driver at or just left of the green side bunker. Take my chances from there.

4i off the tee along the 220 line, then a SW onto the green. I'll take my 2 putts for par.

Driver or 3 wood right at it. As long as there is no water or o.b. I'm going for it. I will on average get the ball closer to the hole from 20,30yds than I will from 55 or 90

3w right down the yellow line

Id take a poke at the green for sure. Probably driver to the back or over on a good hit. I see lots of room to miss so it would probably be worth it with my current game.

To me there are two plays here - 1 the 220 shot to the fairway. There isn't much reward in trying to get to 55 yards. Another thing to consider is that 90 yards is a full or close to full shot for most players. Where as 55 yds is a half shot. For many the full shot is easiest to play and will more than likely lead to better results. Option 2 is to go at the left green side bunker with 3 wood or driver. This would be my choice. Looking at the picture there doesn't seem to be much risk in this play and the reward is worth it, IMO. By going at the green I am bringing 2 into play and feel like know matter where the ball ends up. I am going to make 3 the majority of the time. The only way I would consider not going at the green was if I felt like I could not clear the trees. Otherwise it is a green light situation for me.

At the end of the day the correct choice is the one you think helps you score the lowest. Make a plan, stick with the plan and execute with confidence.

For me? that 220 to the corner than over at 90. I can control 90 yards way better than 55.

Id hit it down the cart path towards the green, lol. Try to land it to the right of the right bunker.

Or, I'd go the other way and lay up to the left and wedge one in. Just depends on how well I was hitting on that day.

220 all day long. i see no reason to try to cut the corner. i don't have hard data to prove it, but i think i'm apt to get the ball just as close if not closer from 90 yards as i am from 55 yards. easy decision.

I would definitely be hitting along the yellow line and probably hitting a club that could not go into the bunker. So if thats a 5i or 4 hybrid, thats what I'd hit. Anything inside of 130 and I like my chances of getting pretty close, I don't like those chances with a long-ish bunker shot. Plan for par and accept the birdie if the 2nd shot has the magic.

More than likely I'd take a 6 iron a bit more left of the yellow line, trying to be sure to be short of bunker and the end of fairway. That would leave me with 110-125 in which is much better distance for me than 90. If I'm feeling frisky, I may take a 4w or driver (depending on wind and actual carry needed) and go at the green

Never mind

Last edited:
Imo this is not a giant "risk/reward" shot. The reward imo is very minimal vs whats being gained. Is the red shot worth it for you here just to have about a55 yrd approach vs a 90 yrd approach? I can hit over that trap but for me and my logic its play to the 220 at the turn and even if am less than good I still have a very makeable approach. I just see too many people fail at trying to gain the extra 35 yrds and I always question in my mind - But why and for what? what was the big gain?
So what do you think about this smaller risk for not so big reward shot? Imo its interesting how (even on a shorter hole) people still tend to lose strokes for what imo is not that big a deal to just play what the hole is giving us. Its a easy par with a possible birdie look often enough anyway. Or at least when ones shots are executed within reason. But perhaps (as many seem to do on this hole) you don't agree with my logic.

This is not a true risk/reward shot between the two shots given. The only reward here is if you are longer and able to go for the green. The two shots proposed give you no benefit for the angle into the green. This being said, the truly safe shot would be to play at the widest part of the fairway while leaving your self the optimal angle to the green. If the tree height to right of the fairway bunker is not a problem for your second shot then a shot around 185-200 looks to leave you less than a 120 yards which for the normal golfer would still be a 9 iron or less.

If my math is correct. its about a 265/270 to the green. I am on the bunker with a fade.

More than likely I'd take a 6 iron a bit more left of the yellow line, trying to be sure to be short of bunker and the end of fairway. That would leave me with 110-125 in which is much better distance for me than 90. If I'm feeling frisky, I may take a 4w or driver (depending on wind and actual carry needed) and go at the green

Kang come on you are taking it at the green. You don't have the term "lay up" in your golf lingo

I go with the smaller risk shot. My course has this hole. I have seen maybe one or two get up & over the tree's but 99.99% of the players are going to be in the woods. This is normal woods with tall tree's, but I've seen a couple clear them and have just a wedge into the green, but that is a 1 out of 1000 shot.

33m9xeg.jpg

Smart play 3i hybrid just left of the bunker or over, risky play aim at the trees and hit driver over them on to the green. Then 3 putt for par.

2 iron wedge for birdie or par, those woods are aweful thick to be messing with.

This is not a true risk/reward shot between the two shots given. The only reward here is if you are longer and able to go for the green. The two shots proposed give you no benefit for the angle into the green. This being said, the truly safe shot would be to play at the widest part of the fairway while leaving your self the optimal angle to the green. If the tree height to right of the fairway bunker is not a problem for your second shot then a shot around 185-200 looks to leave you less than a 120 yards which for the normal golfer would still be a 9 iron or less.

this is what I mentioned as part of the reason for my post. Its sort of mindboggling to me, the amount of people that try to place the ball about 35 yrds closer and end up losing a stroke or two because of it . They increase their risk for only very littlest reward and fail more often than not when they would really have so much more success more often by just playing to the corner.

Back